Single dogs

SO1

Visit site
I am staying at my sisters and have been looking after my sister's dog since 9 September as they are away looking after our parents due to my mum having ill health.

She is quite demanding. I am wfh and make sure she goes in the garden at least twice a day and take her for a long walk of at least an hour in the evenings.

She sleeps in the bed with me and follows me around all day.

My sister's routine works 2 minutes walk from home and in a normal working day will come back twice a day for half hour. Her first break being around 10am and then her second at lunch time and then she finishes at 4pm. Her husband is self employed and his time at home is varied but he will normally be out at least 3 days a week.

We talk a lot about horses being herd animals and needing equine companies but I rarely hear people mentioning the dogs are pack animals needing canine companionship.

Most people I know with dogs only have a single dog. I am now wondering perhaps if it is a now an established fact that it is a welfare issue to keep a horse without an equine companion why it is not a problem with a dog who are pack animals to keep a single dog and if in time people will decide that dogs need a canine companion.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We took on an elderly collie a couple of years ago. She did not settle at all with our other dogs, I would say she hated living here. My mum took her on, and her last few months, she was happy being the only dog. Mum was at home all day which may have helped.

The dogs we have at home now, apart from one who is happy enough in the pack, would not be happy alone whilst we are at work.

Spotherisk

Visit site
As a child we only ever had single dogs, when I met Mr StR he already had two dogs, and that number has ebbed and flowed over the years. Currently his dogs don’t come in the house and so Rew my lurcher is an only dog in someways. He gets to choose whether he goes out for a run with the others or not, he’d normally rather stay indoors with me. I can leave him home alone and he’s fine with that, but my MIL’s dog is a pita if she leaves him home, howling non-stop - she really could do with a second dog.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We had a GSD x Lab who never really seemed settled/happy in our pack, even though she came to us as a pup, with her litter sister. Eventually they were the only 2 dogs we had then sister died at home in her sleep. The remaining sister was much happier being an only dog, although she spent a lot of time cuddling the elderly cat.
Daycare Dog loves coming to spend time with our dogs when her owner is at work but she also thoroughly enjoys being the centre of attention at home.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I think one difference is the time they're left alone. I'd happily leave my horse for 22 hours a day with her herd (two checks a day) but don't like to leave my dog for more than 4 hours at a time so they have us for company.

Dogs sleep a lot more than horses so it's likely the time they're left they're asleep.

But I think the biggest difference is horses are prey so need company to feel safe.

Our previous dog was good with other dogs but wouldn't have accepted one in her home. We now have a little puppy and she loves everyone and everything. I make sure she has lots of meet ups with suitable dogs.

ArklePig

Visit site
I guess it depends on the dog. Mine is pretty dog neutral, she has met some she really loves and some she's not bothered about and one she hated in the year we've had her. In saying that, I think she could live with the right dog.

Our dog is pretty much the centre of our world and considers us her pack for sure, she would much rather be with us than with other dogs. I've been in dog parks where 2 or 3 dogs are playing and mine just wants to play with me. I guess it might be different for dogs who are left alone a lot or aren't part of the household in the same way. Mine does go to daycare once or twice a week and enjoys it but she really loves being our number one at home.

Mine isn't as needy either as what you describe, more likely your sisters dog is just missing her people and her routine.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I guess it depends on the dog. Mine is pretty dog neutral, she has met some she really loves and some she's not bothered about and one she hated in the year we've had her. In saying that, I think she could live with the right dog.

Our dog is pretty much the centre of our world and considers us her pack for sure, she would much rather be with us than with other dogs. I've been in dog parks where 2 or 3 dogs are playing and mine just wants to play with me. I guess it might be different for dogs who are left alone a lot or aren't part of the household in the same way. Mine does go to daycare once or twice a week and enjoys it but she really loves being our number one at home.

Mine isn't as needy either as what you describe, more likely your sisters dog is just missing her people and her routine.
I agree. OP are you sure your sisters dog isn't just missing her?

pistolpete

Visit site
I’ve thought this too. So much so that I joined a Facebook group where you dog sit for other people then they do it for you. So Meg could have some company now and again. Disaster! She galloped around so much on the first meet and greet she collided with a small wall in the garden and needed a trip to the vets! I’m keeping her as an only dog from now on. I’m retired so we are together a lot.

SO1

Visit site
She has been a lot better this time. The first time I looked after her she used go to the window to look for my sister but she has not been doing that at all this time. I am sure she does miss them though. My sister said they avoid doing things with her at the same time each day to avoid her getting expectations.

I think as I have been here over a week and do have a routine to fit around working she now has expectations.

We all snuggle up in bed together quite happily.

