Sig's Excellent European Adventure

SibeliusMB

Visit site
What a lovely boy. I'll bet you're glad you didn't take that option now ?
SO GLAD!! :) He's just home to me, and having him here has made me so happy. Also...I cannot imagine trying to horse shop right now with the market the way it is - being new to the country, not knowing anyone, prices through the roof....this definitely worked out the way it should. And knowing that Sig seems very happy lets me know I made the right decision for us both. :)

Glad that you made the decision to bring your beautiful horse over - looks like it is all falling into place :)
How are you finding the contrast between an American barn livery and what you have now? I think that the facilities look wonderful.
Thank you! Thus far I'm not finding it too different, but I'm on full livery (as I was in the States). So for us, not much has changed, which has helped us both settle into the routine better. The mix of DIY/part/full livery is pretty unique to my experience in the US, though there are farms that have the same set up in the US too, I've just never boarded at them. I've also seen more likelihood around here for livery yards to turn out individually as well - I'm hoping Sig gets to go out with others soon, because he's well socialized and very civil, and I just feel very strongly like I owe him the opportunity to be a horse. Back home it was default to go out with others (a lot of care went into matching pairs/groups up for compatibility) unless specific reasons required individual turn out. At least at the yards I've inquired to, it's the opposite approach. He's out on grass adjacent to other horses, but still separated by a fenceline. I understand not wanting the animals to get hurt, but...horses gonna horse. ;)

As we go on I'm sure I'll find more similarities and differences, but I'm really only working off a week or so of actually experience since he arrived. I think the comparisons between horse worlds is half the fun of this adventure! :)

SibeliusMB

Visit site
We keep doing things, he keeps impressing me. ?

Had another light dressage school in the indoor today, paying close attention to how he felt after yesterday (he felt great). We then went for a very short hack to see how he'd handle being on the road. He's a phenomenal hacker, but we've never hacked on roads/in traffic before.

Perfect. Paid no mind to the two cars (whose drivers thankfully were very polite) and was very happy in exploration mode. Saw some cows, wants to be friends. ?❤ IMG_20210804_211220_314.jpg

Very chuffed with himself
IMG_20210804_211220_339.jpg

Just because I knew everyone would appreciate the Osprey flyby?
IMG_20210804_211220_350.jpg

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Wow, sounds like you're both off to a flying start!
I see what you did there! ?

Sig and I had our first proper hack this evening, with high vis and everything. ? Was perfect. ❤ Happily marched along on a loose rein, didn't mind the passing cars or the dual carriageway noise some 50m away. A couple of the other liveries have offered to hack with us in the future to show where all the routes are (and the forest, which is 10 minutes away allegedly).

He's also back on 24/7 turnout and doing well. Met a friend, impersonated a donkey. ??

IMG_20210806_224226_742.jpgIMG_20210806_224226_733.jpgIMG_20210806_224226_738.jpgIMG_20210805_195253_239.jpgIMG_20210805_195253_226.jpg

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Thought I'd post another update. Sig's been an absolute star and winning everyone over with how chill and sweet he is. He's back into full work and while we're still slowly increasing his fitness level, he's now back to jumping as of this week as well.

This was from last night's lesson, our first jump school since the end of May! He was foot perfect. Everything felt good even if my sense of feel and eye we somewhat off, that will come back soon. He wasn't sharp, maybe slightly more forward than usual, but only slightly. He didn't look at the fill and felt like he's been going around courses this whole time. ? We kept the jumps low, but as our fitness improves I'm looking forward to getting back to the 1m we had been doing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last weekend we also attended our first "Poles and Pimms" with the yard family. The ladies set up some very fun pole combos in the indoor and we all spent the afternoon taking turns in groups and had pimms and cakes together afterward. Sig was perfect here too. I apologize for my crap riding but I'm proud of how he's looking. ❤

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The last two weeks have been sad and stressful for me and my team at work with everything going on for the evacuation efforts. Having Sig here and lovely new friends at the yard made an otherwise super sad weekend a positive one. Very grateful to Sig and these wonderful people! ??

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Our newest blog for The Chronicle of the Horse is up!

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/air-horse-one-an-american-thoroughbred-in-england

Sig has been such a rockstar. I parted company on Monday after I missed huge to a big oxer - came off over the jump and got banged up, but no serious injuries. Completely my fault and Sig knew better by putting in an additional step. Got back on and he jumped around like a star, and we finished the lesson strong. Trainer seems very chuffed with Sig and thinks he has talent for some big jumps...not sure I do though. ?? I think 1.10-1.15m might be my max, but we'll see what happens and enjoy the journey. ❤

Dressage lesson on Saturday. ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Our newest blog for The Chronicle of the Horse is up!

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/air-horse-one-an-american-thoroughbred-in-england

Sig has been such a rockstar. I parted company on Monday after I missed huge to a big oxer - came off over the jump and got banged up, but no serious injuries. Completely my fault and Sig knew better by putting in an additional step. Got back on and he jumped around like a star, and we finished the lesson strong. Trainer seems very chuffed with Sig and thinks he has talent for some big jumps...not sure I do though. ?? I think 1.10-1.15m might be my max, but we'll see what happens and enjoy the journey. ❤

Dressage lesson on Saturday. ?
What a great blog update, am so pleased for you that you've been able to enjoy him in decent weather and that (excluding fall) you 2 are going well ??

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Need some positive vibes please...Sig was admitted to the hospital this evening for a bad colic. Hoping he turns a corner overnight to avoid surgery.

I don't care to elaborate more because I'm sitting at home alone bawling my eyes out. I"ve lost two heart horses to colic (been through three surgeries) already in this lifetime.