Sig's Excellent European Adventure

Ratface

Visit site
Trouper had the good sense to suggest I start a new thread now that my gelding, Sibelius MB (Sig), and I are here in the UK. For the uninitiated, please check out my first thread, below:

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...-lakenheath-from-the-us-with-my-horse.799686/

Sig arrived Monday after his trip from Kentucky. Thus far he has settled very well and is handling the transition like a true professional! He has been a true gentleman around the yard and the staff all appreciate his excellent ground manners and quiet nature. He's getting a little more turnout each day as we're slowly working him back to his normal 24/7 grass routine. Since he was off grass for the better part of a week due to delays in the journey, I don't want to take any chances.

I did hop on him for the first time in nearly two months on Wednesday, and he was an absolute gem as usual! ❤ He was looking so settled (and bored...) that I decided to give it a shot. When I returned carrying all his tack, he actually whinnied to me. ?? The boy loves his work, and loves the attention even more. Right now we're just walking around due to his feet needing done and him being off work for so long. I'll build him back up slowly. But he's happy to be back to it and feels good.

My first thought as soon as I swung up: WORTH IT! Even though his trip cost more than originally budgeted, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I have my familiar, fun, sweet partner with me and I am so excited to make new memories here!

Get you a seven year old who hasn't been ridden in two months who walks around on the buckle in a new place without any prep beforehand. ❤❤?

Had a spa day...no longer looks feral:
View attachment 76680View attachment 76681

First ride in the UK!
View attachment 76682

Already wants to be the baby's fun American cousin:
View attachment 76683View attachment 76684

Whoa, Thoroughbred! ?
You've got a star there, haven't you? Lovely looking horse.
But you already knew that.
View attachment 76685

Nicnac

Visit site
Wonderful update - spring brings new life to all! Fingers crossed all continues in such a positive way - you are both looking great.

Ratface

Visit site
Phew, SibeliusMB: I've just read the full thread from beginning to end. I'm exhausted. I just wanted to congratulate you on surviving the trauma/drama/exhastion/relief/joy.
I'm so happy that you and SibeliusMB are back out together and have the opportunity to enjoy an English springtime.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Phew, SibeliusMB: I've just read the full thread from beginning to end. I'm exhausted. I just wanted to congratulate you on surviving the trauma/drama/exhastion/relief/joy.
I'm so happy that you and SibeliusMB are back out together and have the opportunity to enjoy an English springtime.
I wish I could go back to that original post and add a warning to it, LOL. You're a trooper for reading all that and sorry for the rollercoaster. Thank you all for the supportive messages! It's such a boost to come here and see all the well wishes. Thank you all! :)

SibeliusMB

Visit site
A little Sig update: *touch wood* things have been going well for both of us! His weight is looking so much better, he's putting muscle and topline on nicely. We had our first jump school in about six months - he was very keen, but that's to be expected. We're going to stick to grid schools for the next few weeks to build up strength and get him back in his relaxed jumping rhythm before we bother with courses. Hoping to go on a beach ride soon, and compete a little this summer. Hacking has been brilliant, and we're lucky to have made some great friends at the yard.

I'm off to Badminton next week for a long holiday. Some photos of Mr. Shine :cool:

sig1.JPG

Attachments

• 278567770_10100186690219010_6922464464550716500_n.jpg
    278567770_10100186690219010_6922464464550716500_n.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 278700917_10100186690428590_4697368351224931070_n.jpg
    278700917_10100186690428590_4697368351224931070_n.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 278869607_10100186690448550_8928860724511335662_n.jpg
    278869607_10100186690448550_8928860724511335662_n.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220426_115100.jpg
    20220426_115100.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220424_150733.jpg
    20220424_150733.jpg
    866.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Tarragon

Visit site
I grew up in East Anglia in the 1970's and 1980's, near Bury St Edmunds, and remember an American air base then (would it have been Lakenheath?) I was in awe of the cars they imported over!

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Last edited:

SibeliusMB

Visit site
I grew up in East Anglia in the 1970's and 1980's, near Bury St Edmunds, and remember an American air base then (would it have been Lakenheath?) I was in awe of the cars they imported over!
Yep that would be us at Lakenheath. I swear I have seen more American muscle cars over here around Lakenheath and Mildenhall than I have in any area I've lived in the US! Ever! o_O I don't know what it is - I feel like every time I turn around someone is driving a Mustang (or occasionally a Camaro or a Charger). I don't know if they're buying them over here with the on-base car dealership (who probably is killing them on interest rates...) or the young enlisted run out and buy them knowing they're about to get that overseas pay, but damn....they're like locusts. And obnoxious to listen to. :p

I sold by Chevy 2500HD diesel truck (3500lbs, 19-feet long, 7 feet tall) before I came over, partly because I thought it would be hugely impractical (it would be), and partly to fund Sig's trip. I don't regret selling it at all, but I do miss it...someone on/around base brought their Dodge 3500 dually pickup truck (even bigger than mine, dual-axel), and I honestly don't know where the heck they manage with that monster! I admit to staring at it though and being jealous, lol. I'm waiting to see if I'll be sticking around the UK or Europe in my next assignment - if so, I'll be tempted to sell my trailer back home and buy a 7.5t lorry. I'd just hate to part with that trailer though until I know I'll be another 2-3 years before I get back to the US.

