Sig's Excellent European Adventure

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I wish I could believe that no news was good news in a case like this ? Thinking of you whatever the situation is, Sibelius.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Hi all, sorry for the delay I had trouble accessing the forums last night. Sig improved over Monday night and Tuesday morning. He should be coming home tomorrow morning, fingers crossed.

Thank you all for your kind words and support!! Reading the replies this morning made me feel so much better and I really appreciate all of you taking the time! ?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I hope it’s plain sailing from here Sibelius. I’ve just started following you on Instagram too and I’ve loved to watch his journey. Sending you all our best wishes and healing vibes.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hi all, sorry for the delay I had trouble accessing the forums last night. Sig improved over Monday night and Tuesday morning. He should be coming home tomorrow morning, fingers crossed.

Thank you all for your kind words and support!! Reading the replies this morning made me feel so much better and I really appreciate all of you taking the time! ?

Phew!

Pippity

Visit site

That is SUCH a relief! I'm so happy for you and Sig!

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Sig had another colic last night. Mild enough to treat at home, but still required the vet (he's fine right now). They have no answers and no real suggestions. Yard keeps wanting to bring him in off grass if conditions aren't ideal and I don't think that's the answer for a horse who has lived out most of his life.

Insurance dropped his colic coverage before we moved over. I confirmed with them that he has absolutely no surgical coverage and no mortality for colic related issues....after taking time to think about it, I've decided that if he has another bad colic that requires surgery, I'll decline it. I won't put him through that after what it did to my last horse. I also cannot handle that again.

We're trying some mineral supplement with pre/probiotic because at this point...why not. Apple cider vinegar too. He's already on wet hay, daily grass turnout and walker to make up for winter turnout schedule and being in at night. We're throwing everything at this and I can only hope it sorts out.

I lost my mare to colic 14 years ago. Owned her for 10 years (and she battled through two colic surgeries) , but only had her with me for 5 years. I lost Soon just before the 5 year mark to colic surgery complications. Sig and I are coming up on 4 years shortly and I can't help but feel like the universe hates me and intends to take him too. ?

On top of all this, I've had to keep working through a concussion from the fall I had at the end of September. Thanks to post concussion syndrome I may have to go to Germany for evaluation by the US medical team there, and leaving Sig anytime soon just causes me more stress.

Sorry for the pity party but that's just where I'm at right now. Just need to vent. ?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Oh that's so rough. So sorry to hear you and Sig are going through this. I had a TB when I was younger that had a colic or two like clockwork this time of year, a good Gut supplement did help him though, and just being lucky enough to catch it ASAP. It's so terribly stressful.

I'm not too far from the Army hospital here in Germany (if it's the one you're referring to) if you end up there. If you need anything at all, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
Sig had another colic last night. Mild enough to treat at home, but still required the vet (he's fine right now). They have no answers and no real suggestions. Yard keeps wanting to bring him in off grass if conditions aren't ideal and I don't think that's the answer for a horse who has lived out most of his life.

I would hate you to lose your horse so can I suggest you very seriously follow your yard's advice and get him off grass as much as possible for the next month. Your yard owner may well know their own grass. . I also know my grass and I have one field I won't put the horses in during Oct. No idea why but I know someone would colic on it, possibly more than one horse.

I cannot give you any scientific reason. The only reason appears to be it is October. Things may be different in the US but this is England.

If I lose horses to colic it is October and the cause is grass. I came very close last year. Only reason he lived was that the vet was a bit late getting here. Cause was grass and only an hour on it. Another of my horses had slight colic that day. Only possible cause grass.
That horse is now off grass for Oct and much of Nov. If he were to go back on I have little doubt he would colic and that could be his death knell.

I have been saying and thinking this for the past 10 years. It was 2012 when one of my horses ended up in horse hospital in mid Oct with, guess what, colic.
He survived without an op. The strangest thing happened when he came home. He had been home exactly a year and the vet hospital rang to see if he was OK. I have no idea why they did as they had forgotten about us till then. He was fine I assured them. A week later you can guess what happened. Still October.

Oct. for me is danger month. My vets who are horse vets also notice a lot of colic then. In fact last year when she came out it was like "not another colic, how many more are we going to get"

I'm sorry if this sounds far fetched, I have no idea why the grass is a problem now, sugar, change of season, something on the grass (fungus type something) just no idea but I know there is a problem for some grass and horses on it.

I hope your lad is OK.