Showing Judging - fair play or not?

peanutpussycat

Visit site
Why is it that a horse can go badly for a judge when ridden by a 'pro' and yet if an amateur horse goes badly, you feel like the class dunce.

Have you been judged fairly this season?? Comments please. Please don't mention names of judges as it's not fair and unethical. thanks. (PPC opening that can of worms!!!
shocked.gif
mad.gif
)

Oaksflight

Visit site
One that got placed 3rd in Open Hunter didn't seem to give judge a nice ride. Pulling his head right down all the time, leaning on the bit, etc. Was suprised he put it third.

But to be honest, was a bit, erm.. suprised by judges riding. He got on mine, lifted reins up and started flapping them to get him to walk on. Don't think Hal really knew what to think!

peanutpussycat

Visit site
I watched a side saddle class at RIHS and the coloured cob, lovely as it was, napped sideways with the judge and nearly ran her into the hedge jump!! A little grey cob that only did a minor mishap in the initial go round, gave a gr8 ride, gr8 show, some one handed, got placed below the coloured, because the coloured belonged to a celeb!!! hows that fair. 60% of the marks go on the ride. I think they need to put marks on display and defend their actions.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Oh god, showing is just the WORST disipline on the planet. Im sorry, but it is SO opinionated that its a joke! 80% of the time whenever Ive shown (no, I dont do it at a high level - no way!) we have all been left with our mouthes open (us riders, spectators etc.).

Take for example the last time I went showing. I put my big welshie in a native class - the judge came over and asked "Are you in the right class?? This is for mountain & moorlands?!) - MY BOY IS 100% PURE REGISTERED WELSH! Just because he is quite large for a welsh, it worried me that they didnt even KNOW a welsh when they saw one!! I think they thought he was a Friesian or something!!

Needless to say, we were placed way down the line behind naughty, scruffy ponies even though my boy went extremely well and looked "stunning" (as about 3 people watching came over and said after!)....... hmmmm......

Stupid showing. Give me my eventing and show jumping any day! Not much arguement in that!

Jo C

Visit site
As far as I am aware they do display the marks at RIHS, maybe the cob fell down on conformation. Don't get me wrong I know as well as the next person that showing can be how shall I say 'slightly unfair' but its easy to be a ringside judge. At the end of the day if you don't like it don't do it.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
What sidesaddle class are you talking about where the competitors do an individual show and the judge does not ride? I can only think of the concours d'elegance which is not a normal showing class as it is based on the overall appearance. Happy to be corrected though
laugh.gif

peanutpussycat

Visit site
This was ladies side-saddle and they were required to give a ride and individual show. I think that it was a hard class to judge but could have been fairer.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
As in the hunters? I have never seen them do an individual before. Or was it the show hack and cob class - again when I did this I never did an individual. Wonder if it was some new class that was like a Concours. Trouble is with side saddle that a horse look like it is going beautifully but be like a pneumatic drill to ride!

peanutpussycat

Visit site
They weren't hunters so must have been show hack n wotsit class. Yes all did individuals too. Do you feel you are always judged fairly tho? You must be considered a 'pro' given your track record tho.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Nope - I only ride once every two weeks at the mo as I live 180 miles round trip from my horse!!! The yard is my sisters and she produces all the horses from there. Yes, we do feel hard done by sometimes, but it is hard judging and if you have a bad experience then we don't go under that judge again. Bob gets hacked out by the grooms (as he is the safe one) so doesn't get any professional schooling any more (think he is quite glad about that ...) His job is to go to the park with the young horses and make sure they don't have heart attacks when they see new things.
I still wonder if the class you saw was the Concours class - sounds a bit like it. I did two of those. Came 3rd at the Royal in a massive class and came second last at Hickstead in a much smaller class. No rhyme or reason - depends on what the judge is looking for! Don't do it any more as sidesaddle was too painful.