sinusitis

Noodlebug

Visit site
Has anyone dealt with this. Mare had lots of snot last Sunday and vet thought it was sinusitis as out of one nostril only. Been on antibiotics since then and no snot or last on Tuesday, however today lots of snot again but pale yellow rather than yellow/green in colour and far more watery. I assume this is just it draining?

twiggy2

Visit site
i have personal experience and it is very painful, i believe in horses it can lead to a need for surgery-give soaked hay from the floor to encourage the head to be lowered as it encourages the draining process

loopylucifer

Visit site
oh yes it smells! many seem to respond well to long course of antib's but some don't. Think I put pictures up in the photo gallery of one I look after that had chronic sinusitis. After long antib course (over a month) and no let up in yellow smelly snot(been scoped already and teeth check) had x rays which showed left sinus totally full of pus. She had standing surgery to cut a flap in her head to drain the now very putrid pus and necrotic tissue (smelt delightful!) and to increase the size of the drainage hole. A year on and no further problems small bump on nose but other than that you would know any different. but she is an exception many respond well to antibs just takes a while

Sneedy

Visit site
oh yes it smells! many seem to respond well to long course of antib's but some don't. Think I put pictures up in the photo gallery of one I look after that had chronic sinusitis. After long antib course (over a month) and no let up in yellow smelly snot(been scoped already and teeth check) had x rays which showed left sinus totally full of pus. She had standing surgery to cut a flap in her head to drain the now very putrid pus and necrotic tissue (smelt delightful!) and to increase the size of the drainage hole. A year on and no further problems small bump on nose but other than that you would know any different. but she is an exception many respond well to antibs just takes a while

Have been through the same with my chap this year. Had a CT scan which showed his head was full of stinky cheese! Had the flap op and 'snorkel' in with twice daily flushing. Also had a rancid tooth removed!

This was 6 months ago and we are have bern snot free for a week now after a course of Baytril to get rid of a nasty resistant snot bug..........I have everything crossed that that's the end, it's been a rather extreme roller coaster of a year!

Good luck :)

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Mine had sinusitis in 2010 and ended up with 3 months in hospital due to the incompetence of the veterinary team dealing with it. It turned out to be a rotten tooth which had been missed at the beginning, despite x-rays and other investigation. Cost £6500 to sort it all out. Good luck, but if it continues, I would be demanding x-rays to see if there is a tooth issue there.

Noodlebug

Visit site
Just spoken to my vet today and she is going to give her different antibiotics for 2 weeks and then if no change x-rays!! Trouble is she is 22yrs and not insured for disease only injury!

Sneedy

Visit site
Has your vet thoroughly examined her teeth? If there is a skanky tooth there you could be wasting time and money not dealing with the cause?

Wish I hadn't written that we were finally snot free........had a good splattering of snot this morning after being ridden :(