Showjumper found guilty of assault

Overread

www.flickr.com
If they knew each other before this incident that would explain the restraining order. In this day and age 100 miles isn't an impossible distance to travel by car and if they were both attending similar equine related events they could well have encountered each other more than a few times.

Llanali

Visit site
Apparently ridler sold the victim a pony that was supposedly child suitable and safe. It wasn't, and three previous owners testified that it was a serious rearer.

asterope

Visit site
The link you provided wasnt the accused so what was the relevance?

Yes, it was. "Amy Ridler, from Solihull, West Midlands, uploaded this image to Facebook saying she was impressed with the method to get an even coverage with no streaks" - it was her who recommended using a paint roller in a Facebook post.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Apparently ridler sold the victim a pony that was supposedly child suitable and safe. It wasn't, and three previous owners testified that it was a serious rearer.

Seems a little odd as the victim has been reported as being a Pony Club DC, so would hope that she'd know what to look for in a kids pony?

There is very much more to the story, but even so, still doesn't explain Ridler's actions!

Fiagai

Visit site
If they knew each other before this incident that would explain the restraining order. In this day and age 100 miles isn't an impossible distance to travel by car and if they were both attending similar equine related events they could well have encountered each other more than a few times.

The original H&H article adequately explains why the need to apply a retraing order on the accused. According to the article the lady who was attacked said ...

“She posted about it on Facebook and people were saying they were going to come round here and ‘******* me up’, there were some really nasty comments,”.

The article further states that
The year-long order bans her (the accussed) from communicating with Mrs Williams, directly or indirectly, or referring to her on social media.

So A. It is quite clear that threats about visiting Ms Williams were published on FB and B. Following the ruling - that further referring / communication by Ms Riddler is now prohibited. In my opinion this is more than enough reason for the restraining order in consideration of the vicous assault which already took place.

The problem with "I heard it from someone" type innuendo is that it should never be repeated as it does no one any good and further exacerbates the hurt and damage already inflicted on the victim.

There is never any excuse for such physical violence. The whole episode is simply dispicable. I personally would advocate much stiffer sentencing.

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
Seems a little odd as the victim has been reported as being a Pony Club DC, so would hope that she'd know what to look for in a kids pony?

There is very much more to the story, but even so, still doesn't explain Ridler's actions!

I saw on a FB page that something very similar had happened to Kate Thurston ( buying a pony that rears). So, reckon if it can happen to her, it can happen to anyone !

popsdosh

Visit site

If that was the case im really surprised it did not come out in the court case ,there is nothing in the report to suggest they knew each other than meeting on that day.I know several there on the day who told me it was a totally unprovoked attack by a rider upset because the horse had made a fool of them and over reacted.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Nothing in the reports yes, but on the thread on the BSJA FB page (including comments by AR unless they have since been deleted) there was clearly bad blood between them. HOWEVER that in no way excuses her actions and conduct since both of which were vile.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm shocked by the sentence. The offence was aggravated by the use of a weapon (a horse) the length of the assault and returning to attack someone who was down on the floor and the presence of a child. The victim was trampled under foot and knocked out. You can see from the sentencing guidelines below, that the Court appears to have put it in the wrong category. It was, in my opinion as someone who did ten years as a magistrate, definitely a category two, which would have given her a Community Order, likely with anger management training and unpaid work.

It looks like there is a possibility that the Judge/Bench accepted that there had been a level of provocation which dropped the offence, in their eyes, from a category two to a category three

http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...cially-religiously-aggravated-common-assault/

Fiagai

Visit site
I agree that the sentencing does not appear to match the crime in this instance. However two likley issues which are relevant to a possible reduction in sentencing (though which I don't necessarily agree with in this case) are one - the accussed pleading guilty to assault by beating and two - her relatively young age of approx 19 yrs at the time of the incident.

I see no evidence offered that there was any "provocation" whatsover. The Chinese whisper alluded to previously in this thread in my mind smacks of a rather nasty smear campaign which has grown wings and is now simply being repeated without possible verification. Friends of the accussed have already been detailed as commenting on incident on social media ref 'one side of the story' etc.

To be honest it sounds likes she had a willy defence team.

However not knowing further details of the case I can only surmise that this was the case.

Last edited:

Alec Swan

Visit site
Assuming that what we read is unequivocal, the brat can thank her lucky stars that she isn't my daughter. The wrath of the Court was nothing compared with what would have happened when she arrived home. Even were she provoked, the sentencing hands down a degree of acceptance and understanding, and that isn't justice, in my opinion.

Alec.

Clodagh

Visit site
Alec, have you seen the girl? I am quite sure any daughter of yours would not be a complete Trumplette. You would have banned her from leaving the premises!!

