shud i stay or go - sorry if long

putasocinit

Visit site
Some of you may remember my thread about having lost my boxes on a private yard as the owner was going to do livery himself - racehorses in training overspill from licensed yard (wonder if the jockey club knows). Anyhow he only gave me 2 weeks to find somewhere and I was desperate but I found this lovely lady, who had 3 retired racehorses on her private yard, who was prepared to help me out and so I moved.

My horses are housed in what were her field shelters, but these field shelters are not in a field they are in what you could say was a little yard adjacent to a field easy access by gate way.

I am a very clean and tidy individual who spoils her horses but not to the point where they are unpleasant or unhealthy because of it, I just make sure they have what they need to be safe.

Since being there I have helped this lady out with repairing fences, building and repairing wooden gates, strimming 4 fields, helping her by being at her side when we had to have the one horse put down, this was at 10pm at night, mucking out her boxes when she has been away and generally getting on with life and enjoying myself.

Unfortunately it hasnt been the other way around in return - I have been made to feel like I shouldnt be there because she kept going on about how her horses were normally in the field shelters when turned out 24/7, in other words my horses are in them and she doesnt normally have liveries and many people have asked before. Then I couldnt get haylage delivered as she didnt want the truck to drive in to the field incase it upset the already wet ground, but she takes delivery in winter ??? then she says she does not endulge in gossip but she has good many a story to tell about someone (I have not reciprocated with any gossip because I do not approve of it). She suggested that my shetland was put in a shed, I pay full livery rate for a full size stable for him, so that she could have more storage space.

Anyway this is becoming a rather daily thing and very boreing and the final straw was when this lady after making me feel insecure about being there then came to me the one morning to tell me how one of her friends (but she doesnt gossip) told her that they had heard from my previous livery owner that I could be quite "funny at times" and she didnt know what we were going to do about it.

Yes I can be "funny" if you want to mess me when it comes to my horses, but generally I am a really nice person and very loyal, and I can only think that my previous livery owner is saying this because he has a guilty conscience because I am a nice livery person to have around and he did the dirty on me and this lady and her friend have both gone on about how helpful I am to him.

I hope you are still with me on this.....................

So, I said to her, would it be better if I moved then you could have your own yard back to yourself again, the reply was NO NO she didnt want me to move and I should just forget about what her friends have said, hello she shouldnt have said anything in the first place.

Anyway I made some enquiries and have managed to find a yard 10miles away but £90 cheaper and with an arena and a concrete floor rather than mud with rubber mats I have had to purchase. I would not be able to go there after work, finish at 8pm, but hopefully could find another livery to do pm hay.

So I am in a dilemma about whether to go or stay as I don't want to hurt the lady as she helped me out, but then I was offered a yard when I was at the other place and turned it down as I didnt want to hurt him and then look what he did to me in the end.

Then the final straw was today when I was unloading straw and haylage (she relented to get some in) and I said that I wanted to keep some small bales of haylage (I pay for it it is not included in my livery) by my horses in the barn with the straw as it is difficult to move it from where she wanted to stock it and she went off on one again about how it would get damaged and then when I went to roll one in to my wheel barrow she yelled in front of the delivery chap who is a friend of hers - "why are you acting like tarzan", this is the 2nd time she has called me this name in front of someone, the 1st time was when she was battling to remove a tree root and all it needed was to get a good grip of it which I did and she yelled at me then but I didnt think anything of it, HELP what would you lot do. I don't want to be horrible but I also do not pay to be someones whipping boy especially when it is around my horses.

Stacy_W

Visit site
Leave! Or you will forever be unhappy there. Life is too short! You're right in that it seems this lady resents you being there.

Once was lost

Visit site
I think I would probably get out of there. You are a paying customer and don't owe her anything. The new place sounds more professional and offers you much better for your hard earned cash.
I don't think I could stay somewhere when I was being called names and gossiped about (you can bet your life she is gossiping about you behind your back!), I find it is the people who say they aren't gossips that are the worst and she has proved this. She will probably say some pretty nasty things when you go but best to ignore and get on with things. Tell your new yard owners that this lady may say some nasty things with you going and it is due to her missing your help and cash when it comes to caring for her horses and maintaining her property.
When you do move, don't be a mug. You are a paying livery and unless paying for maintenance and caring for other peoples horses is in your contract don't do it! It is one thing flinging a feed or hay over the door for someone or mucking out in a rare emergency but sounds like you have been doing a great deal more then that!

