Signs you were a horsey kid in the 1960's/1970's

Teajack

Visit site
i've already posted but someone mentioned rubber riding boots earlier and that triggered a memory. I remember having to ride without stirrups at the riding school and everyones boots falling off because our mums bought them too big for us so they lasted. The instructor had to go round and gather them up and then it too ages to find your own ones. I also remember the nightmare of getting the boots on and off when they got tight!!

I sold my bicycle to buy rubber boots from an advert in Riding. They cost £6 - an hour's ride at the time was £1.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I lived not far from Pennwood riding stables, too poor for lessons there (too poor for lessons anywhere), but my richer friend Jackie tried out Pennwood Forge Mill when he was for sale before he went on to great things. Her father wouldn’t buy him!

Wow 😮 I have an old Pennwood GP saddle which I treasure & everybody who sits in it loves 😅

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
It's my ringtone!

I didn't own a pony as a child so my space hopper was jumped around a set of home made jumps in the garden!

Me too - a big blue one 😅

Also I had a great tree in my back garden with a bent trunk which was just the right height for a pony - carpet for saddle - rope for bridle & reins - my lovely old neighbour used to ask me where I was riding to when he saw me 🙂

Petalpoos

Visit site
What a great thread! So many memories I share (I am 60). What about 'Pony' magazine and the £5 foals you could get from the New forest sales!?
Not that I could even have afforded one of those, but I could dream! I used to go and sit on the gypsy horses in the field behind my house, when they were lying down. Big old coloured cobs, that were quite unusual then, and tethered with a big leather collar and a chain.

Baywonder

Visit site
Oh I love this thread! I remember Penwood Forge Mill too! My first hat (second hand) was velvet with elastic, and my jods were the old cord ones with the sticking out thighs! We had a dome topped wall in the garden - and this was my imaginary horse for years. Also, I remember going to the Royal International Horse Show, having a 'Rover Day Pass' - which allowed you to wander around the stable area amongst the horses and riders. Armed with my autograph book, I got signatures from David Broome, Malcolm Pyrah and Nick Skelton (and others that I can't remember off the top of my head) I asked Harvey Smith but he was in an arsey mood and he said 'no' in not a very polite way!

I spent a day at the local stables helping out once, and at the end of the day the yard owner said I could help out every weekend, and in return I could have a free riding lesson once a month. I was about to jump up and down ecstatically screaming 'yes please!' - but my dad said 'no way - that's slave labour!'. I was not a happy bunny and I never forgave my dad for that!
I also remember Jennie Loriston-Clark doing dressage on saddles with hardly any knee roll - not like today's saddles!

I daresay I will be back later to add more to this thread! <goes to look for childhood autograph book>

Trouper

Visit site
the first thing i can ever remember thinking was i wanted a horse

i still have a video of follyfoot, someone bought me dorian williams book, i had a black jacatex riding jacket, which was greatly admired by an american horsey visitor, i bought my first saddle from pennwood for, wait for it...........£9 and knew pennwood forgemill personally

i remember lugging round all those jute rugs when i first started a business and how think how lovely todays rugs are every time i use them nearly

but that tack shop full of london coloured bridles with their shiny
bits and lovely wide hunter nosebands and the glorious smell of leather

going to the royal show at stoneleigh and seeing horses like skibbereen a beautiful chestnot who, out of 40 horses in the ring stood out, in a class of his own, when ridden by vin toulson, i would spend the whole morning sat by ringside watching class after class of ridden and in hand classes, it was fascinating

sitting up till midnight with my grandad and his wonderful tales of riding through the deserts of arabia

does anyone think horsey tendencies are hereditary?
Yes Tristar - definitely hereditary. Grandfather was a trooper in the Lancers in the late 19th Century (well I am 72 now!) and it surely skipped a generation with the parents. Fortunately they acknowledged the history and spent the very spare pennies to ensure we could learn to ride. I am eternally grateful.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
C+ still exists, it didn't when I did my PC tests, you just had D, C, B, H and A. I remember tetrathlon being introduced and being there mainly for boys, the girls could compete but didn't qualify for anything but the boys did, my friends and I weren't impressed as we could beat the boys!
Yup, I remember when the C+ came out at our pony club in 1981, I jointly examined it that summer!
My daughter went on to do hers in 1996 or 97

