Showing Hunter Classes/Irish Draught

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Hi there, Just a quickie for all you showing bods.

Ive started doing alot more showing etc with my ID, I show him plaited up, my mane plaiting is average but my tail plaits are diabolical!!!

Obviously I hope to get better with practice but dont want to lose marks cos my plaits are so bad, so would it be acceptable if I showed him with his tail shaved/clipped at the top instead, i'll still be plaiting his mane tho. I think there is some hope for improvement with my manes but my tails are a lost cause!

Many thanks for your help.

Luv Jayne xx

P.S. If it is acceptable to shave his tail, would anyone be kind enough to post a piccy of a shaved tail so I can see one close up. Cheers xx

diamondgeezer

Visit site
Hiya.
It will be fine to pull his tail. I have a rising 2yr old 3/4 ID that i show in the hunter youngstock classes. I am seriously pants at plaiting tails so i do his with a oster rake. which looks better than clipping as some judges dont like the clipped look. (so i have been told) I had never done showing before i bought my youngster as used to SJ my mare so could get away with just brushing her mane and tail through. Good luck with your showing!!!

These are only pic's of his back end i have, hope they help. These are him as a yearling after a pre show bath, (OH that is not into horses took him for a wander to help him to dry off!! And who says its us girlies that are soft!!! He He)

Dex.jpg

Dex-2.jpg

spacefaer

Visit site
Pulled or raked tails are perfectly acceptable - most people have them rather than plaited as it's one less thing to do on the day!

Speaking from experience, NEVER NEVER NEVER clip your horse's tail! You have to do it forever otherwise it grows out like the proverbial bog brush - imagine a hogged mane growing out and then transfer that thick spiky hard growth to the tail :( :(

If you don't regret doing it, then if you ever sold your boy, then the person who bought him would be cursing you for it!!

Ravenwood

Visit site
Please don't clip his tail - I think that looks absolutely awful :(

Do as suggested above - get yourself a tail rake and rake from the underside by the dock round across to the middle - do it a very little at a time and keep stopping to look - its so easy to take out too much!

Its really easy and you get an excellent finish - just need to tweak out a few odd hairs at the top with your fingers :)

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Hi Ravenwood and Spacefaer, thanks lots for your replies, phew, thank god I dont have to try and plait anymore, haha!

Right so a rake would be best, dont worry I wont attack it with the clippers after what youve both said, it sounds like it would be worse than my plaits, haha!

Can you recommend a rake Ravenwood? I actually work in an equestrian shop and I think ive seen these rake thingies in our trade mags?

Thanks both of you, much appreciated.

P.S. Ravenwood your youngster looks gorgeous! xx

Ravenwood

Visit site
Bless you - those ponies are not mine - they are wild on the moor :)

Can't remember the make of the rake - Ostler? I think you get different grades and I bought the medium as my mare has a fairly soft tail anyway.

I did a show hunter class last week

Not sure if this will work or not

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...lobal&view=global&subj=547424993&id=549097931

LizzieJ from here plaited her tail for me though!

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Oh my god, I meant Diamondgeezers piccies!!! So sorry Diamondgeezer, I better not have another glass of vino afterall, haha!!! I think it must have been the plaiting stress of this afternoon. I'm taking my ID and hubby is taking his coloured to a show tomorrow so ive had them both to plait after their baths!!!! I was losing the bloody will to live by the end!!!!

Anyway thanks lots Ravenwood, your pics are fab too of the gee gees on the moor!

Cheers to you all for the fab advice and i'm sorry Diamondgeezer for being such an idiot!!!

Luv Jayne xx