Showing

missshell

Visit site
Im wondering how you get your foot on the ladder with regards to showing?
My pups Dad and grandad are Show Champions. He looks very much like his dad and i would love to show him.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Im wondering how you get your foot on the ladder with regards to showing?
My pups Dad and grandad are Show Champions. He looks very much like his dad and i would love to show him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post may interest me as I will have three to show this coming summer. I have a list of ag shows already.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I'm planning on doing ringcraft training classes with Rhu, and attending shows without him over the winter to get a feel for what happens and what they do. I'm hoping to show him around April/May time.

Ringcraft classes will teach your dog to stand, stand on a table if they are a small breed, have them checked over, heel, etc. It's the basis of showing.

You can show from 6 months.
smile.gif

missshell

Visit site
Oooh hes 6 months on the 16th!!
The breeder asked if we would show him. i got the impression it can be VERY competitive!!!!

Tinkerbee

Visit site
did you see that catwalk dogs programme
tongue.gif

erm, you can do Ringcraft classes at some training classes, you could contact breeder for info..

missshell

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
did you see that catwalk dogs programme
tongue.gif

erm, you can do Ringcraft classes at some training classes, you could contact breeder for info..

[/ QUOTE ]

No but i've seen the Best in Show film!! LOL!

May give the breeder a call... Tell her shes got competition!!!
grin.gif
lol! .....The competition is currently asleep behind the curtain snoring!!!!
grin.gif

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Yes
smile.gif
In Puppy classes, I'd recommend starting out in a limit class if you're registered with a club, open if you're not. Open shows are local less experienced shows.(Though they can get quite competitive!
grin.gif
)

missshell

Visit site
How do you find a local club and register? Is it expensive? Wheres the best place to get a list of local shows?

I really have not got a clue have I???
blush.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Look for your local canine society, library or pet shop should have details but probably one of the best things you could do (other than join local ringcraft classes) would be to buy either Dog World or Our Dogs which are mines of information and you can get at Smiths, they're both weeklies and will have breed notes for your breed (providing they have someone keen enough to do the notes!) reports of shows and also lists of shows that are coming up. You'll get a lot of pointers how dogs should be shown too. The adverts are or used to be about two months before the show as they all have closing dates, very rare to have entries on the day for KC shows.
If I've remembered rightly it's Minor Puppy (6 - 9 months only), Puppy (6 - 12 mths) Junior (6 - 18 mths), can't remember any other age classes, sorry, but then you also have grades like Maiden (not won a class) Limited, Restricted and Open. Those are the ones I've remembered, there are others too!
There's someone on here who shows a lot, Vizlas I think, so they might see this and help.

missshell

Visit site
Thers some pics in the PG. Hes much bigger now though!!! he weighs 4 stone and has HUGE paws!!! The vets face when he went to be microchipped and i said how old he was, was a picture!!!lol!

just looked at your pups they are lovely!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Your best bet is to speak to your dogs breeder. They should be able to give you lots of advice and tell you if he is worth showing. If he is good enough they will probably be delighted to help you get him in the ring, and if he isn't they will hopefully break it to you gently. You should get an honest opinion as it won't do their kennel any good if you show him and he isn't really up to it. I don't want to sound a spoil sport but he does sound quite heavy for only 6 months, I would keep an eye on his weight because its not good for pups to carry too much weight whilst they are growing. Good luck with him, hope you have lots of fun.

missshell

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Your best bet is to speak to your dogs breeder. They should be able to give you lots of advice and tell you if he is worth showing. If he is good enough they will probably be delighted to help you get him in the ring, and if he isn't they will hopefully break it to you gently. You should get an honest opinion as it won't do their kennel any good if you show him and he isn't really up to it. I don't want to sound a spoil sport but he does sound quite heavy for only 6 months, I would keep an eye on his weight because its not good for pups to carry too much weight whilst they are growing. Good luck with him, hope you have lots of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

The vet that weighed him thought he was fine. Just a big dog. Hes is quite heavy set. I asked if he was too heavy and the vet said no. Hes grown taller now and does'nt look fat at all.

Thanks for the advice. im going to contact the breeder. They show theirs. Very competitive!!!

milor

Visit site
I show and judge my breed ( BSD) at Championship level and can give you a few pointers if you want to start showing.
firstly the best place to strart will be at your local ringcraft club. have a look at your vets' notice board or contact the Kennel club for details of one near you. This will train you and your dog so that you have some idea of what to do at the shows - training clubs will often have show schedules there as well for you to pick up and someone will always be on hand to help you complete an entry form for the first time ( you have to enter sveral weeks ahead of the show)
Most people start off at open shows - these may have your breed scheduled or may have a variety class your dog can enter - all breeds are sub divided into groups and each group will have either individual breeds or AVNSC ( any variety not seperatly classified).

You will probably want to enter him into puppy 6-12 months or junior 6-18 months if there is no puppy class. the judge will want to look at him - check his 'bite' and see if he is entire then ask you to move him in a triangle then straight upand down before finally asking you to stand him so that he/she can take a final look. Placings are from 1st to 5th place and winners of each class compete for BOB ( Best of Breed) which then goes forward to compete for Best in group then Best in Show.

If you get placed 1-3rd in most classes at a Championship show ( usually MUCH harder ) then you will be able to qualify your dog for Crufts. Champ shows also offer CC's ( challenge certificates) if your dog wins three of these then he will be a breed Champion ! ).

One of the best ways of dipping your toe in the showing water is by taking part in Companion shows - these are informal shows where you can enter on the day and usually have several pedigree classes as well as 'fun' classes.

Costs vary from £1 per class for a companion show - £ 5 per class for an Open show and £22 per class for a champ show.

Dog showing is extremely addictive and great fun but there can be some back biting involved - particularly if you do have a good dog and begin to do some serious winning !

good luck !