Showing secrets????

bex1984

Visit site
Not really a secret, but for in hand showing run like billy-o when you trot up so the horse steps out.

My pony is lazy and I always give him a tap on the shoulder (when in hand showing) just before the first individual trot up to remind him that he needs to move.

Oh and always take baby wipes with you!!!
smile.gif

bex1984

Visit site
another thing - try to match your steps with your horse's front legs, so it doesn't look like a mess of legs to the judge...hope that makes sense?!
what classes are you doing?

dsophiea

Visit site
if your doing ridden, i Always make use of the corners and always make sure that i have my own space, and i never try to cut in front of the judges as i think it annoys them and its seems as if you are saying 'look at me'.
good luck and have fun
smile.gif

0ldmare

Visit site
If showing in hand carry a stuck or cane, then if you suffer from braking problems at the end of the trot up you can hold the stick up in front of the horses face to catch their attention. I learnt this when showing a welsh D where you have to run like a thing possessed and stopping can be an issue!

If ridden you can always circle if you are getting too close to the one in front if they are going slowly, or if you need to rebalance. Just make sure you look for a big enough gap when rejoining the rest of the horses so you don't impact someone else.

Keep your individual show reasonably short showing trot and canter on both reins and a little lengthening in canter if you can. (Judges start to lose the will to live if someone, for example, walks a figure of 8 or trots around endlessly!

But most of all don't take it to heart if you end up down the line. Next week you might win
smile.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
Yeah here's a tip.

DON'T DO IT
grin.gif
lol Only kidding.

Keep your individual shows short and sweet, this way your judge won't fall asleep and you also won't draw attention to the areas that you need to work on.

I can tell you things that judges don't like to see, which is very common:-

Don't crowd the judge, too many people drag there horses right up underneath the judges nose so she/he actually has to move to avoid the competitor parking their horse on them or take a hike around the ring to actually go over you, the judge should not have to move, until she needs to walk around/go over the horse.

If using white chalk on feathers and socks etc, don't dorb it all over the horse feet, white socks nice, white hooves....not a good luck.

Showing jackets that are too big, long sleeves and long flaps look dreadful, parents that buy show jackets 2 sizes too big for their children to grow into etc

A well shod horse, its surprising how many people show their horses that are in dire need of the farrier or there feet trimming.

Tack that actually fits.

Excessive use of oil on horse coats, the poor judge feels like she's dipped her hand a deep fat fryer after she's gone over your horse, its false, good diet and elbow grease give a horse a natural bloom, not being drenched all over in baby oil.

And remember to
smile.gif
and look like you are enjoying yourself...even if your not.
grin.gif

Hippona

Visit site
Agree with the too much baby oil thing....I put a tidgy amount on a baby wipe and wipe it around muzzle and eyes.

Baby wipes are indespensible...I use them for everything!!

Plain understated brown leather tack...less of the enormous ribbony browbands with massive buttons....

No (or very discreet) numnah.

A sweet or crips packet in your jacket pocket to make your pony prick his ears up.

Big smile!

harrihjc

Visit site
When you finish your show and halt, do it at a distance from the judge where if they had a camera they could take a perfect side on shot of your horse, so don't end up standing on top of them or on the other side of the ring.

Don't take things personally, some people will love your horse, others won't. Mine has always either come first or last with no exceptions, regardless of how he's behaved!

saskia295

Visit site
If you're doing ridden, PLEASE don't cut up other competitors. LOOK where you're going and always smile!

Remember, manners are everything in the ring, so make sure your horse is tip top!

Tennyson

Visit site
How do you teach a horse to stand?! I know it sounds like a daft question but my normally very patient ISH seems to have a big problem with standing quietly in the line up - normally backing into other horses which is NEVER a good look!! It doesnt seem to matter how quietly I sit, or how much fly spray I use, and god forbid if I told him off he would probably have a nervous breakdown! So what should I do? He stands quietly on the yard, but same problem again out hacking esp. at junctions... Any suggestions?!