Showjumping Advice...

Visit site
Hey guys,

I have recently started doing some un-affilited jumping classes all around my area (I have done four shows so far)and I really haven't been doing so well my horse does not really jump she runs up to it then stops then jumps and knocks the poles out, she also runs out and refuses loads. I have done heights from 2ft3-3ft - However, i have been told that before the horse I own could clear a 3ft6 course! I know the cause of my problems because as soon as I enter the ring my horse goes straight onto her forehand and chucks her head low down and makes jumping difficult (i cannot get her head up)
I am a bit nervous before my classes but i do not THINK that my nerves are that strong to be affecting my ride. :confused:

However, at home she is an ANGEL. she will jump literally ANYTHING. Could anyone offer some advice on how to get better rounds? Confidence and Skill wise??

Any input from whatever level is gladly appreciated!! :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
When you say at home she'll jump anything, do you mean anything individual at a good height, or will she jump clear round a course with different fillers? And what's her flatwork like at home?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Can you get someone to video you riding at home, and at a show to see if you are doing anything differently, you may not feel like you are, but you coudl quite easily be - I think we are all probably guilty of this :)

If she goes straight on her forehand, does she become strong and rush towards the fences, if she is on the forehand and rushing this is why you will be having poles down. If you are changing the way you ride, then it woudl be good to get some lessons with someone who competes at the same shows, so they cna help you warm up, and can give constructive feedback after you have been in. If nothing is changing in you, and the pony is just getting excited/naughty then a change of bit could be the right path to go down. :)