Star_Chaser

Visit site
Loyalty should only really be given when its deserved. Personally from your post it sounds like your being used as a bit of a door mat if you have found somewhere else that is suitable that you can still get to that has additional facilities then really you already know the answer, maybe just the loyalty getting in the way?? ;)

Enjoy your new yard :D

muddygreymare

Visit site
I'd leave. You're obviously not happy and she doesn't sound happy either, so i'd move asap so that both you and your horses are happier. You sound like a lovely person and you don't deserve to have all your help and generosity thrown back at you. Get out of there and carry on :)

putasocinit

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, I was beginning to think I was seeing what was not there, and I agree with 'once was lost', maybe my problem is being too helpful so the nasty ones have to think of something to make me look bad, so will try and stop being so helpful now. I even sold her a laptop for £50 and have installed broadband for her and given her lessons how to use it, what a fool I am.

Okay now how do i go about saying good-bye without sounding like a b****ch.

guido16

Visit site
No. 1 move, your clearly not happy

No. 2 I think she wants you out. Sounds like she is dropping a load of hints that this was maybe meant to be a temporary solution, not permanent. BUT hasn't got the guts to say it to your face when you ask.

No. 3. Again, move, your not happy. Unhappy owner = unhappy horses.

Orson Cart

Visit site
Okay now how do i go about saying good-bye without sounding like a b****ch.

I would use the excuse that the other yard has an arena that you can use.
I might also tell a little white lie about there being someone there to help with the evening check, which would make your life easier post work

And if those don't work I would simply say that my circumstances have changed and that I needed to go to somewhere cheaper.

Thank her for the use of her facilities, say that you would love to keep in touch and perhaps get a little something as a leaving gift - homemade cake or something. I know she hasn't done a lot for you, but a few white lies here and there can work wonders! :eek::p:D Whether you keep in contact is entirely up to you, but I always find you rarely hear from old YO's anyway!

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
I'd leave, as previously said, lifes too short. my friend is in a similiar situation, dying to get out of where she is. serious bullying going on. shes just waiting to find some where else. get out and be happy, you and your horses deserve it. i would never stay where i'm unhappy. I'm fortunate to be renting a house that has 8 acres, 4 stables, big shed and purpose built kennels wit runs. but if my circumstances change, i'd have to be happy, so LEAVE!!!! best of luck

Venevidivici

Visit site
Leave-absolutely no question. Emshooper gives some excellent ideas on the way forward to extricate yourself without leaving under a black cloud:)

meesha

Visit site
Definately leave, take a deep breath, thank her for helping you out, say you will miss her and wish her well and tell her the date you are leaving. NEVER burn your bridges and as someone else said a couple of little white lies work wonders. You could even say that the new yard is one you contacted before you moved to her and that they have held stables for you now they have come available

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yep, I'd move too.

However the yard 10 miles away sounds less than ideal as you can't get there after work (although you could, but it would be late).

putasocinit

Visit site
thanks for replies, funnily enough previous liveries years ago have also ended up leaving, sad really cos I think her heart is in the right place but she is just used to being on her own, I am going to tell her this weekend, have a stiff drink first for some Dutch courage. If I go to the other yard after work I would be doing 40miles a day just to get to do horses, hubby wud kill me, some things you can't hide, ha ha. Will update u on the move. Many thanks

Davina

New User
Visit site
Hi there we have liverys on our Farm and i have my 2 horses with them. I wouldnt dream of treating them like that, we are all as equalls on the yard and its about haveing fun and treating each other how we all like to be treated. At the end of the day your paying her for a service and she should treat you with respect. Good luck in what you decide. Shame your not in Essex we're haveing new stables built :0) x

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
Sounds like you've made the right choice. Don't waste any energy on the comments of the previous YO either, it seems to me on some yards that if you expect to be treated like a paying customer and ask for the services you've paid for you can be considered difficult at times. It's their problem not yours.

wernickwonder

Visit site
Some of you may remember my thread about having lost my boxes on a private yard as the owner was going to do livery himself - racehorses in training overspill from licensed yard (wonder if the jockey club knows). Anyhow he only gave me 2 weeks to find somewhere and I was desperate but I found this lovely lady, who had 3 retired racehorses on her private yard, who was prepared to help me out and so I moved.

My horses are housed in what were her field shelters, but these field shelters are not in a field they are in what you could say was a little yard adjacent to a field easy access by gate way.

I am a very clean and tidy individual who spoils her horses but not to the point where they are unpleasant or unhealthy because of it, I just make sure they have what they need to be safe.