Ref exracehorse comment above re the jodhs going up legs, my mum sewed elastic on the bottom of the legs of them so they hooked over boots, this was the 60s.

swilliam

Visit site
I remember many of these things - 65 now. Iused to have a riding lesson once a week from being 6. wearing winged jods and having leaves put under my knees that were supposed to stay there for the whole lesson, or I'd get shouted at.
When I was 12, I started riding for a traveller who had settled down and had grazing right on 500 acres of common ground called The Lines in Medaway Kent. Anyone else remember the horses there? We used to catch up and ride with headcollars to save carrying tack. My favourite pony once ran away with me across the top of the hill, following a couple of loose ones I'd been trying to herd back to the field. Some Ameriican tourists were very impressed apparently! As others have said, no Health and safety concerns there. Engine oil in the hooves so we could hack in the snow. We all survived

tristar

Visit site
Yes Tristar - definitely hereditary. Grandfather was a trooper in the Lancers in the late 19th Century (well I am 72 now!) and it surely skipped a generation with the parents. Fortunately they acknowledged the history and spent the very spare pennies to ensure we could learn to ride. I am eternally grateful.

skipped a generation here too!

wiglet

Visit site
I didn't have a pony of my own, I had to make do with weekly riding lessons. I had all the gear though, even a bridle - it cost £5. I loved that bridle and cleaned it every week. It never got used though!!

When I wasn't at the riding school, me and my friends would be building a course of show jumps in our garden. We then used to 'jump' over them on space hopper! Was fantastic fun - we had show days where we competed for homemade rosettes.

I remember Julip model ponies and Dream ponies too. I had Pony magazine delivered. Does anyone remember the Blue Peter pony? I think he/she was called Rags?

Leandy

Visit site
Love this, yes, yes, yes to everything! And sweat rugs were all the string vest type with big holes in (a new modern invention). I once won the main prize in the raffle at the Pony Club awards and disco which was an orangey yellow sweat rug crocheted by the DC's mother!!! She did one every year for the raffle. It was the right length in the back for my 13hand pony but came down to his knees and was somewhat baggy around the chest. I loved it because it was so sophisticated like racehorses had and he wore it whenever he went to a show. I also used to put yellow exercise bandages bandages on for a show with cotton wool underneath poking out all round. No velcro or synthetic boots, only elastic exercise bandages or leather brushing boots with straps and buckles.

exracehorse

Visit site
I didn't have a pony of my own, I had to make do with weekly riding lessons. I had all the gear though, even a bridle - it cost £5. I loved that bridle and cleaned it every week. It never got used though!!

When I wasn't at the riding school, me and my friends would be building a course of show jumps in our garden. We then used to 'jump' over them on space hopper! Was fantastic fun - we had show days where we competed for homemade rosettes.

I remember Julip model ponies and Dream ponies too. I had Pony magazine delivered. Does anyone remember the Blue Peter pony? I think he/she was called Rags?
I think your right. Blue Peter used to have every creature under the sun in the studio. And I’m showing my age because every year B Peter showed you how to hibernate your tortoise. They were 50p for a small one from the pet shop.

monte1

Visit site
Loving this thread, i am 50.5 and was a penniless, pony mad, council estate girl in the 70's, a school friend had two ponies of her own and took me riding with her from aged 8ish , i rode her Shetland pony who bucked like stink, ( he must have only been about 3-4 back then and probably not even backed properly ) we were left at the yard all day long unsupervised and had the best time, I rode anything and everything that someone would let me on, fell off loads, got back on never worried about concussion or anything else, never complained or told my totally non horsey parents in case they wouldn't let me go back to ride again !!!

First pony of our own was an unbroken 2 year old palomino colt, which I think cost my dad about £20, it was a joint Christmas pressie i was age about 11 and my younger sister was 10 - we backed him once he was 3 or so by ourselves from reading books and watching others- still think of him fondly.

we had various other giveaways, charity loans and bargain ponies that no one else wanted between us over the years, hacked miles to to go to a tiny show, crossing dual carriageways and cantering along grass verges jumping drainage ditches, all our tack was very cheap and basic and hand me down clothes and riding hats- bought a saddle at reading horse auctions, by measuring over withers with a wire coat hanger then taking it along and popping into saddle gullets till got one which looked like it might fit !!!