Fidgety

Visit site
Assuming that what we read is unequivocal, the brat can thank her lucky stars that she isn't my daughter. The wrath of the Court was nothing compared with what would have happened when she arrived home.

I'm pretty sure all of my children would also be saying the same of me had the thought even crossed their minds, let alone had they acted their thoughts out. I'm amazed that it was onlookers that had to intervene rather than her parents!

You would have banned her from leaving the premises!!

Likewise. Actially, notwithstanding the fact that I wouldn't have allowed my DD to even show her face in the house to the rest of us looking like that, the boys would have extracted the water out of her so badly she wouldn't have even contemplated it :D.

Caracarrie

Visit site
I'm pretty sure all of my children would also be saying the same of me had the thought even crossed their minds, let alone had they acted their thoughts out. I'm amazed that it was onlookers that had to intervene rather than her parents!

Likewise. Actially, notwithstanding the fact that I wouldn't have allowed my DD to even show her face in the house to the rest of us looking like that, the boys would have extracted the water out of her so badly she wouldn't have even contemplated it :D.

You only have to look at parents today to see exactly why children turn out the way they do. I'm 52 now and have never given my parents any backchat, sworn at them or in front of them and when my Mum says jump, you can bet I do.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
You only have to look at parents today to see exactly why children turn out the way they do. I'm 52 now and have never given my parents any backchat, sworn at them or in front of them and when my Mum says jump, you can bet I do.
Ahem *some parents today* :).

I'm 58, and my mum was a PC branch secretary in the 60's and 70's. The dreaded 'pony club mother' and spoilt offspring was real even then, though I can't imagine any of them going this far.

honetpot

Visit site
Hate generalisations but I was a PC mum and used to help out. Our PC our kids were polite even when hot and tired. I helped out with a neighbouring PC and I could not believe how they spoke to their parents and tried to speak to me.

I think a lot of parents are just frightened to say no, their children a little demi gods whose every whim needs to be complied with, you can not reason with a teenager half the time. The red mist of hormones and make-up take over and you just have draw a line. This women is no longer a teenager but has not learnt boundaries, I suspect she is her parents princess.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
It was, in my opinion as someone who did ten years as a magistrate, definitely a category two, which would have given her a Community Order, likely with anger management training and unpaid work.

Its pretty difficult to understand how anyone who had the option of insisting on her getting anger management training would not choose to do so.

I guess she got away with it because of her age and because the victim's injuries were (luckily) minor, maybe the Court didn't understand the level of possible injury.

ETA: I really hope BS bans her, and that she only rides to compete and therefore gives up. As others have said if she can attack an adult in front of multiple witnesses because she's embarrassed at her horse's behaviour what does she do to her horses.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Assuming that what we read is unequivocal, the brat can thank her lucky stars that she isn't my daughter. The wrath of the Court was nothing compared with what would have happened when she arrived home. Even were she provoked, the sentencing hands down a degree of acceptance and understanding, and that isn't justice, in my opinion.

Alec.

I am sitting here speculating on what my father would have done to me .
I suspect never seeing a horse again would have been a start.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Have a feeling the Arena UK competition where this occurred was unaffiliated. If she is not BS member then no sanction will be made by them unless they ban her from joining.

Asha

Visit site
I am sitting here speculating on what my father would have done to me .
I suspect never seeing a horse again would have been a start.

I just cant get my head around any child/teenager/adult speaking to their mother like this. This is beyond spoilt brat behaviour.

This should have been nipped in the bud years ago, before it ever to go to this. Smacks of no rules, no boundaries and therefore no respect

smja

Visit site
This incident was bad enough that a crowd of other spectators had to pull her off her horse before she stopped. That's the bit that really sticks out for me, even amongst the rest of the madness. I can't believe the sentence isn't harsher.

Alec Swan

Visit site
This incident was bad enough that a crowd of other spectators had to pull her off her horse before she stopped. That's the bit that really sticks out for me, even amongst the rest of the madness. I can't believe the sentence isn't harsher.

And we wonder why the general perception by the media and public at large is that those who ride are spoilt and over-privileged. The child concerned did little to dispel that, I feel.

Alec.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I just cant get my head around any child/teenager/adult speaking to their mother like this. This is beyond spoilt brat behaviour.

This should have been nipped in the bud years ago, before it ever to go to this. Smacks of no rules, no boundaries and therefore no respect

This. Dread to think what mine would do if I did any of this! Certainly wouldn't be paying for a string of sj ponies or any ponies at all that's for sure!

rascal

Visit site
Not surprising people act like this, when they get no real punishment for behaving like a brat.
If that had been either of my kids behaving like that, horses would have been sold, but they have better manners.