Simplifying feeding

Rockman

Visit site
Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on what people would feed my horse! He's a 7 year old, Welsh Section D, he's 16hh. He does a fair amount of work, usually a couple of clinics a week including jumping with some schooling and hacking sessions at home and usually 1 day off a week.

He's currently fed...
1x stubbs scoop Alfa A Oil
1/2 stubbs scoop conditioning mix
He has brewers yeast and salt added in.
Adlib haylage- he is mostly stabled with limited turnout during the winter.

He has recently had his teeth done and wormed up to date. Can be very lazy so not too worried about adding things which can add a bit of fizz!

He has struggled to maintain weight this winter so I'm looking into getting some micronised linseed to add into his feed. But before I did just wondered if anyone had any cheaper/simpler alternatives to his general feed!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Save your self hassle and get an independent equine nutritionist in!

(Unless you don't mind a bit/lot of research)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Id drop the conditioning mix and add oats and linseed. Oats are my go to to add weight. They dont usually have any effect on behaviour, but if you would like a bit more fizz, if they do that wont be a bad thing! I'd be tempted to drop the brewers yeast and add a powdered mineral balancer in. It depends why you feed the brewers yeast though?

Rockman

Visit site
Id drop the conditioning mix and add oats and linseed. Oats are my go to to add weight. They dont usually have any effect on behaviour, but if you would like a bit more fizz, if they do that wont be a bad thing! I'd be tempted to drop the brewers yeast and add a powdered mineral balancer in. It depends why you feed the brewers yeast though?
Thank you, I've never looked into oats but I'll definitely have a look into those today. I've always fed the brewers yeast as he can be a bit stressy sometimes so it's just helped to calm the irrational side of him and helped his feet and coat. Which powdered mineral balancer would you recommend?

The-Bookworm

Visit site
If you have limited turnout, he might just need grazing?
I would probably add a balancer if just on hayledge.
The one I had that used to drop off I just fed beet, oil and vitamin supplement.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on what people would feed my horse! He's a 7 year old, Welsh Section D, he's 16hh. He does a fair amount of work, usually a couple of clinics a week including jumping with some schooling and hacking sessions at home and usually 1 day off a week.

He's currently fed...
1x stubbs scoop Alfa A Oil
1/2 stubbs scoop conditioning mix
He has brewers yeast and salt added in.
Adlib haylage- he is mostly stabled with limited turnout during the winter.

He has recently had his teeth done and wormed up to date. Can be very lazy so not too worried about adding things which can add a bit of fizz!

He has struggled to maintain weight this winter so I'm looking into getting some micronised linseed to add into his feed. But before I did just wondered if anyone had any cheaper/simpler alternatives to his general feed!

Thank you in advance!

To get weight on, thirds are effective and cheap as chips. Longer term you could replace the conditioning mix with Pink Mash? I used to have Amber on Alfa A oil and conditioning mix and she also struggled to hold her weight. Pink Mash includes linseed already and is very cost effective. I added thirds initially to get her weight restored then dropped that and kept her on Alfa A oil and mash to maintain which she has done very well all winter in work.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Why would you drop the yeast LW? It's one of the few supplements around that have had extensive testing and it's very good for gut health.

twiggy2

Visit site
I would feed a basic unsweetened chaff, oats, a good balancer (pro hoof is what I feed/fed), yeast, salt, micronised linseed, unmolested (ha ha spellcheck, it's true but should say unmolassed) sugar beet and fresh ground black pepper.
Mine was a D cross, never fizzy, spooky or silly to be honest I have never had an issue with D's, she was in hard work and very fit.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I would feed a basic unsweetened chaff, oats, a good balancer (pro hoof is what I feed/fed), yeast, salt, micronised linseed, unmolested (ha ha spellcheck, it's true but should say unmolassed) sugar beet and fresh ground black pepper.
Mine was a D cross, never fizzy, spooky or silly to be honest I have never had an issue with D's, she was in hard work and very fit.

I am sure your horse is thriving on that. Sounds great. But not sure it fulfills the 'simplifying' brief! :D

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've never met anyone who needed to add fizz to a sec D!
I feed mine up, shes already quite Welsh but needs more whizz for her work ;)
Oats are a good feed for mine, I have swapped for top spec turbo now but fed rolled oats for a long time before then. Mine also does well on linseed and grass nuts, both of which are very economical.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I have to admit I am totally bewildered by the choices and options! But I admire people who can get their heads round it all. x

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I got a friend to try Enduro mix from Saracen just after xmas on her stodgy 16hh gelding, owned by her for 2 years. She was loath to try oats, hence me suggesting this mix as I'd had good results when I used it on a stodgy mare 4 years ago.
By week 4, her horse was responding much better and he's currently still doing very well on it.
I don't work for Saracen, nor usually use their feeds, but it's worth trying over a couple of bags.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you want simple I would try something like Saracen relieve if you want some fizz Dobson and Horrel competition mix .
Having said that I am an oats and linseed feeder mixed with either dried grass or bran .

Mule

Visit site
I find oats great for extra energy. Not crazy energy like the stereotype, just a bit of pep. They're also cheap.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Why would you drop the yeast LW? It's one of the few supplements around that have had extensive testing and it's very good for gut health.

Because the good stuff from brewers yeast is in most decent balancers, I've just swapped over to equimins. That seems to give the best spec for the lowest price :)