Side Saddle

lovecharles

Visit site
Hiya,

I've always liked watching side saddle classes at shows - so elegant!

I was wondering, can you use your 'general' horse for side saddle or does he have to be specifically trained?

Any ideas/info/help much appriciated!

lovecharles

Visit site
also, can i still compete in dressage or just showing classes?

just any information about riding aside much appriciated
smile.gif

jennyjenny

Visit site
Side saddle riders can do anything astride riders do. Go to the National Side saddle Show at Addington at the beginning of August and you will get a very good idea. Apart from showing they have dressage, jumping, costume plus equitation. Any well balanced horse will carry a side saddle but would recommend a few lessons to start with. There are now several saddlers making new side saddles as we tend to use broader cobby type horses now and the old saddles were generally made for blood horses.

hellybelly6

Visit site
I love side saddle riding. Any horse can be ridden side saddle, but make sure they are familiar with the feel of it first before mounting. Most horses take to it without a problem, but some find the balancing strap a bit odd at first.

As Mockingbird says, go for a few lessons 1st and when your horse is used to carrying the side saddle, have some lessons on him/her.

The important thing to remember is keep your hips straight and in line with the horse's shoulders and keep your right shoulder back to help achieve this.

It is traditional to ride a horse side saddle in a double bridle.

jennyjenny

Visit site
Also would recommend you find a qualified saddler to fit your horse. Try looking at the Side Saddle Association website for info.
As Highlandponylass says, the important thing is to sit square to your horse

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I have a fantastic insturctor whom travels to see me from Oxford, I am in the West Midlands. She would probalby bring up her side saddles and then rock up, put on a side saddle, jump on the pony and then give it you back in 15 mins and say, come on then girl your turn. She is brill, very encouraging but also very matter of fact.

The only weird thing I have found is when you canter on left rein - everyone tells you its really bad and scary but I am still waiting for the bad scary things to happen.

My boy is 17hh, and as soon as the side saddle goes on he grows another hand and is so "haughty". I do regular dressage tests on him, but always ask permission to do so first, and usually have to wear a "normal"riding hat.

I am going to the nationals so my best advice is to come down, meet the gang, have some fun, ask loads of questions and book a lesson or two.