Showjumping Troubles

Bright Spark

Visit site
I'm having trouble with competing my pony in the Showjumping Phase of ODE's. We are relatively new to this discipline and only just started competing in it. My pony gets very nappy to other horses and won't go forwards in the ring (outside the ring she is very forward!) last time we were eliminated because she kept stopping in front of fences at home we are jumping 2ft9" to 2ft10" and competing in 2ft3" - 2ft6". Any recommendations will be gratefully received :)

be positive

Visit site
I would suggest going somewhere to do clear round sj, that way the pressure is off regarding being eliminated and not completing a ode, most places will let you continue all the way round regardless of how many stops you have and also have several rounds until you do get that elusive clear, they often let someone go in the ring on foot to "encourage" the horse, a few trips out to really iron out the napping and get her round the course will be a good investment, odes are challenging and expensive enough without the expectation that you may not even get to the xc.
Other ideas would be to go on a clinic or two, jumping in a group where there is stopping, starting and some standing around may help with her attitude, if it is that she is nappy in general when other horses are around then the more you can do in company the better she should become.
Make sure there is no reason for her to be stopping, do you change anything, different bit? ride less positively etc. sometimes they don't need much to make them question what they are doing, your job is to ensure everything is as correct as possible so she has every chance to jump but it does sound as if she lacks a bit of confidence and is taking, in her view, the easy option, getting her out more with no pressure should really help.

Bright Spark

Visit site
Thanks for the advice I did a clear round last year and she went clear first time. We are playing around with bits at the moment she's currently ridden in a hanging cheek snaffle bit and the saddle has recently been checked. She's very strong minded! Will definately get her out more in the summer.