Showing in Ireland!

kimberleigh

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I seem to be hitting a bit of a brick wall in terms of actually finding much info on what would be the Irish equivalent to 'county level' showing in the UK.

A friend of mine has a Connemara stud, standing 3 stallions, 40 brood mares with foals at foot and numerous youngstock. He has some absolutely stunning animals and is wanting to reduce in numbers over the next couple of years. Ive told him that if he can get the best of them out doing a bit competitively then it will only aid his chances of not only finding them the best homes for decent prices, but it will also help advertise the stallions and the youngstock they produce.

I've told him I will help all I can but I'm not getting very far!

Can anyone point me in the right direction of websites etc/give any advice?

Thanks in advance 😃

Blixen Vixen

Visit site
Hi Kimberleigh, the equivalent of County level U.K. would be the bigger Irish shows. Like Tralee, Limerick and Charleville for instance. Those shows have plenty of showing competitions. What part of the country are you in, google the biggest shows around you that come to mind and look at the showing section. If it’s extensive than that would be a good place to start.

Obviously Clifden is the showing Holy Grail for Connie’s.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Hi 😃 I'm in Roscommon but have no idea which big shows are closest to here 🙈

One of his stallions is competing in the Puissance at Cliften in August so will be going along ask people about the showing side!

Wheels

Visit site
Most agricultural shows have a decent showing section - Balmoral in the north and Dublin show are two of the biggest then there's the likes of the Northern Ireland festival (held in Cavan though in the early spring), tattersalls summer show in july, equifestival in mullingar end June, and of course as someone has suggested above, Clifden where they have a show and Connemara pony sale.

A lot of large towns in Northern Ireland have an agricultural show in the early summer - a lot are already done and dusted.

Are your friends ponies pure breed and fully registered?

kimberleigh

Visit site
Most agricultural shows have a decent showing section - Balmoral in the north and Dublin show are two of the biggest then there's the likes of the Northern Ireland festival (held in Cavan though in the early spring), tattersalls summer show in july, equifestival in mullingar end June, and of course as someone has suggested above, Clifden where they have a show and Connemara pony sale.

A lot of large towns in Northern Ireland have an agricultural show in the early summer - a lot are already done and dusted.

Are your friends ponies pure breed and fully registered?

Thank you! Yes, all pure bred and fully registered

kimberleigh

Visit site
Doesn't your friend have any contacts in the Connemara world? How has he previously sold his stock?

He is the first to admit he has zero interest in the competition side of things - he has only had the ponies 7 years and got into them to give himself a hobby. He sells his foals and youngstock both privately and at the sales in Clifden

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Why don't you contact the Irish Shows Association? Also the Connemara Pony Society. Cavan Sales has a dedicated Connemara sale at the end of the year (I think), and there are always pony buyers at any of the regular larger sales, like Goresbridge. I don't know that showing will actually add all that much to the marketability, but being rideable and handleable certainly will.

Last edited:

kimberleigh

Visit site
Why don't you contact the Irish Shows Association? Also the Connemara Pony Society. Cavan Sales has a dedicated Connemara sale at the end of the year (I think), and there are always pony buyers at any of the regular larger sales, like Goresbridge. I don't know that showing will actually add all that much to the marketability, but being rideable and handleable certainly will.

Thank you 😃