*Sigh* The older they get, the worse the behaviour!

Crazydancer

Visit site
My 20 yr old old gelding went to his first show in ages yesterday. A friend rode him, he was the perfect gent to hack there, hung around the showground seemingly unconcerned about it all. So we put his show tack on, and they headed over to the 'Ridden Veterans' class..... and that's when it started to go wrong!! He put in some pretty impressive bucks, and was so wound up he looked like he might pop! She managed to stay on, and get him into the ring, but he was very wound up! So they were pulled in at the bottom of the line. He then managed a lovely individual display, rider did so well in keeping him calm, and judge really liked him, so she was pulled back up to 3rd!!
We were so thrilled. Even he looked impressed..... he then hacked home like a pro, so calm. Not bad for a horse who has been on light hacking only duties for 5 years.

Here's one of his 'going to pop' moments....
532421_2975615967801_432450936_n.jpg

Getting better...
545475_2975619327885_1172635162_n.jpg

and one with their frilly!
486472_2975623968001_1889697643_n.jpg

millikins

Visit site
He's very handsome. We take our 16 yr old mare out sometimes as a "treat". She's always a disgrace and does most of a Prelim test sideways. Then I feel mean because it's because she's excited but how many entry fees can I afford to waste?

palomino698

Visit site
Well done to your old boy (and his rider, you're lucky to have such a lovely friend!) - he's beautiful and looks very pleased to have had an outing!

Ours are 21 and 22 and bored stiff doing nothing but walk round the village at the weekend. I'd love someone to take them out to play, DDs just don't want to make the effort any more :(

Hope you get him out to play again soon, more pics please!

Crazydancer

Visit site
Thanks! My 'helper' is 18 and shares a horse with her mum, so I offered my old guy so they could both go, I was on my 5 yr old. I knew he'd be a bit excited but never thought he'd be that bad! But pleased he settled for her in the ring.
I think she enjoyed it and has been looking around for other shows to take him to, so as long as he stays sound (and showing isn't high-impact) it will be lovely for him to get out. :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Lovely pics. Mines 23 & is good as gold mostly but with me has earnt the right to be silly in some situations. She is allowed to have a good buck/bronc hacking with me if she feels like it & race round small jumps like a maniac on a loose rein. Plus hand grazing while I open/close field gate & numerous hand treats, plus if she wants to do collected canter to/from the field that's ok too. She's good for anyone else & for me if I ask, so she gets away with stuff I wouldn't dream of letting another horse do. And actually quite pleased she still has it in her to act like a prat. Your boys lovely & doesn't look like anyone's informed him he's supposed to look & act like a veteran these days.