Showjumping - buy one of the new padded whips or just go with no whip at all?

maya2008

Visit site
Its use is limited by the rules obviously, and it's soft and padded anyway, so wouldn't a decent kick be more use as needed? Son and shetland are getting ready to compete again, and I am wondering whether to go with 'no whip' as a better alternative. Equally, I'll probably take my little one out and about when she's ready, as she does seem to like jumping. It just seems like the new whip is something else to hold, that probably doesn't help that much anyway. Scary filler training is probably more use!

Or am I wrong? Convince me to spend £20 on a new whip to keep in the lorry!

SibeliusMB

Visit site
My personal philosophy is to always carry a whip just in case - better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. This is even though I practically never actually use it on the horse and none of the horses I ride require it. The only time I don't carry one is on something just started or one with a known fear of whips. I've been in a couple scary situations out hunting, hacking, jump schooling, etc where even a very established horse has needed a correction, and IMHO a kick wouldn't have been as effective. I'd much rather a light tap behind my leg with a whip (even your new padded ones) to emphasize the leg aid rather than a big kick to the ribs.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I always carry a whip I use whips a lot to direct the horses shoulders when things are going a bit wrong straightness wise when jumping .
A whip is just an aid when used properly .
If you don’t want to carry a whip don’t but what’s a padded whip for except to prevent marks when you hit the horse hard , don’t hit the horse hard The it does not matter what whip you use .

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Mine too. I never needed to encorage Amber to jump but she did need directing sometimes and the whip helped. Just another aid. It does not have to hurt or punish.

Bernster

Visit site
I’ve not used mine much but I really dislike the big padded ones. Too big for my hands and so short it’s just for the shoulder really, which doesn’t do much in my case as I tend to give a tickle with a dressage whip to remind him to use his back end.

I’ve not got on with it at all and suspect I’ll drop it the first time I try to use it! But as it’s the only one that can be used in comps I’ll have a practice at home just holding it and not dropping it (not practice using it on the horse, he doesn’t need a flap on the shoulder with a padded sponge thing).

Squeak

Visit site
I’ve not used mine much but I really dislike the big padded ones. Too big for my hands and so short it’s just for the shoulder really, which doesn’t do much in my case as I tend to give a tickle with a dressage whip to remind him to use his back end.

I’ve not got on with it at all and suspect I’ll drop it the first time I try to use it! But as it’s the only one that can be used in comps I’ll have a practice at home just holding it and not dropping it (not practice using it on the horse, he doesn’t need a flap on the shoulder with a padded sponge thing).

There are some that are designed to be more like the non padded ones to hold and you can get them the same length as a 'normal' whip too. Might be worth a go if you don't get on with your current one :)

https://www.treehouseonline.co.uk/p/the_york_whip_66cm_bsja_legal_

Lyle

Visit site
I always carry a short whip when jumping. Personally, I don't like big kicks; can't be pleasant for the horse and I find moving my lower leg around like that not a great idea when trying to maintain a strong/defensive position (assuming the horse backing off is the reason for needing the whip). I find simply raising (read: flapping :p) the whip in the vision of the horse enough to maintain forward momentum.

Nicnac

Visit site
For son and shetland I wouldn't bother but they are only a tenner in lots of places. People were having their whips taken off them at a recent unaffiliated HT if not compliant with BS rules which was a bit ridiculous imo.

Mule

Visit site
I find a whip great for steering the shoulders of a nappy horse. I have a bit of experience with that.. :rolleyes:

Bernster

Visit site

RHM

Visit site
I would take a whip, I’ve regretted not taking one before. Can really help them stop falling out through the shoulder when doing tighter turns.

Polos

Visit site
The new whips are quite a lot for little hands. I mean I’m an adult and I struggle to hold one comfortably!

Again I’m a believer of having one just in case. My mare can be quite nappy and 99% of the time just holding it is enough to remind her it’s there. The only time I don’t carry it is hacking because we just plod and she’s so much better hacking

Reacher

Visit site
At our local unaffiliated venues it is in force.
Ah, I see, I don’t think that is the case in my area currently . It sounds like the children are quite young so I probably wouldn’t bother at shows and hope a cheaper copy comes along soon! Mind you I rarely carry a whip at shows either...
ETA where are the £10 ones @Nicnac ?

Leandy

Visit site
If son and shetland usually use and need a whip then I would get one. If they aren't used to it, I would not get one just for competing as it is something new for little hands to get used to and to coordinate and that is too much to introduce just for a competition.