Sitting to an overjump

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
Now when we first got Roo, he would jump everything as if it were about 4', and he's settled down a lot at home, but out and about he REALLY overjumps!! he jumps 2'3 as if it were 6'! i know that if i ride fairly fast into the fence he won't need to leap so high, but tbh even if i gallop at it he still overjumps quite badly! same thing happens when we go slow and steady, too (don't worry, we're only sticking to about 2') i know he just needs confidence and will hopefully improve pretty quickly, but that means i actually have to get out and do more jumping if he'll every get better!
laugh.gif

soo... do you have any tips about how to not be launched into space when he overjumps?
tongue.gif
he's 13.1hh and 5 years old btw
smile.gif

Diggerdog

Visit site
Why not take him somewhere new and jump him on a lunge line before you get on? That way he can sort himself out and get more confident without you having to worry about coming off or catching him in the mouth.

Gucci_b

Visit site
pole work, place pole work and grid work, had this prob with my horse. get some help on the ground to see where you might be going wrong?? are you giving enough rein or holding back as you think he might over jump!!

Drummer

Visit site
Ehh my horse does as and when it suits him, I just always jump in a breasplate incase I feel I need to hold on, I don't think I get the chance to but feel more prepared especially where he is a baldy so no mane.

Parkranger

Visit site
I would think gridwork would be good too. Sometihng else to do is make sure you're not gripping with your knees - I used to do that and make my loan horse jump everything twice as large!

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
I probably am gripping with my knees!
tongue.gif
he did it with his old owner too, and as he's quite small and has a real short neck, you feel like there's nothing in front of you!
tongue.gif
yes, all good suggestions, i think i will try the lunging one asap, and i'll try to relax when we jump
smile.gif
i'll get a vid so you guys can see if i'm doing something obvious
wink.gif
thankies!