Side saddle riding?

Lucinda_x

Visit site
Hey :)

Whats it like riding side saddle? I'd love to have a go at it and maybe even get my boy doing it but have no idea about it, any info appriciated!

Lucy

DollyDolls

Visit site
No idea, try another forum, "the showring" they have people on there that do.

I am going to a camp in the spring where we get to try it. Could let you know after.

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
It's like Marmite, you either love it or you hate it...

Unfortunately, if you love it, be prepared to be VERY VERY poor as side saddles and side saddle stuff ain't cheap!!! Ask me how I know, LOL!

I personally prefer it to riding "normal" as it doesn't b*gger up my hip. I even have an off-side side saddle for when my arthritic right hip is acting up.

You use different muscles to riding normal but I find side saddle that I have a better position and that Hattie goes better in it. I don't have to keep nagging her with my leg like I do when astride.

Any riding faults you have will be magnified when side saddle which I find helpful as then it throws in my face what I have to work on position wise to correct myself as if you don't sit properly on a side saddle, you come off. LOL, again, ask me and my broken rib how I know!!!

A warning though that it is very addictive and you'll soon find yourself collecting side saddles and other aside bits and bobs :)

Sammy_46

Visit site
I had one lesson a couple of years ago as a birthday present and loved it :) took a little while to get used to it, getting your balance and your weight in the right place and using your aids propely but it was really fun! I'd love to do it more but just never got round to it xxx

Stelzar

Visit site
Heya Lucinda,

I used to ride side saddle alot, I used to compete in Arundal at the Area 10! It is elegant and you basically have no chance of falling off as it is so secure.

However you need to be careful on keeping your weight distrubuted evenly, it is on one of my very long lists to do is buy a side saddle once I do I will teach you!

Stelzar ;-)

I rode side saddle on my wedding day......

n534667108_1558924_7141.jpg

n534667108_1558932_8991.jpg

Drummer

Visit site
If you have a google you may find some nearbye clinics or instructors? I have only tried it a couple of times on my own horse, twice for a lesson/play then at our wedding too! It is very elegant, not that I felt it though but I am hoping to get into it a bit more as also hooked. My ss instructor who came out to help for our wedding is going to do some phoning around and see if there is a saddle around to hire that will fit my boy, I know there are a few places that hire them out for the season. I am not much help sorry!!! But yes give it a go it is very fun!!!

Gorgeous pics of your horse and you. I had mine at our wedding two, only his third time ss and was soo good bless him!
36089_434926065134_686815134_5663079_996146_n.jpg