Silkifying/conditioning manes&tails

Surbie

Visit site
What do you use for topical conditioning after shampooing? Not that I plan to wash now, but I'm thinking ahead to warmer days!

Plus Leo Walker's post has got me all envious about tails.

Arch has horribly straw-like mane and tail hair, which breaks easily. He has sweetitch so I would love to have it looking nice for as long as it exists... I tried Canter mane&tail last year probably overdid it and my reins were slippy for ages. Horse took full advantage of that!

I've been feeding micronised linseed and a powdered balancer for the 6 months I've had him and his feathers are in lovely nick. Minimal mallenders this year too compared to the other 2 winters I've known him through.

chaps89

Visit site
I use the Wahl de-tangler, it doesn't leave the greasey slippery feel of Canter and is the only thing I've found that has any affect on her mane/tail (She has generally poor skin and her tail in particular knots easily and never looks that smooth or silky)

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Love the picture ESW.

I really want to try something non silicone based... I have the "manely long hair" stuff though (shampoo, condition and detangler) and rate that but don't use it often enough to see if it helps over time. It makes for a nice tail for a good while after use though. But it does have silicone in it, although I think it is marketed as being "special" silicone? It's also expensive but you only use small amounts.

But, yes, I do want to find something non silicone based. All the oil type things I've tried so far just seem to make her tail more dry though! I hogged her because her mane was so bad, wirey and dry and impossible to brush.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Argan oil! You can get it from the pound shop. I then use coat shine over the top which means it stays silky and dirt doesnt tend to stick but the tail hair doesnt get damaged either.

Or I can send you a whole wheelbarrow full of tail hair if you want? :p

Surbie

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions - and for the offer of a tail wig LW! :)

I've tried the Biteback Flick & Swish but also noticed that that is silicone based too. Plus he then just smells of oil of cloves, which reminds me of toothache.

Will give a couple of the oil ones a go - thanks again!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
As I have only ever done ours for showing/hunting I've never worried too much about the silicone, more that I don't want to pull hair out. I've never really observed any breakage with the CM as it makes brushing so easy. - That's with coarse wirey hair though.
Now he's just neglected!

Surbie

Visit site
As well as wishing his tail hair was less brittle or clumpy, I might be* feeling a bit insecure from being on a yard with pristine horses. I gave him his weekly 'proper' groom yesterday and had loads of comments on how good he looked.

Out unrugged last night and today I dragged in a happy, hairy mudball. With some hedge stuck in the tail.

*am

catkin

Visit site
If the base of the mane and tail are getting a bit scurfy this time of the year I do hot cloth the roots. Afterwards I use a little Megatek stuff to untangle (with fingers not brush or comb).

Think about your feed also to help him grow the best hair he can.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Keeping manes healthy is an on going battle with my Connies thin brittle mane... I use two products that have made a big difference, Palmers coconut oil moisture gro in a tub makes manes and tails really soft, I rub it into the roots too, and the hair is stronger and healthier. It also smells amazing, like a pina colada! For detangling and making silky, I use Eqyss survivor detangler. It’s expensive but works like a charm, and you only need a small blob so my small bottle used on two ponies has lasted months. Definitely the best detangler I’ve used and is oil and silicone free.

cbmcts

Visit site
I'm cheap :) I used to use pig oil in winter, lots of it and leave, then comb. In fairness bth of mine could afford to lose a fair bit so never worried about hair coming out... In summer, it was pig oil and sulphur for the sweetitch one, he'd still rub a bit not not so badly that he'd damage the skin.

Surbie

Visit site
I have litres and litres of pig oil - his feathers are looking amazing for it. He's fully rugged in summer so I might try that too without worrying about him burning.

Think about your feed also to help him grow the best hair he can.

Any suggestions? He's on micronised linseed, forageplus balancer and a bit of speedibeet to carry it. He gets hay and grass otherwise. I'm trying to keep it simple (though my next post might not sound like it!) In all other ways he is looking amazing - he is unbelievably glossy, lively, and all my pro helpers say he has lost most of his fat.

catkin

Visit site
Your feed sounds about right, a good mineral balancer and linseed. If you fancy experimenting then perhaps drop the sugarbeet and replace it with a handful of soaked grassnuts, as some horses do better without sugarbeet.

Though if he's doing well then sometimes things are best left - I made the suggestion about feed as didn't know what you were feeding and it can sometimes help to review and simplify things, apologies.

Surbie

Visit site
Your feed sounds about right, a good mineral balancer and linseed. If you fancy experimenting then perhaps drop the sugarbeet and replace it with a handful of soaked grassnuts, as some horses do better without sugarbeet.

Though if he's doing well then sometimes things are best left - I made the suggestion about feed as didn't know what you were feeding and it can sometimes help to review and simplify things, apologies.

Thanks, I might try grass nuts - when the speedibeet is done. I bought a 20kg sack in June last year and I have about a third left... :D

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I also love the Cowboy Magic detangler and shine. It really leaves manes and tails silky and smells really nice.

I use this it's a liquid you put into your hand and rub in the mane and tail, I find the silicone based sprays cause it to break both my horses are arabs so they have very long fine silky hair that breaks and comes out very easily, but the cowboy magic seems to be the best I have used.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I always condition after I wash and then comb through with a wide toothed comb I then rinse dry by swirling the tail round and round and dry with a towel then I apply cowboy magic and comb through again gently .
I top up the cowboy magic every few days until the tail is washed again ..

pansymouse

Visit site
I make my own mane and tail spray out of 1 part pig oil, one part pound shop hair conditioner (I try to get unscented) and one part water - it works as well as any expensive bought one. I also pig oil her tail once it's nicely brushed out to stop vegetation and poo getting stuck in it.

Shoei

Visit site
My gelding mane and tail are awful. Horrid, dry and brittle.

I have been using Aussie Miracle Oil on it and it really makes a difference.

Fiona

Visit site
I always condition after I wash and then comb through with a wide toothed comb I then rinse dry by swirling the tail round and round and dry with a towel then I apply cowboy magic and comb through again gently .
I top up the cowboy magic every few days until the tail is washed again ..

I've just ordered some from Amazon for my two grey natives... Hope it lives up to the hype :)

Fiona