Showing in Central Scotland

RhossT

Visit site
Do you think anyone would be interested in showing my pony in hand? She would probably benefit from a few in-hand outings but I would rather watch paint dry myself!

RhossT

Visit site
You will probably find plentiful teenagers and bored mums willing but you would probably have to do all the donkey work and take the pony to shows.
Transport isn't an issue but not sure what you mean by the donkey work. I don't know anything about showing.

sarahann1

Visit site
Where are you based? It could be worth getting in touch with your local pony club or riding club?

Donkey work = bathing, plaiting if appropriate for the breed, keeping said pony clean after bathing, being on hand with baby wipes to wipe poo off of back legs (even if the normally miss their legs, they WILL hit them at a show) and grass/mud stains off the fronts/backs, depending on the pony and class, having vaseline at the ready for highlighting eyes, and muzzle, being constantly ready with a tail brush, using just enough product to make it swish and gleam, but no so much the judge will end up with greasy hands. If you horse has black hooves, painting them with that blackening stuff whilst praying you don't get it on your hands, if they have white hooves using just enough hoof oil to make them tidy but no so much they become sticky and end up holding onto grass and muck.

Oh, and I forgot about the tack cleaning and depending on what classes you are doing, having the right tack available at the right time, this may mean carrying tack about with numerous other bits of cleaning stuff if classes are likely to run close together.

Then there is the thick skin you need to grow if you don't already have it for the occasion that you've done all of the above and your still placed last, in the piddling rain.

Good luck, lol :)

Last edited:

RhossT

Visit site
Sarahann1 - thanks. Think I will give it a miss. Can't remember last time I washed a horse and have never plaited!

Kallibear

Visit site
There's plenty of people who'd show a pony for you.

If they're doing all the work without payment then it'll most likely be a teenager or a more novice adult looking for more experience but they're not all bad! You'd need to be there to transport and help if they get stuck but otherwise they'd do most of the work for you.

If you're willing to do all the work and just hand a ready pony over then you'd probably find someone experienced with a bit of time on their hands who'd do it for free.

Or if you're willing to pay then there's plenty of people who'd do all the prep work as well, for a cost.

What kind of pony do you have? That greatly affects the time needed to get ready!

RhossT

Visit site
Kallibear - she is a Section A,if that makes a difference. I definitely couldn't be bothered with all the prep, would want to hand the pony over for the day! I think I will abandon the idea. It was one of those helpful suggestions which probably won't work in practice.I don't intend to show her in the future,just looking for some lowkey outings, and she apparently comes from good showing lines, whatever that means.