Trouper

Visit site
A lovely read (if you skip the bad bits we know about!). So glad you are enjoying the English countryside when it looks at its best - as does Sig. He looks amazing.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Thanks for the update on Sig and the lovely photos, he's looking on super form. I hope you have a great summer together.

Just a thought, but are there any Riding Clubs close to the yard where you keep Sig? Certainly the RC's I've been in have had varied programmes of training and low key competitions, so you can pick and choose, and have plenty of outings if you want. ??

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Hi everyone!

Sig and I are doing very well. We're back to weekly jump schools, alternating between grid days and course days, though we're not back to jumping full courses yet. He is jumping fantastic and really feeling confident and happy. I switched him from a copper oval mouth beval bit for jumping to a super-flexible Winderen gel bit, and he seems very happy in that. Not that he was unhappy in the oval mouth, his flat bridle was the same mouthpiece in a normal loose ring and he went beautifully in both. I just wanted to try the soft, flexible gel bits as he has such a soft mouth. I love how he carries me to the fence a little bit more, he's still rideable but doesn't get as backed off which can mess with our rhythm/distances. We're starting to play over 1m/1.05m and he's feeling super. We'll probably do a couple of unaffiliated competitions locally this summer/autumn at the .90/.95m, maybe have a play at 1m over winter. Schooling wise, I'm looking forward to building more confidence with him and having a play over 1.10m when the time comes. We never really got to jump anything over 3' at home, so I'm really just now getting to explore his scope and athleticism. He loves his job and is such a joy to jump! :)

I have jumped with three different people here so far in the UK and have yet to find a trainer/coach that I feel good with and brings the best out in Sig. Thus far, it's a lot of jump, jump, jump, which just winds him up to the point of being unrideable - an absolute fire breathing dragon. We need shorter, more focused jump schools to keep him jumping soft and quiet. So for now, my fellow US expat yard mate and I are helping each other and we do jump schools together. As soon as we started riding together, with no pressure and no agenda, Sig entire demeanor changed and my lopey, soft jumper came back. We're still hoping to find another coach who can come in monthly and help and we have someone in mind, just need to make arrangements.

Sig's flat work has been on point as well, we're starting to come up and shorten the outline a little more and focus more on lateral work after spending the last few months on longer/lower to help rebuild his topline. He's got a half pass now in both directions at the walk and trot. :cool: The dressage trainer here is fantastic and was impressed with him. She really seemed to like him and I had a lovely time in our first lesson. Looking forward to working with her more and continuing to develop Sig on the dressage side. We hack out weekly with our yard buddies and he's foot perfect for that too.

He's living out 24/7 with his little harem of mares. They moved fields last week to the one field with grass still on it, so they have been in heaven the last few days. His feeding and management program is still going well for him. I've been extremely busy with work, so I'm trying to pull myself out of a bit of an emotional funk/bout of depression and the last week or so is going better. Getting back in the gym and looking to lose weight/get back in great shape so I can enjoy Sig to his fullest and get out to explore more of the UK. :)

Been down to London a few times for West End stuff (and again this coming weekend for Longines), and spend a long weekend in Normandy at the end of May, but other than that haven't had the chance to travel much. When I do get time off, the only thing I want to do is chill out and hang with Sig! I need 36-hour days, or possibly an intern. ;)

Here are a boatload of photos and vids of the professional goofball. He's currently thriving and I'm absolutely loving everything about him. Having him here has been such a total joy despite the hard times early on!received_496766655601624.jpegreceived_824855688505157.jpegScreenshot_20220813-224824_Instagram.jpg20220731_181814small.jpg20220805_203311small.jpg20220611_151933small.jpg20220722_202657small.jpg
20220609_201047small.jpg20220728_205716small.jpg
20220610_204702small.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgAg5fSq3D6/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:

Trouper

Visit site
Whenever I see you have posted I get a bit of a "heart in mouth" moment wondering if something has happened to Sig, so I was so pleased to read your update!! As for the photos - he looks a really happy horse and I love the face pulling!!!

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Thank you all!! ? ❤️ I feel so lucky having him in my life, he is such a blessing (and entertaining, he loves making faces ?)! @Trouper so sorry for the scare, I know the feeling because for awhile it seemed like as soon as I started feeling hopeful, something bad would happen. I hope we'll have more positive updates in the future.

@Errin Paddywack thank you! I didn't even post the good ones...kid has a wood allergy. ?

received_733123244434050.jpegreceived_779501753408613.jpeg