I remember well, hats with chin elastic, canvas turnouts, jute rugs, straight feeds , oats and barley, bought in sacks from local farmer
standing in a dug out hole in the muck heap in winter to warm frozen feet up and cantering bareback or tackless around the field!
happy days- Jill books were my staple read, TV watching Black beauty, White horses, think I had a Sindy doll and her horse with jumps :)

I am still in contact with several friends who I met back then and we often reminisce , i wonder if we hadn't had horses to go to what might have become of us kids, as it opened up a whole other world to us from where we were brought up

it was only when i got much older did i realise just what huge sacrifices my parents made so we could ride let alone have a pony, albeit on a shoestring budget, we were so lucky and I am incredibly grateful even now.

my own daughter, now grown up, had her own pony from a very young age and was definitely horse mad, we did the whole pony club scene ( that i never had the opportunity to do and we both had a blast) she kept it up right through till she was 16 or so, but, gave up - she never had the hunger for it like some of us pony starved desperate kids did back then, perhaps because everything was less of a struggle- who knows !

Ruftysdad

Visit site
My first pony was an ex rag and bone pony. She was brilliant at Gymkhana and we used to go out competing every week in a huge horse box. All the kids used to sit inside the box on the canopy. Would be considered dangerous now. I was 13 when I started competing and never had a parent with me. I ma 74 now, have an oldie and still love horses as much as ever

J&S

Visit site
I am 72 and a granny, my father and his father before him were both "horse and dog" men, my own daughter rode from about 12 years old and has since ridden horses all over the world in her travels. She loves to come out with me when she comes to stay. I am sad though that my grand children are real "townies" and , although I have produced ponies for them to ride, they haven't really got the bug. Maybe this is where it skips a generation!
Will there be opportunities available for their children though? Not like we had back in the 50's/60's/70's as you are all recalling.

onemoretime

Visit site
With apologies - and acknowledgements to - another thread on here running right now, but that one is in a different decade!

It did however inspire me to think about what "signs" there were to indicate those of us who are, shall we say, a little longer in the tooth now than we'd perhaps care to admit!!

Here's my list, just for starters:

Signs of being a horsey kid in the 1960's & 70's:

Your horsey hero's were - among others - Pat Smythe - just loved her books and wished I had kept them; Harvey Smith, David Broome, Lucinda Prior Palmer, Richard Meade, etc etc. and you can still remember the D'Inzeo brothers (think spelling correct!).

You can still remember the Pullein-Thompson sisters and their "Pony Books". Again, sooohh wish I'd kept them!

You can remember Dorian Williams commentating on virtually everything horsey.....

Your riding kit came from Jacatex; I had all their gear and it lasted forever! No wonder the company went bust, their stuff was too good, manufacturers of today take note!

Hickstead was still on the telly in those days.

Black Beauty was serialised, and the music was just awe-inspiring and always brought a lump to your throat! It still would if I were to hear it today........

You fell off? You were plonked back on again. No arguments. Tears were of no avail so you didn't even bother producing them. You just got on with it. No-one was ruled by Elf and Safety back then and we were a hardy bunch! Even Princess Anne at the Montreal Olympics did the rest of her Cross-Country round concussed, apparently, after a fall, and didn't remember much of it!

Eventing was actually called "Cross Country" in those days.

Badminton had the "Roads and Tracks" included BEFORE the Cross-Country event proper!

Saddles were mainly serge-lined and a total nightmare to clean! Short-panelled saddles were the norm, and you didn't have the luxury of knee rolls! Interestingly, short-panelled saddles seem to be enjoying something of a revival now. Spring-tree saddles were not for the masses back then, the only people that had spring-tree saddles were showjumpers and professional riders. There wasn't the care taken about saddle fitting back then, one saddle was made to fit all, and it was fairly routine to see horses with white hairs around their withers/saddle area due to a badly-fitting saddle. Treeless saddles had never even been heard of, and Western saddles were never seen here in the UK!!

Feed wasn't as complex as now, people fed oats!! plus soaked their own linseed from scratch, and hunters were always fed bran mash after a day's hunting.

Rugs were heavy cumbersome things, and were blankets, jute, or for turnout a heavy canvas New Zealand rug, which was a nightmare to put on and take off in a gale!! But they DID do an excellent job! Fly rugs and fly masks were unheard of back then!

