shows cancelled / general worries re the coronavirus

racebuddy

Visit site
with a lot of shows being cancelled , wander what smaller shows will do , and if smaller shows are on what are peoples thoughts on going ? i treadmill my boy a lot so dodnt come into contact with many people there , but still working as normal work in a large veterinary practice , i dodn think we will have a season at all given the current situation , think we will have a summer of hacking and schooling ,

reality hitting now people with business getting effected , if people are not working then how can people afford to live , pay bills , pay for horses

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Personally unless the advice from the experts is not to go out at all, I will continue going to local shows. They’re outside, people are spread out, I just don’t think there’s a much greater risk than being at my livery yard. You can get your numbers from the show secretary in ten seconds and that’s it. I’m at greater risk of catching the virus in a supermarket or commuting - which people are still doing.
Especially with how high profile the Coronavirus is, almost everyone with a temperature/ symptoms will be staying at home. Particularly as a horse show isn’t ‘essential’, whereas an ill person might still go grocery shopping because they need to get food.
It’s worth bearing in mind that if the world’s industries come to a halt due to Coronavirus measures then there will be loss of life from that. Plenty of people cannot afford to lose their income for several months. I’m not saying that people should ignore it, but that everyone self-isolating will cause just as many problems as it solves.

Winters100

Visit site
I’m not saying that people should ignore it, but that everyone self-isolating will cause just as many problems as it solves.

Are you serious? Do you really understand what the world is dealing with at present? The sad thing is that selfish people getting infected through attending unnecessary events affects the whole of society, not just them. Shame on you.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Are you serious? Do you really understand what the world is dealing with at present? The sad thing is that selfish people getting infected through attending unnecessary events affects the whole of society, not just them. Shame on you.
In future would you mind phrasing your opinion a little more kindly? It was a bit of a shock to read your reply - I understand I’m sensitive but there you go, you don’t know how your words affect other people online, etc etc.
Absolutely I understand what the world is dealing with. It’s horrific and very upsetting. But everyone in the world isolating themselves will kill people. So many people literally cannot afford no wage for six months, or however long it will take for this to subside. Maybe you can, and that’s very good. I hope you stay healthy and keep up a good quality of life. But some people can’t. That’s not selfish. It’s already causing a huge economic recession, do you really think that won’t impact people’s lives? End people’s lives?
You think covid-19 will affect the world more than the fear and economic recession will. I think the other way round. They’re both valid opinions and I doubt anyone can say which one is right.
If you were referring to my entire post, and not just the bit you quoted...
When the advice is to not go outside, to not go grocery shopping, to not go to the livery yard, to quit my job (that cannot be done from home)... then I can understand why local shows should cancel, and that people should not attend. My point is that if it is acceptable for me to do activities that are much higher risk in terms of transmitting infection, then why would I stop the low-risk one I love? Tell me, if I am standing two metres away from the show secretary, getting my number/time, then on my horse, doing my round and going home, how is that a high risk activity? I am far, far more likely to catch it at my livery yard, where I touch things that other people touch, and am in a closer proximity to more people for longer. But no one is telling me to stop going to the yard.

I expect I’ll change my mind as the cases grow - after all, there are currently less than 2000 cases in a population of 66 million, so a ‘high risk’ activity is really not high risk - yet. But by that time it shall be a moot point and not worth arguing about as everything will be closed anyway.

angrybird1

Visit site
Not about horse shows but other practicalities. For instance, my car is due mot next month. It's booked in at moment but what happens if we go in to lockdown? Are we going to be given some leaway with it?
What happens if it needs work doing? Will garages be able to do it as the situation worsens?

Steerpike

Visit site
My husband runs a garage, for now he is taking extra precautions i.e. wears gloves, overalls and is carrying on with work until told otherwise, you can book an MOT test up to a month before it is due

angrybird1

Visit site
My husband runs a garage, for now he is taking extra precautions i.e. wears gloves, overalls and you can book an MOT test up to a month before it's due.
Yes thank you. It is,already booked in early. It's just a worry in case we all have to shut everything down in other countries.

Abi90

Visit site
Not about horse shows but other practicalities. For instance, my car is due mot next month. It's booked in at moment but what happens if we go in to lockdown? Are we going to be given some leaway with it?
What happens if it needs work doing? Will garages be able to do it as the situation worsens?

If everything closes then I imagine that you just won’t be able to drive your car until you can get it MOTd. I’m in the same boat. My car is booked in and paid for on the 7th April. I don’t have my husband at home so will be a bit stuck as I’m also being directed to go to work.

Or they may give grace but I doubt it

angrybird1

Visit site
If everything closes then I imagine that you just won’t be able to drive your car until you can get it MOTd. I’m in the same boat. My car is booked in and paid for on the 7th April. I don’t have my husband at home so will be a bit stuck as I’m also being directed to go to work.

