Showing turnout for yearlings

appylass

Visit site
A friend has asked me to ask this question and I thought 'Breeding' would be the best place. My friend has a hunter-type yearling and is hoping to show him in hand this summer. We are not sure if it would be correct to pull his tail or plait it? His mane will be plaited. I know adults would have their tails pulled but I'm sure I've seen youngsters with plaited tails or was that just foals?
confused.gif

Thak you in advance for any advice
smile.gif

rocketdog69

Visit site
My youngster will be shown this year in 2yr old hunter classes. The showing yard he is going to asked me did I want his tail plaited or pulled. He has a good tail so I said plaited. Not aware that it makes a difference but I think babies look better fully plaited when they have a good tail!

zizz

Visit site
I'm the same I always use a tial rake, seems to me it takes so long to get them clean and plaited in the mornings, why wast etime plaiting their tails?

toffeesmarty

Visit site
I agree tail rakes are wonderful and give a brilliant finish.
However, I'd still rather plait a youngster as until they get a full length tail I think its unfair to thin out what they do. Personal choice.

TangoCurly

Visit site
Does this also apply to a sports horse yearling, ie should i be plaiting Curly's tail and mane rather than pulling the tail?

Thanks (and sorry for hijacking the post).