Tack was made of leather, always leather, and there wasn't the huge selection of bits available. Back then the common choices were either eggbutt snaffle, pelham, kimblewick, or double bridle. Synthetic tack was way in the future!

Any horse that reared or "bolted" was a kennels-job: there wasn't the effort to understand problem horses that there is nowadays.

The year's treat was being allowed to stay up to watch Horse of the Year Show!! - and you had to be a well-behaved child to achieve it!!

No doubt I shall think of more!!

Anyone else??

ah love it, I so remember all of this being born in the early 50's. those were golden days, we had real horse men and women around in those days and they taught us well.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Omg Baywonder, youve just reminded me of something. My grandparents farm house had a red brick wall at the front with an end column with a concrete ball on top. I used to tie baling string around the column, use a bit more baling string over the wall to make stirrups and pretend I was riding around Badminton!

honetpot

Visit site
I came from a working class family with no horse background, so from the age of 12 would scounge rides on a variety of unsuitable ponies, so I got dumped a lot.
I think biggest memory in trying to be cool in Levi denims with flare cut ins, hair sticking out of the hat. My prized new hat, cork hat,tight enough so it would not fall off.

How did we or the ponies survive, we rode everywhere without a care.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My goodness, this thread brings back some memories. I am 71 and was horse mad from as far back as I can remember. My gran's father worked with horses, she told us he once took the Stratford Mail Coach (8 horse team) through when the regular driver was ill. He died long before I was born but we were brought up on stories about him.

No money for ponies in our family so had to make do with the local riding school and went to work there when I left school. Did 4 years hard labour then changed to office work to earn enough for horses of my own. Bought my first in 1969 and got him the most expensive NZ rug available at the time. The Emston NZ, no surcingle, just leg straps. Cost over £20 when most NZs were the old green canvas ones at about £8. Anyone remember them?

Lost my last pony in 2017 so now horseless. I go into the local saddlers and it is like a different world to what I was used to. I feel quite alien there:oops:

I still have my pony books, in particular those by Josephine Pullein Thompson and re read them regularly. Very well written and some useful advice too.

This thread has made my day:)

Baywonder

Visit site
Running round the lawn with jumps from garden canes riding the mop
I rode your mop’s half brother the broom around my garden jumps 😀.

I used to borrow our neighbours dog and go over the jumps with her. I used to make them higher and longer and we both loved it! If the dog wasn't available, I always reverted to the mop or broom! :D

Baywonder

Visit site
Omg Baywonder, youve just reminded me of something. My grandparents farm house had a red brick wall at the front with an end column with a concrete ball on top. I used to tie baling string around the column, use a bit more baling string over the wall to make stirrups and pretend I was riding around Badminton!

I used to tie rope to the column and also make stirrups out of it too!

eggs

Visit site
Gosh I'm 57 and remember just about everything mentioned. I was finally allowed to start riding lessons when I was 7 and had huge bat wing jods and jod boots that had a long leather strap that wrapped around your ankle.

I started grooming for a lady who had show hunters when I was 12 and each horse had a bottle of blue colic drench outside their stable. As far as we were concerned it would cure colic but fortunately I never had to try it out.

Our ponies must have been pretty fit as we would think nothing of going out on 6 hour hacks which involved cantering on everything that wasn't a road.

I used to make my own velvet dragon's teeth browbands because I didn't like the plastic one that our pony came with.

All the books mentioned plus The Silver Brumby series and My Friend Flicka

spacefaer

Visit site
I had a velvet browband for special occasions made in the Pony Club colours. String girth - brown one on my chestnut pony for every day, and a white one for competitions. We used to take the numnahs off for competitions too - as they were only for keeping the saddles clean. When coloured jodphurs came in, my mother wouldn't let me have any as she said they were "common" (??) and I remember getting one of the first nylon quilted rugs - a Polywarm - it was wonderful - so light!
There were definitely equine dentists - I remember a Mr Glass coming out to my father's mare, and he wore a white coat, like a surgical gown.
No back protectors - I didn't get a crash hat until the 80s and most people didn't have a silk for them
Nickel stirrup irons and bits - they broke alarmingly often
My father had a pair of plaited leather reins that I coveted as I only had plain reins, which were tricky in the wet. I got my first parir of orange rubber reins in the early 80s and thought they were amazing