Or they may give grace but I doubt it
Mine doesn't run out til end of April as I've booked it in early on the first chance I get to have a day off. I'm also still working and need to get to horses too so will be stuck.

Abi90

Visit site
Mine doesn't run out til end of April as I've booked it in early on the first chance I get to have a day off. I'm also still working and need to get to horses too so will be stuck.

Im in exactly the same position. To be honest I doubt MOTs have even crossed their minds at this point!

Britestar

Visit site
There is plenty you can do at home with your horses. Many instructors will be happy to teach you at home. These people will also be loosing income.
There are lots of pole work sites you can look at to set up exercises.
Plus online comps. The one I use has introduced a jumping class, BE tests as well as their usual classes, and I hear they are introducing online trec, so something for everyone. I will have plenty to do at home . I use dressage4all.

Winters100

Visit site
In future would you mind phrasing your opinion a little more kindly? It was a bit of a shock to read your reply - I understand I’m sensitive but there you go, you don’t know how your words affect other people online, etc etc.
Absolutely I understand what the world is dealing with. It’s horrific and very upsetting. But everyone in the world isolating themselves will kill people. So many people literally cannot afford no wage for six months, or however long it will take for this to subside. Maybe you can, and that’s very good. I hope you stay healthy and keep up a good quality of life. But some people can’t. That’s not selfish. It’s already causing a huge economic recession, do you really think that won’t impact people’s lives? End people’s lives?
You think covid-19 will affect the world more than the fear and economic recession will. I think the other way round. They’re both valid opinions and I doubt anyone can say which one is right.
If you were referring to my entire post, and not just the bit you quoted...
When the advice is to not go outside, to not go grocery shopping, to not go to the livery yard, to quit my job (that cannot be done from home)... then I can understand why local shows should cancel, and that people should not attend. My point is that if it is acceptable for me to do activities that are much higher risk in terms of transmitting infection, then why would I stop the low-risk one I love? Tell me, if I am standing two metres away from the show secretary, getting my number/time, then on my horse, doing my round and going home, how is that a high risk activity? I am far, far more likely to catch it at my livery yard, where I touch things that other people touch, and am in a closer proximity to more people for longer. But no one is telling me to stop going to the yard.

I expect I’ll change my mind as the cases grow - after all, there are currently less than 2000 cases in a population of 66 million, so a ‘high risk’ activity is really not high risk - yet. But by that time it shall be a moot point and not worth arguing about as everything will be closed anyway.

I understand from someone else that you are actually very young, so yes I am sorry for being so harsh. I had assumed that you were an older, in which case the criticism would have been valid.

What you have to understand is that this virus is very dangerous to a large group of society. Yes, it is true that there is an effect on the economy, but if we let it spread faster then the effects, both upon the health of the nation and upon the economy, will be far worse. Just look at Italy if you want an example of this. Businesses there would have been far better off if social distancing measures had been implemented earlier.

The reason to stop all unnecessary contact is so that necessary (or at least more important) contact can remain while hopefully staying within the number of cases that can be at least somewhat managed. Hence right now people who can work from home are asked to do so in order that people who can not work from home may go to their place of work. Hopefully this will avoid having to take the measures of stopping everyone in non-essential jobs from going to work. No one is telling you not to go to work or to go grocery shopping, even to the yard with proper precautions, but a show brings people together in a way which is unnecessary. The organisers will still be in contact. People will use the bathrooms etc, if there is an accident it will take up valuable resources.

You should also realise that there are in fact far more than 2000 cases and they grow every day. The health system is not able to cope with this, so however disappointing it is we have to all realise that now is the time to act in the best interests of society. Going to a show will not bring any real benefit to the economy or to people's jobs, but following advice and limiting your contact with people as far as is possible will.

Visit site
There is absolutely the issue that beyond the destruction, and sad loss of lives, this virus is going to cause directly - there could well be an increase in suicides due to isolation, mental health, loss of income and of course the overall impact on the economy and peoples livelihoods so yes I think a balance needs to be struck between "all stay at home" and "what is reasonable to attend to keep your mental health stable and support those businesses who are going to really really struggle" There is going to be a long term problem and no sorry I don't think it is as clean cut as "everyone should stay at home and you are selfish if you don't"

KEK

Visit site
Yup. Super hard one. Spoke to my neighbour this morning (at a distance), she has 2 shops in a country town. She's had to lay off all her staff, so they wont have any income. She thinks she will probably loose her business. She then also won't have any income coming in. Could loose her house, has kids to feed. She would be one of thousands/more in that situation. No one is buying anything, myself included, even though my job is fine.
How do you balance those sort of factors? Glad that's not my job to do :(
The incongruity, I am struggling with.. at work we have a company still telling people to come in for their totally healthy animals "health checks", vaccinations, etc. I saw a (full schedule) yesterday of nothing. Not one patient needed to come in. That's frustrating, when I think what I/we are giving up in the rest of our lives. I am grateful to have a job though, and to be low risk as I will probably come into contact with it. Unbelievable times, really.

