Showing help! Lead rein classes!

dottieh

Visit site
Hi all,

Im looking for some advice re: showing! As a showjumper, showing is not my forte however I have competed NF ponies at county level showing and in HOYS qualfiers etc. so I do have half an idea HOWEVER......Lead rein classes, I haven't got a clue!

I have a beautiful dartmoor pony that I sold to a client for her daughter. The mother would like them to do lead rein classes. I will start them in a couple of unaff. classes, so the child gets the hang of it but we then would like to do some affiliated showing and head to some of the county shows through the summer. So, the question is, what do I need to do or know for these classes!?!

-Which showing society do I need to join for the pair to do this class? There are so many that I don't know which one covers this class!
-What finals (If any) can they be aiming to qualify for?
-How does the individual show work?
-Any ideas for matching outfits as to where you can get them from?!

Any other information that I haven't thought of is massively appreciated!

Thank you! :)

Visit site
NPS is usually the best one for native ponies. But it is expensive. They have a big Summer Championships with plenty of classes to do and it would also cover you for HOYS classes. If you aren't fussed for NPS Festivals then The Showing Register have their own championship show, it's cheap to join and will also allow you to do HOYS qualifiers. For most shows you don't need to be registered to anyone. It also depends on where in the country you are as to what you want to qualify for and where you want to go. Expect HOYS qualifiers to have 60+ ponies in the class!

So a lead rein class goes: All walk in onto the right rein, handler on the outside. The steward will stop someone in a corner and you all just stop in a line round the edge of the ring. You will then trot round the edge. Stop about 3/4 way round - back to walk for a few strides then halt and salute the judge - both of you! Leader just needs to nod. Then walk back to your place in line. Once everyone has trotted you will be called in. So basically an in-hand class to start with! The individual - stand up in front of the judge, child answers what ever questions. Now some judges will ask for a walk away, trot back, some wont. So I would always plan it for a trot back. Walk away, trot back, trot a figure of 8 - if the pony is very obedient slow to a walk or halt across the change of rein, trot the 2nd circle and along the long side until you are almost opposite the judge. Back to walk, back to halt, salute - again both of you. Try to make sure you plan your trotting so that the handler is on the outside on the final trot up the long side.

The lead rein should be held on the end, very loose - you are there as a safety net, not to actually lead the pony. The child should do the steering, stopping and starting. A good lead rein pony will take it's cues from the leader though. You click they walk, you click again you trot, you woah they woah - all quietly and as subtle as possible.

As for outfits ... That's a whole new kettle of fish! It depends on how much you want to spend - some people spend upwards of £500 on matching outfits! But you can buy them second hand for £3-400 or less.

Dynamo

Visit site
There are some good Facebook groups for buying second hand LR outfits. Search on Equipment for Lead Rein and First Ridden.

If you are anywhere north of the Home Counties, have a look at the Northern Counties Pony Association, theNCPA.co.uk It covers a really wide number of counties from Leicester northwards as far as Cumbria and from east to west across the Midlands. It's an intermediate level between local showing and county showing and has a lovely championship final show The Pony of the Year Show in September each year. Cheaper and more accessible than the big showing societies for just starting out.

Carlosmum

Visit site
You shouldn't need to belong to a society to show at most county shows NPS rules, but you may need to join in order to qualify for certain championships. However, the pony must be registered with the Dartmoor Breed society in order to enter 'affiliated' NPS mountain & moorland classes. I find matchy matchy outfits a bit OTT but is what everyone else is doing. TBH a good judge should not take the outfit into account only the pony and its behaviour, confirmation & suitability as a child's pony.