Side Saddle

RubysGold

Visit site
Has anyone had a go? Or does anyone do it regularly?

me and a friend (chickeninabun) are going for a taster day tomorrow. So a 20 minutes Side Saddle lesson. I am SO excited, Ive always wanted to have a go :D

(Id love to see pictures if anyone does do it :D)

ebonyallen

Visit site
I was told to try this because of my leg, but we do not have anything local that could have a try. Would love to know how you both get on with it, please give us an update and pics would be great. Have a great day, good luck with it.

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
YAY! Welcome to the dark side :D It's so much fun and I prefer it to astride. In fact, I very rarely ride astride any more now except for the odd times when my side saddles are at the saddlers (which they currently are now getting tweaked for the upcoming show season) or I have a schooling issue/or hacking somewhere far where I'm going to have to get off.

I also mostly ride on the off-side as well due to my dodgey right hip and have two side saddles where I can ride this way (one is a reversible) but I also have a normal nearside Mayhew as well but you will find that if you do take it up, you start to collect them, lol :D
We're going to be showing offside all this year and hope to get down to the Nationals to show in August. My friend who plays polo is going to fix it for me to go to one of his club's "Have a go" days for me to try it side saddle as well (that reminds me to ask him about it tomorrow when I see him) so there really isn't anything you can't do while side saddle.

Here is us before our last dressage test in November before I gave Hattie the winter off...
off1.jpg

In the summer on my "normal" sided side saddle and winning the class! :D
sk2b.jpg

sk1a.jpg

I have a blog about my side saddle experiences and lots of photos too (http://www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk) although I've not written much lately due to not riding much over winter but that should change soon as I'm bringing Hattie back into work today as our first show is at the end of the month!!

Have fun at your lesson and give us a full report! :)

ReggiePerrin

Visit site
Oh me too, I'm dying to give it a go! I did ride in a sidesaddle once as a kid and enjoyed it and definitely want to do it with Barney once he's strong enough. It's mostly a vanity thing, not only do I think the habit looks very glamourous, his white markings are on his offside and normally hidden by my leg, so I think he'd look fab side saddle!

clippi

Visit site
I've done a bit, for a time I hired the side saddle from a lovely lady in devon
Not the best pic in the world and I don't have an apron on
cliptrot1.jpg

sidewaysonacob

Visit site

RubysGold

Visit site
Was great fun! I really enjoyed it :)

There was a lady there that competes side saddle, and she was lovely, she did a demo for us, and then stopped and chatted to us and showed us pics and talked about her horse. It was lovely.

Got a few pics :D but their not brilliant because of the lighting

2013-03-02140639_zpsfc48ef0a.jpg

2013-03-02140632_zpsb8eb4e4b.jpg

2013-03-02140249_zps6b42d007.jpg

2013-03-02135721_zpsec43c26a.jpg

2013-03-02135716_zps6ff1f4ae.jpg

Jnhuk

Visit site

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
Yay! Pictures!!!
I went with RubysGold to have a side saddle lesson (I'm in the orange jumper!) and it was great! I was so nervous beforehand but found it much better and much more secure feeling than I thought it would be!

Sidesaddlegirl - How wonderful it must be to just go out on a hack side saddle! How elegant! Although there did seem to be quite a bit of tacking/faffing involved, which I might not have time for!

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
Sidesaddlegirl - How wonderful it must be to just go out on a hack side saddle! How elegant! Although there did seem to be quite a bit of tacking/faffing involved, which I might not have time for!

It is fun hacking out side saddle- but yes, there is a lot of faffing. You have to get to shows earlier to get tacked up and ready as there is so much stuff to put on (horse AND rider) but it's worth the extra time :)

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
Hey there!......You both look brill....where did you go for your sessions?

Very Flambards ( showing my age lol)

We went to Acrecliffe Equestrian Centre near Otley, W Yorks, for our lessons. It was a big yard but really nice. There was even a log burning fire in the spectators gallery!! Although it wasn't lit for us!