Since being there I have helped this lady out with repairing fences, building and repairing wooden gates, strimming 4 fields, helping her by being at her side when we had to have the one horse put down, this was at 10pm at night, mucking out her boxes when she has been away and generally getting on with life and enjoying myself.

Unfortunately it hasnt been the other way around in return - I have been made to feel like I shouldnt be there because she kept going on about how her horses were normally in the field shelters when turned out 24/7, in other words my horses are in them and she doesnt normally have liveries and many people have asked before. Then I couldnt get haylage delivered as she didnt want the truck to drive in to the field incase it upset the already wet ground, but she takes delivery in winter ??? then she says she does not endulge in gossip but she has good many a story to tell about someone (I have not reciprocated with any gossip because I do not approve of it). She suggested that my shetland was put in a shed, I pay full livery rate for a full size stable for him, so that she could have more storage space.

Anyway this is becoming a rather daily thing and very boreing and the final straw was when this lady after making me feel insecure about being there then came to me the one morning to tell me how one of her friends (but she doesnt gossip) told her that they had heard from my previous livery owner that I could be quite "funny at times" and she didnt know what we were going to do about it.

Yes I can be "funny" if you want to mess me when it comes to my horses, but generally I am a really nice person and very loyal, and I can only think that my previous livery owner is saying this because he has a guilty conscience because I am a nice livery person to have around and he did the dirty on me and this lady and her friend have both gone on about how helpful I am to him.

I hope you are still with me on this.....................

So, I said to her, would it be better if I moved then you could have your own yard back to yourself again, the reply was NO NO she didnt want me to move and I should just forget about what her friends have said, hello she shouldnt have said anything in the first place.

Anyway I made some enquiries and have managed to find a yard 10miles away but £90 cheaper and with an arena and a concrete floor rather than mud with rubber mats I have had to purchase. I would not be able to go there after work, finish at 8pm, but hopefully could find another livery to do pm hay.

So I am in a dilemma about whether to go or stay as I don't want to hurt the lady as she helped me out, but then I was offered a yard when I was at the other place and turned it down as I didnt want to hurt him and then look what he did to me in the end.

Then the final straw was today when I was unloading straw and haylage (she relented to get some in) and I said that I wanted to keep some small bales of haylage (I pay for it it is not included in my livery) by my horses in the barn with the straw as it is difficult to move it from where she wanted to stock it and she went off on one again about how it would get damaged and then when I went to roll one in to my wheel barrow she yelled in front of the delivery chap who is a friend of hers - "why are you acting like tarzan", this is the 2nd time she has called me this name in front of someone, the 1st time was when she was battling to remove a tree root and all it needed was to get a good grip of it which I did and she yelled at me then but I didnt think anything of it, HELP what would you lot do. I don't want to be horrible but I also do not pay to be someones whipping boy especially when it is around my horses.
Definately move you are supposed to enjoy your horses and time off sounds like hell!

nixxyz

Visit site
Id move, whilst things are still amicable. Maybe just say your horse is needing the better ground and the arena, and you feel awful but your horses needs come first, tell her you appreciate deeply how she helped you in your time of need then present her with a bottle of wine/ cake/ hamper type thing, and say you'd love to keep in touch, then say when your leaving.
As for the yard being 10 miles away, mine was too, the OH did the morning feed & hay, i came up at lunch time once daughter was at nursery, did the mucking out, second feed etc and OH again did the night feed & hay when he finished work ( horse was a very poor doer ). Luckily for me the yard was on his way to work so handy for us. Maybe you could ask another livery if they would do the night hay etc for a bit of cash?? worth a try as if you dont ask you dont find out :D good luck anyway, its never easy with people like that.

putasocinit

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, wish I did live in another part of the UK, where I am there are very few livery yards about - this is the other reason why I think I should go to the other yard because I did get hold of them when I was looking but they were full and now have space for me, but also if I stay the YO where I am might go crazy again and this time say I should leave in a moment of madness then I would be stuck. I do try to be a good christian person helping out where others need, but sadly the way of the world today is that people like me are not appreciated for it. God bless you all and I hope life only gives you problems that you can manage.

NooNoo59

Visit site
very hard being the only livery on some one elses property, know quite a few people who have there own land who i get on with but wouldnt if i had to share their space if you know what i mean! get on the other yard and start having some fun - how dare she treat you like that when you are a paying customer, sounds she like she deserves to be on her own