Showing saddles - what to go for...

Rudey

Visit site
I do inhand classes with my 3 year old coloured non native. In the next couple of years, I will be looking into ridden showing with him. I know it's a way off just yet, but I was intrigued to know what people go for in a showing saddle. I have no experience whatsoever when it comes down to ridden showing.

The colour choice would be brown, but what make/model, quality, price, etc... do I go for. I know it may sound daft - but would a nice quality saddle, which is comfy to ride in for the Judge sway part of the judging?

Please can you share your experiences of what to look out for, and what to avoid, that would be a great help thanks! xx :)

trendybraincell

Visit site
Whatever fit the horse best :)

I have a Richmond Kings showing saddle, its a very nice neat little saddle and comfy to ride in. It was made to measure when he was 4, and I'm still using the same saddle now he's 9, just have it checked and altered annually (or more if necessary)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I too uise a working hunter saddle, which I agree with Pastie2, shows off her shoulder well. Mine is a Jeffries, only 161/2 inch as the mare is so short coupled.

Visit site
I have to say, of all my show saddles, I do love my Jeffries one best. It is a close contact straight cut with a square cantle and the comfiest seat ever! My only problem is it is black but that doesn't matter too much these days. My other comfey one is my Hazelden one. Again, close contact straight cut in havannah. If you plan on doing some jumping with your horse and would rather not have 2 saddles then defo get a Workers saddle. If you are just going to do pure showing then go for a straight cut one.

mrogers

Visit site
I go for working hunter, for the extra security of knee rolls. I also like suede seats. Suede seat + sticky bum jods = super glue backside

Rudey

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone, muchly appreciated. I'm on my stupid phone at the moment, so will respond properly when I get home. Would anyone like to post photos of yourselves in/out of saddle please?

FAO TFC: Please don't move this post to photo gallery if people are kind enough to post photo's showing me different saddles xx