DifficultMare

Visit site
Yes, my friend and I had our first lesson at the end of last year with Roger Philpott - it was great and we both loved it. Apparently we were quite good at it too, we ended up riding the intermediate equitation test to finish off our session. Can't wait to have another go - and hopefully introduce my own horse to the delights!!:D

mandwhy

Visit site
I would like to have a go it looks interesting! They do sampler lessons at my local equine college. I have never even seen one in real life!

Silly question but my horse is pretty barrel shaped, I find it hard for even a well fitted saddle not to slip a bit, I imagine side saddle I'd be on the floor! I assume your weight is mostly over the back of the horse or it wouldn't be very comfy for them, I do not understand the logistics :)

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
mandwhy - fitting a very cobby horse with a side saddle can be tricky, but it has been done! The main problem is that most of us use vintage saddles dating from 1890-1930ish, when there weren't many cobs being ridden by ladies, so few vintage saddles go beyond a medium wide/wide. There is a 'balance strap' that goes from the nearside girth points to the back of the saddle at the offside that helps keep everything balanced, plus when you're sitting correctly your weight is actually in the center, honest! The majority of your weight sits along your right thigh, thus spreading it out evenly across the saddle :)

terrierliz

Visit site
Rubysgold - I also attended the taster day on Saturday with a couple of friends.

We really enjoyed it and are planning on booking some more lessons, then hopefully can find a saddle to hire to have a go on my boy :D

nikCscott

Visit site
I've been having lessons at Tallend and really enjoy it.

The are having a SS show in a couple of months and I'm going to hire a horse and have a go there to see if its something I really want to get into :D

Cobsndogs

Visit site
Yes, my friend and I had our first lesson at the end of last year with Roger Philpott - it was great and we both loved it. Apparently we were quite good at it too, we ended up riding the intermediate equitation test to finish off our session. Can't wait to have another go - and hopefully introduce my own horse to the delights!!:D

I had my first lesson there a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, so will definately be going back again. Which horses did you ride?

sam72431

Visit site
I've always liked the idea of having a go at sidesaddle I love watching the sidesaddle class at any shows I go to! How well do horses adjust to side saddle?! Am I right in thinking that there is an extra girth?! Are horses accepting of this? Thanks

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
There are very few horses that won't accept a side saddle and don't bother trying one on a known rearer, just not worth it.

My horse was 13 when I first tried her with a side saddle and had never had one on her before. She took to it like an old pro! She was a bit confused for the first few minutes wondering where my leg had gone but they soon become very sensitive to your aids across their back and end up going much better in a side saddle as they don't have a rider with a vice like death grip on their back! Plus, you can get away with a sloppy position riding astride as you have a leg on each side to balance you but with side saddle, you HAVE to sit properly and use your core muscles or else you come off so your horse will thank you for sitting properly! :D

You have three girths with a side saddle, your fold leather girth (I get lovely soft ones made by Robert Jenkins), an overgirth which is actually sewn onto the flaps of the saddle and then the balance girth which goes diagonally from the saddle and buckles onto the tree point on the opposite side. Most horses don't notice that girth and they quickly get used to it and forget it's there! :)

DifficultMare

Visit site
I had my first lesson there a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, so will definately be going back again. Which horses did you ride?

I rode the large bay gelding - I think he was called Graham? My friend rode the gorgeous coloured cob Squadron Leader Jefferson - Jeffrey!

Absolutely loved it, both horses were lovely and I can't wait to go back!

Cobsndogs

Visit site
I rode the large bay gelding - I think he was called Graham? My friend rode the gorgeous coloured cob Squadron Leader Jefferson - Jeffrey!

Absolutely loved it, both horses were lovely and I can't wait to go back!

I rode him too, which was really good, as I have loaned him to them for the past 18 months, and hence why I was pretty keen to get up there and have a go sidesaddle (as obviously have ridden him astride a fair amount). Can't quite bring myself to call him Graham, that's not his real name it's my husbands !!!