Showjumper manes anonymous

Orls

Visit site
I am guilty of having a horse with this kind of mane :eek:

My excuse is that he passionately hates having his mane pulled and this is my only option to prevent him ending up looking like a wild pony .....

Mongoose11

Visit site
On my fbook profile there are a couple of truly hideous pics of Olive with a slanting scissor cut mane - not my doing. A H/w cob with a scissor cut mane.... Vile! You can just about see it in my avatar pic I think!

teamsarazara

Visit site
I work in showjumping and I LOVE THE STRAIGHT MANES. There I said it. If I see anything other than a short straight mane I want to chop it off!

FoxTrotx

Visit site
Pff, my showjumper ought to think herself lucky I don't hog her! I hate mane maintenence so, yes, I cut it with scissors! I pull her tail properly though as she enjoys it. :eek:

Gryfiss

Visit site
how do you manage to get them so straight and to lie on one side so perfectly plus do you pull it abit ? always wondered I love them x

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Half of mine is cut as he won't let me pull the top half! Must say he's not overly keen on me pulling the lower half but top half is an outright no!

It doesnt look that bad & we don't go competing so not that fussed!

emmab13

Visit site
I pull, trim and clip as part of earning my living. I would never in 100 years put a pair of scissors near any horse apart from a showjumper. I go to a couple of places with jumpers, and I pull the mane to thin it, then use the scissors to do tiny vertical cuts until the mane is straighter than a pulled mane but not cut straight across. Any stray hairs I trim individually, then plait the mane over until the day before the show, when I comb quick-plait spray through it to make sure it is straight and lies flat.

Not obsessive compulsive at all obviously.

You want to see what I'm like with pulling tails!

StormyMoments

Visit site
I cut Taz's mane with scissors then go over it with a thinning comb to make it look more natural :eek: not because I cant pull a mane correctly just that I cant be bothered :eek:

bellatrix

Visit site
how do you manage to get them so straight

I have wondered this too. Starting to suspect that these showjumpers might be getting a pair of GHD's out every morning and straightening their horses mane so they are perfectly straight and flat :cool: :p

asbo

Visit site
I have wondered this too. Starting to suspect that these showjumpers might be getting a pair of GHD's out every morning and straightening their horses mane so they are perfectly straight and flat :cool: :p

I have done that before hehe x

teamsarazara

Visit site
At work I normally wash the mane 3 days before and put it into very small tight bands all the way along the mane then take it out 3 days later :) then cut! And I DON'T cut up the way either :) always straight across. Never used ghds and I don't imagine many grooms do. Just alot of elbow grease to get them to sit! The manes are banded just before a show to and taken out on the lorry :) some people leave them in to go in the ring but I don't like it!

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I also do scissors. But I do it as if I am going to pull. Tease up and then cut/shave vertical. So it's somewhere inbetween a cut mane and pulled mane. If I can muster the enthusiasm to do photobucket later I'll take some of the recently done ones for y'all to peruse.

Alternatively, if they can't handle the teasing, cut vertically along the mane until you have a neat cut that doesn't look blocky.

I gave up pulling. Horses hate it and so do I. As long as they're neat who cares. Oh that's right I raise jumpers.

Terri (((FF)))

slumdog

Visit site
I use scissors and then hairdressers thinning scissors as well. I like manes nice and short, I'd like a cob purely so I could hog it lol. I had a solo comb but they seem to go blunt after a couple of uses!

Luci07

Visit site
I use everything in my arsenal to try to keep my younger horses mane looking neat and have been known to finish off with vertical cuts with scissors. I have to my old mares mane like this as her mane is so very very fine I can't afford to lose any of it!

Visit site
I hate scissor cut manes BUT one of my tb's gets it done a wee bit as his mane is too thin to pull properly and still be able to plait. He will never be seen out in public without plaits in so I just have to live with the abomination at home!

quirky

Visit site
My current horse has a scissor cut mane *:eek: shock horror :eek:*. She absolutely hates having it pulled and I can't see the point in putting her through it.

That said, I can't see the problem with it. When the mane is plaited up, nobody has a clue how it looks au naturale, so why doesn't everybody just cut them :confused:?

It's a lot harder to scissor cut a straight mane than it is to pull one ;)

micramadam

Visit site
You lot should try to do the mane on a Fjord. It HAS to be cut to get the right shape. Our Fjord was a nightmare as he is an extremely rare colour so doesn't have the very prominent black stripe. After 9 years of doing this you become an expert with the scissors! He is now semi-retired so he's got a lovely long mane now.

picture.php

For dressage

picture.php

Starting to grow out!

picture.php

mcnaughty

Visit site
Oh god - sorry - cannot stand scissor cut manes! Hideous! There are a million ways of getting round that chopped and hacked at look!