GoldenWillow

Visit site

I'm fairly certain you can get mot's done more than a month early as when we've bought cars that have only had 3/4 months mot left on them the garage has put a new mot on them. I think the month rule applies when you want it to run on from when the old mot expires if that makes sense.

Our car went for it's mot on Monday, I picked it up the day after, paid by phone before collecting and the garage said they would spray with disinfectant the keys, steering wheels, hand brake, indicators and handles. They also left the keys in it so I could just wave at them from a distance and go. The garage offered to do all this for me as my OH, our mums and I are in the vulnerable groups and we are self isolating so taking as many precautions as we can.

molar roller

Visit site
Even endurance events have been cancelled until further notice. not sure that is necessary for outdoor sports?
Also I'd like to say depression and axiety are worse than coronavirus.

Joyous70

Visit site
I received notification last night from our riding club who are a BRC club, that all shows, training etc, is cancelled until end of June 2020.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
It is defiantly only a month early

It is only up to a month earlier if you want it to run on i.e. if your mot is due 4th April 2020 you can get it done up to a month earlier and it will run from 4th April 2020 to 2021. You can get it done earlier but it then runs from the date it was done. We bought a car in January, it's mot was due 29th April but the garage sell all cars with a full years mot on so they mot'd it and the mot runs from Jan 2020 to 2021.

Hope this helps and you can get your car sorted.

Winters100

Visit site
Even endurance events have been cancelled until further notice. not sure that is necessary for outdoor sports?

It is necessary because any sports where a group of people come together entails risk. To the organisers who will have to be in contact, and also to the people attending who will, among other things, share bathroom facilities. This risk then extends to everyone who they come into contact with and so on. Even if a tiny minority of events was safe resources are not available to carry out risk assessments of every possible type of event and allow some to take place, so at a time of crisis clearly the only sensible thing to do is to stop all events from taking place.

Depression and anxiety are a serious problem for some, but one that will not cause an immediate crisis in the health service, so no, they are not "worse than coronavirus". I also doubt that many of us are going to suffer from these 2 afflictions in any serious way due to the cancellation of equestrian events for a period of time - we have all had horses out lame and injuries ourselves and have managed - how is this different? Being sad because your competition plans have not come to fruition does not equate to being clinically depressed.

You need to realise that this problem is very serious, and that the restrictions that exist in the UK at present are most likely only the beginning. If everyone is sensible and takes the greatest care to cut their interactions with others to a bare minimum then it may perhaps be that additional restrictions are unnecessary, but reading many of the comments here I somehow doubt it.

Visit site

Its the medical staff that are required. The government doesn't want any NHS or medical staff being unavailable for work due to extra curricular activities that are non-essential. You could say that racing is an outdoors sport. We raced behind closed doors for a couple of days but we still require medical staff to follow the jockeys. So we have stopped all racing until the end of April at the earliest.

stormox

Visit site
I'm fairly certain you can get mot's done more than a month early as when we've bought cars that have only had 3/4 months mot left on them the garage has put a new mot on them. I think the month rule applies when you want it to run on from when the old mot expires if that makes sense.

Our car went for it's mot on Monday, I picked it up the day after, paid by phone before collecting and the garage said they would spray with disinfectant the keys, steering wheels, hand brake, indicators and handles. They also left the keys in it so I could just wave at them from a distance and go. The garage offered to do all this for me as my OH, our mums and I are in the vulnerable groups and we are self isolating so taking as many precautions as we can.
You can get them done more than a month early but then the year goes from that date.
A month or less early and the year goes from the expiry date.

bonny

Visit site
Its the medical staff that are required. The government doesn't want any NHS or medical staff being unavailable for work due to extra curricular activities that are non-essential. You could say that racing is an outdoors sport. We raced behind closed doors for a couple of days but we still require medical staff to follow the jockeys. So we have stopped all racing until the end of April at the earliest.
Racing is continuing in Ireland but no spectators

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do think people who are riding at local shows underestimate the amount of contact people and volunteers have with each other. Probably somewhat mitigatable but volunteer may well be a bit thin on the ground.

angrybird1

Visit site
It is only up to a month earlier if you want it to run on i.e. if your mot is due 4th April 2020 you can get it done up to a month earlier and it will run from 4th April 2020 to 2021. You can get it done earlier but it then runs from the date it was done. We bought a car in January, it's mot was due 29th April but the garage sell all cars with a full years mot on so they mot'd it and the mot runs from Jan 2020 to 2021.

Hope this helps and you can get your car sorted.
Thanks, yes I see what you mean.