Siberian Husky Puppies in Rescue - Nearly 8 weeks old need homes

Dobiegirl

Visit site
That is very sad but maybe a good thing they are in rescue as they will actually be very fussy who has them and these future owners will give them a good life.

Battersea dogs home have stated they are seeing more and more of these dogs being handed in and Im sure people who own them on here know they are not a dog for everybody. The fact they are being bred by bybs who are none to fussy about the health and temperment of the dogs being used and so are turning out unhealthy dogs with iffy temperments.

BBH

Visit site
I know nothing about Huskys tbh and I'm sure most people don't as they are not that common, or certainly not down my way.

Yes this rescue will make sure they go to appropriate homes.

I wonder what their story is though.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Story is that huskies are the in breed, they are adorable looking puppies with their cute blue eyes, for which a lot of money can be demanded, sadly they grow up to be terrible pets - they like to hang in a pack, they like to dig, they like to howl and they can and do run all day, sometimes after sheep and cats, with their tremendous prey drive...can be seen around here dragging their owners along on a chain lead and harness on their ten-minute bimble around the block to be chucked out at 18-24 months, when they become especially annoying.

Star_Chaser

Visit site
better off going to the breed rescue they will have a list of people who will be breed experienced these are not for the inexperienced owner. Siberian Husky rescue are swamped though.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
better off going to the breed rescue they will have a list of people who will be breed experienced these are not for the inexperienced owner. Siberian Husky rescue are swamped though.

This. SHCGB Welfare only take in KC reg dogs and they are still so swamped that they have closed their intake for the forseeable - something like 18 dogs waiting to come in last I looked. SHWA take unreg as well and are sending out daily pleas for more foster and permanent homes, there are not enough knowledgable homes for these dogs.

I adopted another one last year but it's a drop in the ocean. I would dearly love to take on another but even I think they're a pain in the ass.

Faro

Visit site
Wish I could help. Adore Huskies - however, I know full well that they would be completely the wrong breed for me and my lifestyle, as much as I love their looks! Fingers crossed they all find wonderful homes.

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Story is that huskies are the in breed, they are adorable looking puppies with their cute blue eyes, for which a lot of money can be demanded, sadly they grow up to be terrible pets - they like to hang in a pack, they like to dig, they like to howl and they can and do run all day, sometimes after sheep and cats, with their tremendous prey drive...can be seen around here dragging their owners along on a chain lead and harness on their ten-minute bimble around the block to be chucked out at 18-24 months, when they become especially annoying.

Absolutely agree, CC; mals are the same, if not worse!

I wish all those people who want the latest 'in' dog would read this.

There is a film being made of the famous serum run across Alaska by dog sled, so the rescues centers are going to get even more packed :(:(

Star_Chaser

Visit site
This. SHCGB Welfare only take in KC reg dogs and they are still so swamped that they have closed their intake for the forseeable - something like 18 dogs waiting to come in last I looked. SHWA take unreg as well and are sending out daily pleas for more foster and permanent homes, there are not enough knowledgable homes for these dogs.

I adopted another one last year but it's a drop in the ocean. I would dearly love to take on another but even I think they're a pain in the ass.

Pity if they only take in KC registered although I can see why with so many crossbreeds out there. Its worth letting them know though. Always thought it was a little shortsighted that some breed rescues only taken on those with a registrations.

PorkChop

Visit site
We looked into the breed years ago, and obviously decided that they would not be suitable for us. Bearing in mind that I don't work and have acres of farmland, I can't imagine there would be many homes that would be suitable. But it does beg the question how other's go ahead and get a husky puppy, everyone has access to google at least.

That being said I see two husky's (they may be malamute's) regularly and they are super well behaved and look fantastic. However all the other's are not, and are usually dragging their owners along :( such a shame, such a beautiful, striking breed.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That's mad re KC registration :( how many of the chuck-outs are likely to be KC registered? Bearing in mind they are mostly being bred as a nice little earner in the first place, not many around here would make that sort of outlay.

KarynK

Visit site
Sadly CC they are full with just KC registered rescue! That means that potentially some KC breeders are not being careful enough in placing puppies in the first place. As we know they are intelligent, wilful, noisy and destructive. They have little guarding instinct and can be quite aloof even with owners. They are not pets but working dogs bred to run fast tied to a sled and other dogs in the team. If you are not doing that with them then you need to do some kind of activity equal to that ON A LEAD especially those with a working pedigree, how many homes can honestly offer that?
It's very sad that their looks have got them into this situation, there are far too many being bred inside and outside the KC, there are simply not enough suitable homes for them.

misterjinglejay

Visit site
So many, coming from BYB, do have 'papers' and have 'health checked' parents- the papers may or may not be from the KC; but buyers don't always check these. It could be a home printed pedigree and therefore not 'official', or the paper may register the dog with the breeders own 'club', rather than the KC. I'm not sure how easy it is to fake KC papers, or even if its worth doing this, when they can register anything as long as it is pedigree!

Buyers need to be aware of these 'scams', but unfortunately don't seem to be, or don't want to know, thinking that their wolf dog is a bargain from the bloke down the pub.

Also health checked parents are not health tested parents - no hip scores, eye tests etc. And again, I'm sure buyers are fooled with fake results, and even fake parent dogs (puppy buyers - check the bitches nipples - you'll soon know if she is the mum!)

LRJ - my mals are trained to pull, and pull they do - on a rig, down the road, towards unsuspecting victims, arms out of sockets :D They are not well behaved on a lead, but behave perfectly on the trail. We originally wanted them to be brave pups, happy to go out front, and take the strain - now we have monsters (definitely a work in progress!)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
However all the other's are not, and are usually dragging their owners along :(

534401_10150879528028922_930878594_n.jpg

Occupational hazard of sibe ownership. :p

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Always thought it was a little shortsighted that some breed rescues only taken on those with a registrations.

This, and the fact that SHCGB don't allow non KC reg'd dogs to run in their rallies (even with evidence of neutering, covering letter from established member, microchip/tattoo etc.) is why I will continue to support SHWA who take in any sibe, registered or not.

That being said I see two husky's (they may be malamute's)

Easy way to tell the difference - malamutes have enough space between the ears for a party hat, because malamutes like parties.

:D

And the fact that they're on average twice the weight of a sibe, a lot taller with a great deal more bone, a tightly curled tail (I appreciate that some sibes have this also but it ought to be straight like a fox's brush) and will never have blue eyes unlike a sibe who may have eyes of any colour including bi and parti coloured eyes. They are a freighting animal as opposed to the sprinting sibes. :)

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Easy way to tell the difference - malamutes have enough space between the ears for a party hat, because malamutes like parties.

:D

And the fact that they're on average twice the weight of a sibe, a lot taller with a great deal more bone, a tightly curled tail (I appreciate that some sibes have this also but it ought to be straight like a fox's brush) and will never have blue eyes unlike a sibe who may have eyes of any colour including bi and parti coloured eyes. They are a freighting animal as opposed to the sprinting sibes. :)

Love the party hat!!!! Ours ate their party hats :D

Mals are the cobs of the dogging world (although more like welsh cobs due to their attitude!) whereas sibes are affectionately known as 'halfers' (half the dogs that mallies are *running for cover*)

suzysparkle

Visit site
Oh dear :-(

In the last couple of years there has definately been a surge in popularity. It's not just the fact that so many people rush out and buy one without researching, but also the terrible examples of dogs that I keep seeing around here generally dragging their owners about. A few of mine are just impossible to walk on a lead - hence they are worked in harness - what they were bred to do in the first place.

Interestingly I've also seen a few people over the years rush out and buy a few dogs, get all the equipment, become 'instant experts' and post rubbish advice on forums then give up after a couple of years. Poor dogs.

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Oh dear :-(

In the last couple of years there has definately been a surge in popularity. It's not just the fact that so many people rush out and buy one without researching, but also the terrible examples of dogs that I keep seeing around here generally dragging their owners about. A few of mine are just impossible to walk on a lead - hence they are worked in harness - what they were bred to do in the first place.

Interestingly I've also seen a few people over the years rush out and buy a few dogs, get all the equipment, become 'instant experts' and post rubbish advice on forums then give up after a couple of years. Poor dogs.

You are so right - lots of so-called experts who haven't ever been near a rig, and yet give 'knowledgeable' answers to questions posted.
We researched the breed for years, waited for the right breeder to have a litter, and now have some fantastic mentors who are so helpful and very experienced (mushing on the circuit for decades).
This'll be our first season racing - eeekkk!

So many people just buy the wolfy dog, with no background research and expect them to behave like a 'normal' pet dog! They are possibly badly bred, temperament problems, health issues, etc - put that with a numpty owner, and rescue(if lucky) or bloke down the pub is the next port of call.

Last edited:

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
While at the (lovely!) show today we were approached no less than three times by different people enquiring if Ricoh was available for stud. :eek:

This has never happened before so I hate to be judgy in that way but it must have been the area we were in. Certainly there were more sibes and mals about than I was expecting to see including some which appeared to have very poor temperaments.

I was ready with a tongue lashing and SHWA leaflets...

misterjinglejay

Visit site
OMG bc, that just sums up the state the breed is in at the mo; numpty, chavvy owners who want to fund their next holiday/new car by becoming BYB, and not giving two *****s about the breed, or where their pups end up. Although at least they knew a good dog when they saw one - Ricoh is gorgeous!

Good for you with the tongue lashing and leaflets!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I will have to print more and keep the car stocked up. Ricoh is gorgeous but an utter plank and only a very average example of the breed - thankfully he lost his balls long ago and SHWA would have lopped them off anyway if he hadn't. :p

He is really getting to grips with his harness work now, he is my solo bikejor dog of choice at the moment. :)