Showing People - Riding Hat Help Needed

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
We sponsor a showing rider.

We've asked her to wear a safety hat as opposed to the beagler type, which we'll pay for and which she's happy to wear.

Hit a snag in that the Charles Owen 'Fiona' isn't going to be allowed under some new ruling, so looked at the Hampton or the Wellington, which are both Charles Owen, but can't find any to try for love nor money anywhere within a fifty mile radius of where she lives (Home Counties).

Have spoken to Charles Owen and they've tried to help, but they're the manufacturer and not retailers so aren't set up to sell to an individual, which we count as due to not being an equine business.

Two questions, for which I can offer virtual chocolate cake (virtual because I somehow managed to eat the last slice without realising it whilst stressing about hat hunting), and my eternal thanks:

1. What hats are you showing peeps wearing?

2. If the Hampton or the Wellington, where the heck did you get yours from?

Thank you kindly. I maybe able to wrestle the box of Ferrero Roche put of a Ds hand for any useful answers :)

JustKickOn

Visit site
If you know what size hat she takes for CO, can the shop order one in??

The Wellington is the same type of fit as the J3, but the J3 is the skull. If she can try that on, you could always order the Wellington online.

A friend has recently bought a new hat which I think is similar to the Wellington (it may be that, or the John Whittaker version) and she got it from Ingatestone in Essex.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you kindly :) *hands over only slightly dented FR*

She's one of two sizes apparently, which isn't helping as the stores she's spoken to want to charge restocking fees and postage. It's quite possible that we could end up getting two hats to try, neither fitting and having to pay circa £60 (restocking fees and postage x 2) and no hat, or £180 for the hat plus circa £30 to send the other one back.

I've (thankfully!) never had this sort of hassle buying a hat, which is a good job given how many I've bought over the years *looks for raised eyebrow emoticon*

jakkibag

Visit site
Charles Owen show jumper Xp, still allowed under the new hat rulings and looks like a traditional hat with a tan leather harness.

humblepie

Visit site
Ha, I bought a Hampton last year.....found one that a local saddler had ordered for someone who then never collected it. Was right size. I know what you mean though about trying to find one.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you all :) *hands out remains of FRs*

I wonder why the Hampton and Wellington are so hard to come by, especially with the new ruling effectively removing the Fiona from the running.

I thought the Showjumper would be a good option, but I believe she's tried it and it doesn't suit. She wants a lower crown? Does it make a difference re. the type of showing as to what one should wear/look like in the hat department?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Hmm not sure, though I would think it more matters as to what suits the rider best (with regards face shape etc) so it completes the overall picture.

conniegirl

Visit site
The h2000 has a lower crown I think
Tbh provided it is navy velvet with a flesh coloured harness it doesn't matter the shape or brand

Last edited:

DD265

Visit site
The Wellington Classic is the lowest, but it has a section of black padding at the back which puts some people off.

Next is the Showjumper XP (which I have).

After that are the Fiona and Hampton, the Hampton being the replacement for the Fiona in terms of it being up to these new standards. These are the slimline hats and the least bulky.

Then it's the H2000 and H2000sq (the difference being the SQ has a squared off peak, more desirable at the time) which have the highest crowns.

The Showjumper XP and H2000 fit the same (and also like the Ventura skull). The Fiona felt very different. I haven't tried the Wellington or Hampton.

Sundae

Visit site
Also wanted to say, I am not sure you would be able to return if it doesn't fit? I worked in retail & we were not under any circumstances allowed to take any protective gear back (in case it has been damaged unintentionally).... Just thought might be worth mentioning :)

Wheels

Visit site
some places do allow you to return headgear but it's worth asking that in advance and saving a copy of the email just in case.

I have the Hampton - I only use it for shows and have had it for approximately 10 or 11 years, I love it, it's such nice velvet and so comfy!! Sorry, can't for the life of me remember where it came from though

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Just spoken to Charles Owen again (they've been very helpful!).

The big shows have stores who stock the Hampton and the Wellington, i.e. TC Tack, Townfields, and Ayrshire.

I have to say, as an aside, that Thermatex have been absolute stars :) They have put up with my numpty questions and off their own bat sorted out a potential issue regarding colours (they're actually making us a new rug :) ).

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
More thank yous :)

Sorry, I wasn't clear - not taking a hat and returning it, but ordering one and trying it on in the store and the store sending it back to CO.

A good detailed list, thank you :) I'll point her to this thread :)