Showing help pls

katiejaye

Visit site
Hi all, I am interested in starting out with a little showing but have absolutely no idea about it at all (up until now I have only ever done dressage). Louis is now 19 and is in such amazing condition still with such a passion for working that a few people have suggested I do some veteran showing classes with him.

Basically I know absolutely nothing about showing at all and haven't had much luck finding any comprehensive advice online. I was interested to know how it all works i.e. if I need to register, how the competitions work, what attire is needed for both Louis and I, how I need to prepare and how the judging works? I am also interested in how the scoring is done and what I would be expected to do in a competition.

I am a complete showing virgin so all and any advice would be super :) Thanks

SmallHunter

Visit site
Ok I'll try and answer your questions on veteran showing it might be a long post:D

Most local shows will have a veteran ridden and inhand class, to compete in these you don't have to be a member of any society you just turn up pay your entry and go.
Then you get unaffiliated championships which may require you to become a member to compete at the final but are generally cheaper to join they normally have qualifiers at RC shows.
You also have the veteran horse society which has its championship at Olympia.
Link to their website
http://www.veteran-horse-showing.co.uk/

For turnout you need to turn out to type, for you your best bet is tweed jacket, blue or cream shirt with tie and tie pin, navy velvet hat and hairnet, beige jodphurs, long black boots, brown gloves and cane.

For your horse plain cavesson bridle with a pelham or double and a fairly straight cut saddle.

In a ridden class you will do a go round which will be everyone trotting and cantering together on both reins. Then the judge will line you up in the centre and you will be called out one by one to do an individual show. Keep the show short and sweet judges don't like shows which go on and on. Show trot and canter on both reins and no galloping for veterans.
After your individual you may be required to strip your horse and run them up for the judge. Walk straight away from the judge and turn and trot straight back the judge will move out of your way.

As far as I'm aware there is no scoring system for veterans at least not at local and RC level.

Hope that answers some questions

fleabittengrey

Visit site
I am a VHS judge and happy to answer any questions, but to be honest Wellybob above gave such a super response on the thread she links to, I would read that thoroughly and probably discuss with her from a competitors POV!

katiejaye

Visit site
ok I'm posting to all of you as you are all so helpful!

Sorry to ask lots of questions but here are a few more!:

For ridden veteran classes what should I be wearing? At the moment I only do dressage so I ride in black jacket, white jods, black boots, black beagler, white gloves, shirt and stock and pin. I know that spurs are not aloud but what are the rules on carrying a whip?

What should the horse be "wearing"! I ride medium BD so I have both a snaffle and a double bridle and a dressage saddle. What are the rules on bits, saddles, saddle cloths? How should the horse be turned out? Plaited or natural?

Ok anything else you can think of let me know :)

MissSBird

Visit site
Showing turnout is pretty much the opposite of dressage I'm afraid. What SmallHunter listed in her post is correct.

If you can't afford a tweed jacket at the moment then the black one will suffice, but best to change to coloured shirt and tie and get some beige/yellow/cream jodphurs. At most local level showing shows your beagler is out as they will require strapped hats to safety standards. The best type to get is navy with flesh straps, though brown and green are also acceptable.

At local level the judge won't be too fussy if your turnout isn't perfect, so take your time to build up the correct outfit. Personality can come out in your colour scheme, but a good general rule to try and follow is to never wear white and never wear black.

Assuming your horse isn't a pure native breed or arab, you will need to show plaited up, with a pulled tail. Without photos it's difficult to tell if you need a fancy ribboned browband, but 90% of horses don't so best to go plain. There are no set rules on saddles, though generally the straighter the better to an extent. Some judges don't like the dressage saddles that have huge knee blocks. Either use no numnah, or one that is the same colour as your saddle and is very discreet. Ideally you shouldn't see any of the numnah underneath the saddle.

If your horse is happy in a double bridle then great, but a snaffle would be acceptable as well at local level. A pelham with two reins is also another option if the horse isn't happy with two bits. Your bridle should be a hunter-style bridle with flat noseband/browband if possible, but at the lower levels this isn't essential.

The vast majority of show riders do not carry a whip, but instead carry a brown show cane which is purely for decoration and not really used. There are some brown whips now designed to look like canes with a flap on the end which can be used if you really need to, but best not to have to use it infront of the judge! Affiliated shows generally state that dressage whips are not allowed except in sidesaddle classes, and though rarely written this is generally followed at local level too.

Last edited: