Side loading trailers

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Hi
I’m thinking of changing my trailer to something that has a wide side loading ramp like you find on a 3.5t lorry. Is Equitrek the only manufacturer to do this or are there others with this type of large in and out ramp? Thanks

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi
I’m thinking of changing my trailer to something that has a wide side loading ramp like you find on a 3.5t lorry. Is Equitrek the only manufacturer to do this or are there others with this type of large in and out ramp? Thanks

When I bought my horsebox (3.5 tonne) I remarked to the manufacturer that, if they made a trailer the same, but a tow hitch instead of a cab, they would clean up. They sell much sturdier and better made horseboxes than Equitrek.

They told me that they would like to, and looked into it. But... Equitrek have some sort of patent over the design with the living at the front, rear facing, side ramp configuration. Until then, no one can do it.

Seems an awful situation, the only ones made like this are so awful that most people won't put their horse on one, and everyone else is banned from making them.

I did go look at Equitrek but wouldn't buy as I thought the design was faulty (breast bar and small back door is a no no and even the Fire Brigade have attempted to make it not permitted to design them like this), and the fittings were so lightweight that I didn't think they would contain my horse. The finish was terrible too.

The patent will eventually run out and then more will build them, not sure when that will be though.

One manufacturer did bring out a herringbone trailer with a rear ramp and living at the front. A trailer isn't really wide enough for this to work with many horses though. It was too cramped in the back. One other did a side loader, front facing. Because of the wheels and how weight was distributed though, ti was too high where the horses stand.

Hence me having a 3.5 tonne instead of a trailer!

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
When I bought my horsebox (3.5 tonne) I remarked to the manufacturer that, if they made a trailer the same, but a tow hitch instead of a cab, they would clean up. They sell much sturdier and better made horseboxes than Equitrek.

They told me that they would like to, and looked into it. But... Equitrek have some sort of patent over the design with the living at the front, rear facing, side ramp configuration. Until then, no one can do it.

Seems an awful situation, the only ones made like this are so awful that most people won't put their horse on one, and everyone else is banned from making them.

I did go look at Equitrek but wouldn't buy as I thought the design was faulty (breast bar and small back door is a no no and even the Fire Brigade have attempted to make it not permitted to design them like this), and the fittings were so lightweight that I didn't think they would contain my horse. The finish was terrible too.

The patent will eventually run out and then more will build them, not sure when that will be though.

One manufacturer did bring out a herringbone trailer with a rear ramp and living at the front. A trailer isn't really wide enough for this to work with many horses though. It was too cramped in the back. One other did a side loader, front facing. Because of the wheels and how weight was distributed though, ti was too high where the horses stand.

Hence me having a 3.5 tonne instead of a trailer!
Thanks Red. Oh that’s interesting and what a shame. I’d love a 3.5t but they are out of budget sadly :-(

HeyMich

Visit site
Well, I have an EquiTrek and I'm really pleased with it - the beasts all travel well, it's balanced nicely, the tack room is a god send. Not all reviews of them are negative!

And looking around the full trailer park at the local Hunter Trials today, I'd say there are quite a few others who are also happy with an EquiTrek - we are most definitely not the only one. So I'd say, if you want the side load configuration, please go and try one and make up your own mind.

neddy man

Visit site
I'm sure that a similar thread a short while ago said something along the lines of Equi-trec patent only lasts for 5 yrs or so and soon other manufacturers will be able to build similar designs, but I could be wrong.

Esmae

Visit site
I had one but wouldn't have another. The ramps seem to be problematic, ours had begun to rot when we px'd it. Also if you do have a problem, as we did early on, then the company are awful to try to deal with. It's a real shame because the actual design with a few minor tweaks is a good one in my view.

Britestar

Visit site
I've had an Equitrek for the last 17yrs odd.
I love it, horses love it, tows great. Upgraded to the night treka 2 years ago.
You'll always get the haters, but I love it. Its serviced on a yearly basis. I think a lot of folk don't bother with that and that leads to problems.

Spottyappy

Visit site
We had an equitrek and it was fine, horses travelled really well in it too.
sold it to upgrade to a 3.5t. But we are needing small living on the odd occasion, so we may sell our ifor and buy another. The horses travel better, imho, in the lorry or equitrek compared with the ifor.

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Someone on our yard used to have an equitrek and hated it! She said she’d never have another as it was awful to tow and that she’d stick with ifor or cheval liberte.

I’ve also never been keen on side loaders, but think that’s because my horse hates them! I was speaking to my yard owner and apparently a lot of horses find side loading confusing as they can’t get a grip of the depth.