I agree. OP are you sure your sisters dog isn't just missing her?

Attachments

• 20230915_192703.jpg
    20230915_192703.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 20

marmalade76

Visit site
My dog sees other dogs when we're at the yard. Other than a brief sniff, she's not really interested. She will run round a bit with YO's dog but will tell her off if she initiates physical contact. She shows signs of jealousy if I fuss other dogs so I'd say my dog is happy being an only dog and her snout would be right out of joint if I got another.

Chucho

Visit site
I do think there is something about conspecific company that is important to ours. To the extent that I wouldn't choose to just have one alone again. Ours definitely get value from being in a pair that we couldn't give them if they were on their own. They're more relaxed in their way of being. That's not to say we don't have special relationships with them individually as we make time to do things with them individually and together so they're not ueberbonded. They also learn to stay home together and individually. It's not all about play play play either, just being in the presence of another. I guess there's probably a breed/line element to it and life experiences/expectations too. The first pair we had were a father-daughter pair who had always been together. The ones we've added subsequently have been with the breeder until 11 weeks (intentionally) and hang out with a group of dogs of various ages after weaning until coming to us. They're all very social individuals. They miss their partners when they go.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I think it would be wrong to lump all domestic dogs together, and say that they should all live with at least one other canine companion. As long as a dog is happy, and well-adjusted living as a single dog, then there's no problem to fix.

Besides, Fröjdis disapprove with limiting it to that specifically only canine company would be good enough!

jttzwuAi_o.jpg

TheMule

Visit site
Dogs are pack animals, but it isn’t as stressful for them to not be with others because they are carnivores so, once adults, don’t rely on being in that group for survival. Horses are prey animals and their basic instinct is safety in numbers, hence why it is very stressful for them to not be in group living.

Moobli

Visit site
I’d say mine and OH’s collies enjoy running together but as working dogs their main joy is work and I don’t think they’d mind being single dogs at all. My GSDs are close in age and do enjoy each others company but equally they enjoy having me to themselves. So while dogs are pack animals I think their relationship with humans over many years has made them less reliant on other dogs for survival (ie hunting) and companionship because they have us. Horses, sheep, cows etc are prey animals so feel there is safety in numbers, which isn’t the case with most predators.

scats

Visit site
JD was a solo dog for the first 8 years of her life, but we had cats and there’s 3 of us living at home so she was rarely alone for more than a few hours.
Then we got Bess and then Lily-Rose. JD likes her pack now and she was curious about the new pups arriving but I don’t think she was overly excited about having company. I think she actually enjoyed life as a solo dog. They’ve never been the type of dogs to snuggle up together or anything.
Bess and Lily-Rose enjoy a play fight and they all look for each other if one is missing and they keep an eye out for each other on walks like a proper little pack, but they are all quite secure individuals who don’t spend much time together at home.

irishdraft

Visit site
When we got our first dog a border collie he was on his own for 6 months then we got another collie. I think the first collie would have been quite happy on his own. We then got a terrier & have always had 2 collies & a terrier ever since.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I had always had multiple dogs who lived happily together but of those there were a couple who would have lived quite happily without the company of other dogs. The dog in my avatar was the last of the 'pack' and because he wasn't in the best of health I didn't get another while he was alive. I thought he would miss the company of the others but I think he enjoyed being an only dog. The big girl is happy on her own and I wouldn't want to rock the boat by getting another.

hazelnut

Visit site
This makes me feel a little better. I’ve been worried about my current single dog. I’ve had many over the years but no singles. He seems happy and is very neutral with other dogs and I’m around mostly but I still worry.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Alot of dogs will follow their main human around and if that person is not available they will stick to whoever is looking after them, I don't think it has anything to do with being an only dog, I have 2 dogs and they both follow me everywhere 😁
This is exactly my sister's fluffbutt. When I look after her, she's stuck to me like glue (way more than my own dog) and isn't really bothered by my monster.
Monster is currently an only dog and seems quite relaxed about it (he will go and lie in another room from me if it suits him), but that is about to change. I hope he tolerates the new puppy well.

Jenko109

Visit site
I have one (older lurcher) who would adore being the only dog. She would prefer if her and I were the only two beings alive in this world, I'm sure of it.

My collie x GSD loves companionship both with humans and with the dogs at home.

The whippet adores dogs and I think would always be happier in a multi dog household. He prefers the companionship of his canine friends more than he does with me I would say.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Interesting thread as it’s a thought DH and I have had often. Ours is a single dog although our cat thinks he’s a dog and they cuddle up together/play together a lot.

Problem is we’d only know if our dog was happier by getting another dog and then there’s no going back!