Single Lifestage Dry Dog Food for 4 Month Old Pup & 12yo dog?

TGM

Visit site
Currently have two dogs, a 12yo lurcher/collie type and 16 week old whippet puppy, both in good condition, neither underweight or overweight. The older dog has been on Burns Fish and Rice for about 11 years as found it was about the only food that didn't upset her sensitive tum. Pup is currently on Royal Canin puppy food as recommended by the breeder.

Now as I am getting to the end of the bag of Royal Canin I am wondered whether to continue with this or go for something else. I have been interested in feeds such as Akela Fish Feast which are described as 'Single Lifestage' so can be fed to both the pup and the older dog. Anyone got any opinions on this or tried this food for puppies?

Or am I best sticking to what is currently working?!

And because I know it is illegal on HHO to mention puppies without posting pics, here is a photo of said whippet puppy, as you can see she is a bit of a poser!

F6AjsiV.jpg

bonny

Visit site
I am in a similar position to you having an old dog and a pup and I would carry on feeding them differently for now, I am planning to do that till the youngster is a year old. They have very different energy levels, one is growing, one isn't and my old dog, like yours is easily upset now by any changes in her diet whereas the young dog can and does eat anything !

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Beautiful pic!

Have you looked at the Millieswolfheart range of dog food?
My Collie is currently on one of their 70/30 range and has never looked better, and in the future when I get my next pup, it will be on one of their 50/50 range so the protein is not too high.

Clodagh

Visit site
We put pups on adult food as soon as we change over from what the breeder supplies. Like Sprout, mine are on millies now so next pup will go on that.

That is a stunning pup, is she blue merle?

TGM

Visit site
That is a stunning pup, is she blue merle?
Thank you. I have been told she is a dilute brindle and that seems to correspond with what I've read online, but I am no expert on dog colour genetics so am happy to be corrected!

Just had a look on the Millies Wolfheart site and if I use their 'what feed' calculator, if I put in details of the pup and of the older dog, one of the suggestions for both is Salmon and Veg. Looking at the ingredients there doesn't seem to be anything in there which will upset the older dog's tum, so is certainly an option to consider. It would obviously be more convenient for me to have them on the same feed, but I don't want that to be to the detriment of either of them!

Clodagh

Visit site
Well whatever she is, she is lovely. Are her eyes blue?
Millies works for mine, older dog gets dandruff if she has any grain and younger lab gets bad ears with grain or beet pulp. Both look well on millies.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Shes gorgeous and what i know as a blue brindle. I have a whippet and a bedlington and I love the real mix of colours we get in Whippets. I moved on to adult dog food as soon as i got my puppy home. But then i use raw, so i just smashed it up slightly smaller than I give to my dog. I have been told there is no need to feed puppy food, its a marketing gimmick. But I would get the puppy off the royal canin ASAP as its not really a good food at any lifestage.

TGM

Visit site
Well whatever she is, she is lovely. Are her eyes blue?
Millies works for mine, older dog gets dandruff if she has any grain and younger lab gets bad ears with grain or beet pulp. Both look well on millies.

Her eyes are sort of bluey, greyish brown - lighter than a normal dog eye, but not a proper blue. Problem ingredients for my old dog seem to be some red meats, wheat and beet pulp, so looks like the Millies Salmon & Veg should be OK.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
fish 4 dogs may work, and barking heads do salmon and chicken and are wheat and beet free. And most pet food stores do extremely good salmon and chicken dog foods that are wheat and beet free.

TGM

Visit site
Shes gorgeous and what i know as a blue brindle. I have a whippet and a bedlington and I love the real mix of colours we get in Whippets. I moved on to adult dog food as soon as i got my puppy home. But then i use raw, so i just smashed it up slightly smaller than I give to my dog. I have been told there is no need to feed puppy food, its a marketing gimmick. But I would get the puppy off the royal canin ASAP as its not really a good food at any lifestage.

Yes I think 'blue brindle' is the proper term, I think dilute brindle is more a genetic expression of the colour. I agree I have been amazed at the complexity of colours and markings in whippets as I looked into them! I agree about the Royal Canin too, would not be my first choice but was what she was on when she came to me so didn't want to change feed straightaway.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if it was me i would change the pup to something better but i would keep the old dog on the food she is on. if she has a dodgy tum its really not worth upsetting it as she is 12 and it could impact on her general health....and they go downhill quite quickly at that age....your pup is beautiful....

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Dump the Royal Canin, it's extremely expensive for what it is and more importantly, contains proven carcinogenics as a preservative.

Puppy food is a bit of a myth and if you stand and analyse ingredients, the main difference is half a percent in protein. Go and look at the decent stuff in a big pet store or on the allaboutdogfood website. The big issue for puppy/adult food is the phosphate level, but as that is rarely noted, you can't be sure. I weaned my last pup on adult food. Go for the best quality you can afford, there's something decent for every budget.

TGM

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help. I will definitely be changing the pup off the Royal Canin, but will opt for one of the fish based feeds recommended above. I will do a gradual changeover with the pup and will probably start to mix some of the new food into the old dog's diet and see how she goes.

TGM

Visit site
You have had plenty of helpful replies re dog food so just wanted to say what a beautiful whippet pup you have. Lucky you, enjoy!

Thank you, she is a delight and great fun to have around, even if she does seem to take up most of my time at the moment!

seaofdreams

Visit site
I feed my two Salmon & Veg from Millies, Star my greyhound has an extremely sensitive tummy but she has been great on Millies, I was a little worried changing her over when we got her from the rescue but that was 10 months ago now and she has been fine.
Beautiful pup :)

TGM

Visit site
Thanks seaofdreams and everyone else. Have ordered a bag of Millie's Salmon & Veg and will start mixing it in with the existing food of the two dogs and see how we go!