simplicity

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Following on from the "ladies of a certain age" thread...how do we get it back? The simplicity and carefree feeling I mean. Or maybe we can't?

I keep my horses in a fairly simple lifestyle anyway, but does anyone have any tips or any advice on how to keep it fun? I know its the end of a long winter but I feel its more than that.

I love horses, I love riding and I love the bond you achieve from being a horse owner. But I find I'm not enjoying modern horse keeping. I'm sick of the mud in the tiny overcrowded fields and the fighting at the gate. I'm sick of crazy horses from stabling (I'm not against stabling as long as it doesn't send the horse crazy). Riding isn't relaxing any more, what with cyclists whizzing past and being chased by dogs and hikers everywhere plus road traffic dangers. Other horse riders are often inconsiderate.

Maybe I should just give up? I don't want to. I want to feel that my horses are a pleasure not a chore, but I'm wondering if perhaps that isn't possible.

L&M

Visit site
I know what you mean - the horse world has become so complicated, stifled by health and safety, and just too many numpties owning horses....

I enjoy my horses best by just doing what I want, when I want, and not giving a fig what other people think. I am very lucky as have my lads at home so do not have the every day irritations of livery yard. Also we have off road hacking off our farm which is a god send.

Could you change yards as it seems your problems possibly stem from there?

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
I also know what you mean. The simplicity of owning a horse seems to have gone out the window, now our horses must be stabled all the time, rugged up to their eyeballs, turned out seperately, horses must be fed expensive feeds, riders must be lit up like lighthouses in high viz clothing etc etc!
My advice would be to find a small friendly yard, perhaps on the basic side where the horses live naturally as a herd. As for riding, choose less busy times of day to ride out. Don't forget that summer is coming and the mud will soon be gone! :)

Flame_

Visit site
​
I love horses, I love riding and I love the bond you achieve from being a horse owner. But I find I'm not enjoying modern horse keeping. I'm sick of the mud in the tiny overcrowded fields and the fighting at the gate. Move yards to somewhere with individual or pair turnout paddocks. I'm sick of crazy horses from stabling (I'm not against stabling as long as it doesn't send the horse crazy). Move yards to somewhere with an understanding approach to managing horse turnout in winter.Riding isn't relaxing any more, what with cyclists whizzing past and being chased by dogs and hikers everywhere plus road traffic dangers. Yeah, ITA with this one but but it can be helped by keeping horse in a quiet area and or choosing hacking times carefully.Other horse riders are often inconsiderate. Are they? I've never noticed this one but I suppose the answer is to just concentrate on yourself and take no notice of others - its working for them/us!

Maybe I should just give up? I don't want to. I want to feel that my horses are a pleasure not a chore, but I'm wondering if perhaps that isn't possible.
- Do you have the right horse? The only times I've ever felt horses are a chore not a pleasure is when I've had one that for some reason or other was a PITA over doing something I wanted to do with it. If your horse doesn't do what you want, get another horse. Otherwise there's no rule that says you have to stick at it if you aren't having fun, if you want to chuck it all in there are a lot of alternative things in the world to take up your time and money instead.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I think you're all right about livery yards. I do try to ignore peoples opinions but it's not really possible to ignore the opinion of the yard owner!

I've been thinking about the individual/pairs turnout thing. I've always disliked it for not being as natural and causing problems with separation anxiety if one goes out for a ride. But I'm planning on moving to a yard where my horses can go out together, just them, and I'm thinking now that it will work out better.

I'm going to change when I ride too. I never really thought about it much but you're right there must be quieter times. I imagine this might make a real difference.

I read Sidneys thread recently about giving up and I really felt that I could relate to that, but then I have a good day at the yard and I realize how much I love my horses. My horses are nice people but I do wish they'd be a little "easier" sometimes. I wonder if they pick up on my stressed out mood and that makes things worse.

I think I'd probably like full livery at the moment actually. It would give me a break from what feels like an endless round of mucking out, cleaning stuff and dealing with wound up horses. I know there aren't any good full livery yards near enough though. Maybe I'll give it the summer and see how I feel as next winter draws in :/

Fides

Visit site
Do you have more than one horse? I have moved to my own little yard - 5 acres and 3 stables. Works out cheaper than keeping 2 on livery and I get all the turnout I need. A snip at £200 a month

littleshetland

Visit site
Following on from the "ladies of a certain age" thread...how do we get it back? The simplicity and carefree feeling I mean. Or maybe we can't?

I keep my horses in a fairly simple lifestyle anyway, but does anyone have any tips or any advice on how to keep it fun? I know its the end of a long winter but I feel its more than that.

I love horses, I love riding and I love the bond you achieve from being a horse owner. But I find I'm not enjoying modern horse keeping. I'm sick of the mud in the tiny overcrowded fields and the fighting at the gate. I'm sick of crazy horses from stabling (I'm not against stabling as long as it doesn't send the horse crazy). Riding isn't relaxing any more, what with cyclists whizzing past and being chased by dogs and hikers everywhere plus road traffic dangers. Other horse riders are often inconsiderate.

Oh god, I know what you mean! I must admit,I don't enjoy the modern world very much with all its paranoia and health and safety issues. I'm sticking my head above the parapet here, but am I the only person who finds the sight of a small child on a lead rein pony, with full body armour , bloody great crash hat on and flapping parent panicking incase the pony should trot, utterly depressing?

happyclappy

Visit site
only this morning i was wishing for an easier animal life or returned youth. i am lucky enough to own my own land so keep them my way, with nobody to answer to, i just want warm weather. being with my horses makes it all worthwhile (at the time)

also wish for more simplicity - less choice - when it comes to products

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I agree about the small children. I kind of think that those who cant cope with falling off shouldn't ride! It's unrealistic to think you can ride for years whilst learning and never fall off. Unless you're rich and can afford very sensible and well trained horses and only ever ride those. I saw those children who gave up after their first fall from an 'average' pony to be a kind of natural selection for creating decent riders.

I'd love to have my own land but I do think I'd be lonely. I can't find anything anyway. It's something I'd like to try at some point though.

I probably sound ancient but I'm actually not that old at all! I just hate everything feeling like a battle the whole time. If I can engineer a situation where my horses go back to their natural laid back selves, I'm sure I'd be much happier.

I remember what it was like as a child and its nothing like now. You had/did only what was necessary and it worked! I'm constantly reminding myself to fuss less, because horses survived perfectly well before 10 different types of rug/pony nuts/training methods were invented.