Showing Question on 'Bits'

jayvee

Visit site
Hope this is the right place to put this.
I hope to show my mare ridden this coming season in hunter classes, ridden and or workers (though she is more of a worker imo). Start off local level as a novice and see how we go (county would be our highest ambition I think if we're lucky)!
But the question is, she goes beautifully in the Neue Schule Team Up loose ring snaffle, but have been thinking on what to use for the ring!
I have tried her in a s/s and cooper linked pelham, she didn't like it she was like chewing a wasp!
I bought a 2nd hand NS straight bar salox with low port pelham, much quieter mouth but more of a wooden/heavier feel, but certainly not a dead feel.
I'd buy the NS lozenge/jointed pelham but cant afford the £60+
I have a soft rubber pelham to try but it is really fat and I doubt she will like it (but then she could surprise me).

She likes the slim NS team up snaffle (12mm), she becomes light and carries herself lovely, so if that is what she likes does it matter if I show her in that?
And if we did or are able to attempt some higher kalibre classes would we be poo-pooed for being in a snaffle?

Whats your experience guys regards snaffles in hunter classes
confused.gif

kezimac

Visit site
depends what class you doing - if its a 'novice' class - i.e. novice best rider or novice riding horse then has to be shown in a snaffle. otherwise can be rugby pelham (use sliphead) or normal pelham or double.

and imo i think if your horse goes well in a snaffle leave her in it (i have only done local level showing thou - sure someone will be along soon with more experience)

Mari

Visit site
How old is the mare? Judges seem to expect them to be in 2 reins if they're not babies. However at local level you should be ok in a snaffle especially if she goes well in it. I use a Neue schule Team up (thin) loose ring snaffle & a Neue Schule (thin) Mors L'Hotte weymouth on my double & horse loves them but I showed him for the first 2 seasons just in the snaffle. Some judges said he should be in a double & some loved it that he was a young horse going so well in a simple snaffle. I also did Search For A Star at HOYS in just the snaffle & won. Richard Ramsey said to show him in whatever he went best in - so I did.

Mickyjoe

Visit site
I show mine in workers in snaffles (varying types) and it hasn't done their winnings any harm. I'm not talking local level either. For the weight classes or small hunters I would use a double though (or a pelham if I had to).

spacefaer

Visit site
For workers, I would use what works - I've seen a horse shown in an American gag before now (!) If she's nice in a snaffle, use that - it's more important that she jumps happily and clear than that she's in a 2 rein bit.

For the flat classes - at local level, a snaffle would be fine, but County - a Rugby pelham or double.

FYI - for Hunter Showing
smile.gif

http://www.sporthorsegb.co.uk/shows/Show%20Regs%20&%20List%20of%20Judges%202009.pdf

EllieK

Visit site
If she is happy in a snaffle stick with it for workers. A snaffle isn't the normal for county flat hunter classes (unless novice class) but I see no real reason why you couldn't if she is happiest that way. Some judges may not like it, but that can be said for most things showing!!

jayvee

Visit site
Thankyou all for your answers, most helpful. Kinda goes with how I feel or imagine it would be, so nice to know it's 'one of those' at least.
Mari, she is 7. You'd think old enought to know better and have experience but she's quite a complex madam and has been a slow bring-er-on-er.
We were very successful last year though with some in-hand at local level.

I will stick with the snaffle, see how that goes, have to say my inward feeling is my horse's comfort is more important than the judges desire. you'd think they'd be impressed if a horse goes better in a snaffle rather than a double
crazy.gif

Thanks again for replies and the 'rule book' eek thats alot to read, it has made me feel better
smile.gif

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
Ridden hunter showing should be a pelham/double. (i use a rugby pelham and it looks the part without 2 bits in their mouth)

Working hunters in theory you are able to show in whatever you want! the WH that won at hoys this year was in a grackle nose band and I think a gag bit, but I cant remember, may have been a snaffle........... (goes away to think)

If its the middle mouth piece she doesnt like then id say try to find a mouthpiece like the neule scheule (sp?!) bits. Do they not do a pelham/rugby pelham?

My rugby pelham is a ss french link one and almost every horse I have put in it have been happy with it.

Maybe try asking on the bit bank in this forum to see if anyone has one for sale cheaper than brand new, or one you could loan to try and see what she thinks before buying?