Si issues

cavana13

Visit site
Hi has anybody horse had SI issues?

My mare was always weak on the right hind, but over the last two years has muscled up great on both sides, I when on holiday and when I came back my mares rump was quite high like she is growing again, but sore on top of the croup around SI area, we have done the bute test and she felt better but still a bit sore on the croup of the SI area. She has never been lame and only a bit lame when we did I high up lame test. My vet has recommended injections via scan. I was just wondering if anybody else's horse has similar issues.

Her canter is fine and moving forward, the only thing I can see is the soreness on her right hind croup

Piaffe123

Visit site
A horse I used to ride had issues with her SI, very sore in there bless her. Injections have pretty much totally sorted it for her! She hasn't needed the treatment to be repeated either yet.

cavana13

Visit site
Thank you Piaffe123, I just cannot get my head round her symptoms, as she is not lame, but only in high flection test nothing wrong with canter leads. She will be having the treatment next Tuesday under a scan and hopefully sort it all out. My mare is like princess and the pea tho

piglet2001

Visit site
Yes I am afraid I would never have this done again mine who has had it twice and two other horses. The two other horses both ended up at Newmarket vets for steroid induced laminitis and my horse first time it has no effect and then second time he had a massive inflammatory reaction against the steroids. None were small ponys who would be more suspect able to laminitis

AllTheBees

Visit site
My horse started showing extreme tenderness in SI area with palpation and felt like a bomb about to explode under saddle. Also, his canter went nowhere. Had bilateral injections (scan guided) in SI. Kept him in for 4 days to lessen risk of steroid induced lami, but he started unridden walk work immediately, followed by gradually increasing ridden work and regular lungeing in a pessoa. No pain and he's a different horse! Good luck.

JillA

Visit site
My 36 yr old arab mare did, main symptom was dragging her hinds and wearing off the toes. Because of her age treatment wasn't appropriate, so we managed it with Danilon for a while, then I found she responded well to turmeric. But that was managing it in a retired horse, so maybe not the same as yours.

cavana13

Visit site
That's fantastic news for you Allthebees, did they know what caused it,

My mare now has the injections via scan, week in the field and just started the walking over poles, physio Thursday, but straight after the jabs she was not sore in the area, so I am thinking this is a positive, as before if you touched the top of croup she would just flinch away

cavana13

Visit site
Hi JillA, I've already got my mare on turmeric, I understand every horse has different symptoms, my mare didn't drag her toes, she was sore to touch and cranky turning right, as she was sore under saddle. Glad you can get the soreness under control