Silly question about grumpy mare

tubby1

Visit site
Ok my lovely willing good natured girl has turned into a nappy grump. Over the last week. The only difference in her routine is she has been clipped and the 2 horses we share a block with are now in 24/7. They were out 24/7 previously. She has become a bit spooky, she is normally really chilled. When she is ridden she is nappy, argumentative and trying to shoot off if we end up having discussions !! Sorry if its a silly question but can the clipping or the change in stable arrangement cause this ?

Tern

Visit site
Depending on how much is clipped then yes, it may make her fresher/bit more sensitive try an exercise sheet say if she has a hunter clip. She could be upset by the two horses however i personally doubt that is the cause! :)

tubby1

Visit site
Nope everything is the same. She has had a full clip because she was sweating ridiculously. She is only fed hay & top spec cool balancer and top chop lite .

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I agree with tern - my mare had full clip and is definitely fresher and I ride her in exercise sheet to keep her back warmer it does help....also I think my mare still hasn't fully stopped coming into season as she was friendly to my gelding last week and she usually hates him so maybe that too?

Moodymare88

Visit site
My mare has turned into even more of a nightmare recently! She usually is quite grumpy, but the past few days she has gotten even worse! I'm not sure if it is the weather, as it has been quite random or the fact she is not doing much work as she is going through rehab due to tweaking a check ligament, and she wants to be doing more! She has been like this before going through rehab and worse when she was coming into season!

Does your mare pick up on your moods? Mine is terrible, if im in a bad mood i just try to avoid riding her, unless it's for a hack as we just end up having an argument! A few other horses, including geldings have changed in behaviour as well recently.