Showing

ECORTEN

Visit site
Happy New Year All,
We have recently bought the most wonderful Class 1 Connemara and my daughter (13) would like to show him this year. I am completely novice to all this, and haven't a clue where to start. All I know is that she wouldn't want to jump!
Any advice would be so appreciated.
Thank you

dulcie_dustyxx

Visit site
Yes, M+M classes, and any native breed class! Just be careful though because some shows specify what breeds can enter the native breed classes, so check before-hand.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Look out for local "pre showing" days - some riding clubs do them, or equestrian centres. They normally invite a well known and successful showing person (Robert Oliver does some around here) and they will give hints and tips on turnout, schooling and presentation.

honetpot

Visit site

Schollym

Visit site
Get some advice about natural state as there is a little bit of tweaking you can do to make a tidy appearance and wear the correct tack to complement the pony. Also be prepared for spending hours getting the pony ready and be disappointed because you get overlooked. We had a beautiful welsh cross that succeeded locally but when we went to a higher level got marked down for having bones in her legs! Not splints or anything. I personally think that the judge wasn’t happy about nearly getting knocked over when my daughter trotted the mare towards her and didn’t realise how fast she was going. We got marked down once for having a dun in a coloured class which we had qualified for elsewhere and the judge was overheard saying she didn’t think duns counted as coloured. Both duns were at the bottom of the line.

Fiona

Visit site
Brown tack, discrete Brown numnah. Plain flat noseband. Green tweed, cream or canary breeches. Show cane.

Unplaited mane and tail. Do not clip or trim heels.

In Ireland there are specific Connie classes, in England might be more likely to be large breeds M&M at least at smaller shows.

Fiona

cundlegreen

Visit site
I'd check your pony's height before getting started. The breed standard is 14.2hh, but there are a lot of overheight connies out there!