Shredded paper bedding?

rforsyth1984

Visit site
The beastie is going on shredded paper bedding. He has rubber mats, and I have been using easibed on 2/3 of the floor.

Any advice on sucessfully maintaining a shredded paper bed? And how much a week do you get through? I've got tonnes of stuff to go through the shredder at the mo, but not sure how long I can keep that up?!

Any problems I should keep on top of/watch out for?

Thankies!

happihorse

Visit site
The wider the strips you can do the better - fine strips tend to ball up and expose areas of floor.

Is the paper staple free?

I used to buy in paper bedding and loved it!

hellybelly6

Visit site
I get paper bedding from work to supplement our cardboard bedding.

I find it best to have the paper which is like confetti rather than the strips - it is easier to muck out confetti.

Watch out for staples and paper clips. Sometimes the shredder gets caught up and then there will be the occasional lump of chewed paper, but this can just be thrown away.

rforsyth1984

Visit site
Thanks, it is staple free (I'm removing any staples before I shred!).

I'll give it a go anyway, at the mo its costing me nearly £60 a month for bedding (2 bales easibed per week) so I can cope with a bit of inconvenience in return for the saved pennies!

nemlin

Visit site
Echo the confetti stuff being better than the long cut, I found I was using approx 1 bin bag per day for my gelding and found it worked best mixed with shavings. On its own it was ok, but not so easy to muck out as it lumped together and it did get quite heavy.

It defo cant hurt to try, you may have to play with it to see how you get on and if you do need to mix it with another bedding. I'm starting to save my shreddings again for winter, it really does save tons of money!