Sitting overjumping?

TheHairyOne

Visit site
After your horse jumps like this! We cleared the fence by a mile, but he catapaulted me out the saddle on the landing! He backed off a fair bit going in hence the duff stride.

Just a bit of fun, but seriously, how are you supposed to go with this properly? Thankfully its not his normal style, but he loves his jumping and i occasionally get a huge jump i am not expecting. Im comfy around 90cms...horse can do a lot more than that!

1382428_10151946027387254_1259275407_n.jpg

muckypony

Visit site
Haha, my boy is a pro at this!! I have a cracking pic of him doing arena xc with one pic showing his front end miles above the fence, and then the following one with his back end ever higher and me holding on for dear life as if we've just jumped off the Hickstead bank!!

I find the only way is to have your stirrups nice and short, get the lower leg forwards and do not let it move! We now only tend to get them xc so I always have a neck strap so I can grab it if (when!) needed for a bit of balance instead if socking him in the gob.

Amicus

Visit site
I use to event the superspookcatleapextreme and found the best way to survive was short stirrups legs forward and be ready to give rein once in the air the other thing was grabbing mane/neck strap. Cracking photo though!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I dislocated my thumb missing the neck strap and just finding neck! Ouch! :)

I am very very good at slipping the reins on the down, so i hopefully dont cause too much mouth socking and this is the only time hes actually had me off. I dont see how i could have legs forward at this moment in time though, id fall off the back!

Queenbee

Visit site
Haha, my boy is a pro at this!! I have a cracking pic of him doing arena xc with one pic showing his front end miles above the fence, and then the following one with his back end ever higher and me holding on for dear life as if we've just jumped off the Hickstead bank!!

I find the only way is to have your stirrups nice and short, get the lower leg forwards and do not let it move! We now only tend to get them xc so I always have a neck strap so I can grab it if (when!) needed for a bit of balance instead if socking him in the gob.

gods yes! I can relate... I have had a few of these and yes SHORT STIRRUPS!! Although if you really want some pro tips... you want Claire_R... you should see her horse do a monster jump... how the girl stays on the back of that horse when she has the wind up her tail is quite frankly unbelievable! Im sure CR wont mind me spreading the love of her lovely mare!

11738002_952828074755365_4758977320758727651_n.jpg

11695953_952828058088700_6466009510245595252_n.jpg

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I love this picture - no idea who it is but hell it can jump!
Screenshot2010-08-29at004757.png

Wonder how that ended!

Op you need a neck strap. One long enough to get a hold of before the jump. Mane grabbing is a good way to damage your fingers. I got away with it for years then seriously damaged my finger twice in a month on the same (over jumping) horse. Now I always have a neck strap.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I love this picture - no idea who it is but hell it can jump!
Screenshot2010-08-29at004757.png

Wonder how that ended!

Op you need a neck strap. One long enough to get a hold of before the jump. Mane grabbing is a good way to damage your fingers. I got away with it for years then seriously damaged my finger twice in a month on the same (over jumping) horse. Now I always have a neck strap.

That's Phoebe Buckley and yes a bit of an overjump!

Yes, Phoebe Buckley, and that picture was a still taken from the video of her 2010 bloopers. I would have a look at her position, as the jump did not undseat her in the slightest, nor was she unseated during refusals, leaps, spins.....

[video=youtube;rqi3PBEPDsE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqi3PBEPDsE[/video]

The water jump is at 1.21 on the video.

Last edited:

EQUIDAE

Visit site
If you ever find the magic cure let me know.

I find with my exploding mare is I need to keep my leg on to get her to the fence and keep the canter powerful. If I take my leg off and she drops the pace a little she chips a little extra stride in and jumps it massive.

Lintel

Visit site
Haha loving the pictures! My boy is also pro at this being a highland he tends to fire his way up then stick in a cheeky wee stride before hand and takes off like a deer!
My technique now is.... Throw my reins away get the OMG laughing face on and of nessecary grab a handful of mane!

This being said not ideal for jumping a course unless you can rely on a super quick recovery!

AngelitoCaz

Visit site
These pictures are scaring me as I'm taking my youngster to her first xc tomorrow!
My YO catchphrase is sit back I find that and slipping the reins is about all you can do, we have one one that occasionally over jumps then drops a shoulder on landing if anyone knows how you sit that apart from a seatbelt I'd love to know