Side saddle lesson - any tips?

EarsofaSnowman

Visit site
I'm finally having a week off work and, as we can't get away, have booked myself a few different riding experiences.

Monday I'm off to Talland, to have a side saddle lesson, something I've long wanted to try. Any tips or advice so I can make the most of it?

I've also got a standard lesson planned, and looking forward to a different set of eyes critiquing my riding.

I was hoping to smarten up for my visit to Talland but given the weather it's more likely to be a cool, loose running top. Will that be okay? I'll take a change of top for my second lesson. Clean jods, boots and chaps of course.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
For a taster session you just need to be safe and comfortable but we would normally wear shirt, tie, waistcoat and gloves for a training session. You might feel cooler and get a better feel if you wear just your jodhpur boot on your right foot. The saddle might not have a doe skin seat in which case you will feel more secure in breeches with a grippy seat. If you have a favourite schooling whip take it along as your right leg. A riding school side-saddle may well not fit you and you might feel uncomfortable without a queen (padding) being applied or removed from the leaping head. It depends the shape of your thigh. You will be asked to twizzle your waist to the right and put your right shoulder back and your left shoulder forward and not to grip up with your left knee. Don’t be tempted to try canter on the left rein unless you are super confident because it feels horrible. On the right rein it feels magic. Have a great time and we need photos.

Last edited: