SI issues - any positive stories out there?

Pipistrelle

Visit site
Hi, I've been a lurker on here for a while. I have a ISH who is being investigated for SI problems next week, although it already seems to be a foregone conclusion. I would be interested to hear your experiences in dealing with SI issues, especially stories with happy endings (if there are any) to help lift the cloud of worry I'm under at the moment.
Thanks, Pip.

cronkmooar

Visit site
Hi

In a bit of a rush so can't go through the whole story as its long - but search my posts - there is defo something on a thread about Sue Dyson and I think there are others.

Cutting story short

SD said my horse would never be ridden again and he should be PTS

He was about 13/14 at the time - I retired him from ridden work at 25, because I felt that he deserved a good retirement - he would have been happy to keep going.

You wont get 100% but there is hope - good luck

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Yes search and you will find my replies on SI threads - in a nutshell I have a horse diagnosed with chronic SI dysfunction by Sue Dyson. I got LOU for him. I used a physio and sent him to the holistic vet Donna Blinman at Higham ( near Newmarket) she is quite brilliant. She is a vet and an osteopath ; she mobilised my horses's sacrum. Since then he was turned away for a year ( this horse had been abused ridden so needed time to heal mentally). His hoof capsule has even grown on his poor side. He is moving really well. It has been a slow haul - I have used a classical trainer who is very experienced with straightness and he is now finally ready to be ridden once we have built up some muscle through lunging. I am waiting for planning to build a manège. He is though one sound and happy horse and I am confident we will have a great outcome. He has fab dressage breeding.
He is the WB in my siggy. To be honest the fact that he is no longer in pain and dangerous to handle is the icing on the cake for me. If he can be ridden and compete I will be over the moon. His was a chronic injury so probably worse than your horse's - Sue reckons he sustained it at 2 yrs old - he was diagnosed at 6 yrs old. He was turned away September 2011. In hand work recommenced October 2012 and I engaged with this classical trainer in May 2013.

Last edited:

spike123

Visit site
the horse in my signature has a huge scar which goes through his ligaments in the SI region. He had a rolling gait in the walk and carried his tail to the left when i first owned him. He has had alot of chiro treatments and it has more or less come right now. He had a tilt and a rotation initially which was very difficult to keep correct. He had fortnightly treatments at first and gradually over time he now just has 3 monthly check ups. He had huge issues with giving the right canter lead and at one point we thought it highly unlikely he was going to come right. 2 years down the line from his first treatment he can now canter perfectly well on both reins and at his last check up had just a minimal tilt. He is due to have his next check up soon so Im hoping things have stayed put and all will be ok. He isn't showing any signs of discomfort and now walks normally carrying his tail straight.

Pipistrelle

Visit site
Thank you all for the positive news on your horses, so good to hear there are good outcomes for horses with SI injuries. We now suspect my horse's injury was sustained as a youngster. Until now he hasn't shown any lameness, he just has a history of not using his hindquarters very well and occasionally being nappy out hacking and sadly this has been put down to 'his character/being stubborn/just the way he is/behavioural issues/lack of training' ... etc but recently he has developed intermittent hindlimb lameness and reluctance to canter in the school. He is also sore over the SI area. I'm out of my mind with worry, but am so grateful for your stories giving me hope that he may be able to have a pain-free life and possibly be able to return to ridden work.
Pip