Silly question time - thinning scissors

Pinkatc

Visit site
So, I need to pull and thin my horses manes and I bought some thinning scissors. Before I hack their manes to pieces, what is the best way to use them? I've used a solo comb before with *ahem* mixed results so I was hoping for a better finish this time!

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Always use thinning scissors vertically. Cut only a small amount of the hairs in its grip - which it's designed to do anyway. Scissor up on the mane and then comb through as you go along. Always works best for me. Best to use after exercise - hairs come out more easily , less stress for the horse. I always wash the mane first as well, as it then makes it less tangled and grimy. but don't do it wet.

Bernster

Visit site
I have used the solo comb and it looked ok - did you backcomb first and only cut from the underneath side? I also didn't cut too high up.

I also got thinning scissors to see if that was quicker/better but if used on their own they didn't give a great finish.

What I've ended up doing (and which some people may cringe at!) is to chop the length off with straight scissors - to a bit longer than I'd want the finished look to be - then kind of 'feather' it using the thinning or straight scissors at a slight angle, to get a softer line.

Looks hideous when I first do it and he does a Forrest Gump impression but then after a bit of thinning/mussing it up along the bottom, it looks ok. A bit like the show jumpers straight cut main but slightly more natural :)

kirstykate

Visit site
I cut all my manes, the way the hair dressers cuts a fringe so its not just straight across, cut up into the mane. I do pull to thin though, easier to plait:):)

Pinkatc

Visit site
Thanks for the advice! Bernster, I did backcomb with the solo comb but I didn't get the thinning I was expecting, just the shortening effect. I've been using scissors but wanted a more natural effect - think I'll try the mix of scissors. I have a TB with the bushiest mane ever, it needs taming!

mainpower

Visit site
I thin manes by brushing over to the other side of the neck and combing through with a tail rake until its at the required thickness. Then brush back over to the correct side and shorten with a solo comb.