Showing Help

princess+dude

Visit site
Hi

I intend on showing my youngster in an in hand youngstock class next week as well as an odd coloured class as he is a grey roan.

I am planning on wearing black trousers, my show shirt and stock and my jacket.... along with my black velvet hat as i have a feeling it may be exciting

Is this ok or am i missing anything??? Any help appreciated

shadowboy

Visit site
Are his legs dark or a light grey? The trousers should be opposite to the coloured legs of the horse so the judge can see the action easier without your legs blending in.

When judging I know not essential but I like to see handlers with appropriate gloves. Especially for potentially naughty youngsters!

whisp&willow

Visit site
if he is only roan then he cannot enter coloured classes- only if he is white with patches of roan... if you see what i mean?! (will gladly be corrected if im wrong! ;) )

as for showing attire then it depends on the level of the show and the class entered.

Definately wear a hat!! they do say to wear dark trousers if the horse has white legs and visa-versa. when showing my coloured yearling last year i wore brown cords and short boots, green tweed jacket with a white shirt and red tie, brown gloves and cane, and a blue velvet hat with flesh coloured harness.

good luck- and have fun- thats the main thing!!! ;)

princess+dude

Visit site
Hi

Yes i forgot gloves, always have them on especially with him,

The schedule said in odd coloured roans could enter???? Will double check

On his front legs he is white up to his knees and his hing legs are completely white... Dont know if that helps

Its his first time out so its more for the experience but definately a bonus if we win anything!!! :)

SmallHunter

Visit site
if he is only roan then he cannot enter coloured classes- only if he is white with patches of roan... if you see what i mean?! (will gladly be corrected if im wrong! ;) )

as for showing attire then it depends on the level of the show and the class entered.

Definately wear a hat!! they do say to wear dark trousers if the horse has white legs and visa-versa. when showing my coloured yearling last year i wore brown cords and short boots, green tweed jacket with a white shirt and red tie, brown gloves and cane, and a blue velvet hat with flesh coloured harness.

good luck- and have fun- thats the main thing!!! ;)

I'm afraid you are wrong ODD coloured classes are for appaloosa's, roans, palominos, duns not skewbalds and piebalds.

Ladylina83

Visit site
I'm sure for mixed youngstock at local level you will be fine. Ideally you need to turn out to type so keep your eyes open to other people in the ring. I would rather see you in a shirt and tie to be honest. There are not many classes that a white stock and dark jacket are correct for. And you should always wear a hat of some sort in the show ring - be it showing, judging or just grooming, for YS you are right to wear your riding hat for safety

What breed is he.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Local level you will be ok with black hat etc, but strictly speaking for showing black is not correct.

These are a couple of my inhand outfits - you can pick up jackets etc on ebay second hand fairly cheaply and shirts and ties can be picked up in charity shops and ebay cheaply.

This is how I started out

Chancer-BSPA.jpg

and this is how I now turn out - I now wear beige trousers with black or dark brown boots

ChancerinhandBSPAWCC2010.jpg

Yes I am bald in the picture - was having chemo at the time.

Trousers - dark colour for light legs and vice versa for dark legs. However, many people do go for beige.

You should wear gloves, ideally brown or yellow and a hat. For youngstock, a hard hat is recommended and if under 18, often is mandatory. I have worn a trilby in the past and but wear a very old hard hat I bought and removed the old fashioned elastic strap which is great for in hand. Any colour apart from black is correct, I use brown and navy depending on which tweed and horse I am showing.

If you have long hair, it should be tied back and in a bun and I used to wear a net over mine when it was waist length to keep in under control. I now have short hair so have it so nothing is sticking out looking untidy and I do use a false bun when doing high level shows.

Ideally to finish a show cane and make sure your tack is very clean and simple. If you can also get a neat piece of elastic that blends in with your jacket to attach your number, this is a cheap and effective way of creating the overall neat and tidy picture.

Above all, have fun and showing is great experience for a youngster to get out and see the world. I showed Stinky from 18 months and when he started ridden showing, he took it all in his stride.

Brandy

Visit site
At local level you should be fine - but as others have said, ideally you would have a tweed jacket, short and tie. Trousers light if legs are dark etc. Gloves - brown or tan/mustard, and brown showing cane. Hard hat should be navy velvet.

Good luck and have fun!!