Sitting Trot.....

TicTac

Visit site
Have you mastered it? I watch really good riders who make it look effortless and notice that they all seem to move from the hip in a sort of upward motion that is in tune with the horses rythm, this coupled with a secure and still lower leg.

Sitting trot is a movement I would love to perfect and I know it takes plenty of practice! But has anybody got any tips on how to relax and go with the flow?

NW1

Visit site
relax totally (not wobbly tho!!), do it in short periods because you can 'loose' the comforable relaxed posture after a while, keep the trot steady! Good luck

millitiger

Visit site
Lots and lots of riding without stirrups, also if you can get someone to lunge the horse that is great.

i did 1 year of no stirrups at a dressage yard i worked at- doing all lateral work etc.
started off 5 minutes at a time and then i had to have a break; ended up being able to do the whole hour without struggling.

also helps to think of your hips as a pendulum rocking backwards and forwards whilst keeping your chest out and up.

sky1234

Visit site
This might sound silly, but I find that a really good sports bra which clamps everything down helps me massively! It's suprising how much a difference it makes compared to wearing a normal bra!

JosieSmith

Visit site
I had lots and lots and lots of lessons on the lunge without stirrups. Eventually I mastered it (although now, years later, have lost it again!). Plenty of practice I would say. I found it easier on the lunge as I could concentrate solely on my position and going with the movement rather than having to control the horse too.

little_critter

Visit site
I read somewhere to imagine you have a rubber ball in your stomach and as you do sitting trot to imagine bouncing this ball up and down. It seems to help me.
Also don't go too floppy and relaxed - you need some control / tension in your body. I mean GOOD tension - control of your muscles, not being a rag doll. You don't want to be 'tense' (no gripping allowed!). Hope this isn't gibberish!

Tickles

Visit site
Ditto a snug body-protector. (Hunting a corset anyone?!?)

But as others have said... no stirrups and only for a short while to start with, there is no point learning to do it wobbly. Better to do just a few strides, then go rising when you feel you're 'loosing' it. Back to sitting once you're relaxed again.

Also (she says feeling very disloyal) some horses will just be more comfy for you than others... if you have the opportunity to try a few (friends/RS/on holiday/whatever) you might end up relaxing more once you've found some of the 'easy' (for you) ones.

K27

Visit site
I've always been told that you have to have a bit of movement in your lower back and hips and go with the movement and not against it, you need to sit still, but not so much that you are totally "stuck" to the saddle, just enough to be able to influence your horse and get their back to lift, it's a very very small upward movement.

Sparklet

Visit site
I find it helps to have a slight walking movement with my legs and hips following the horses movement.

I also find when I first bring my horse out she needs some time to loosen up and become soft otherwise she holds her back against me which makes it much more difficult.

Hippona

Visit site
People who look as though they are not moving in the saddle at sitting trot....well, they ARE moving, just with the horse, not against it, IYKWIM.

Try not to let your lower back get stiff, keep breathing and relax through your pelvis.

Some horses are just easier than others though....but yeah....work with no stirrups in trot and canter- it really helps. or...get a jiggy horse....you soon master the sitting trot then
blush.gif

The harder you 'try'......the more difficult it is
grin.gif

dobbin27

Visit site
As above, but if you (like me!) struggle to get the whole movement thing try pushing down slightly on your inside stirrup as your horses outside front leg comes back and then vice versa in the same rhythm as rising trot.... If that makes any sense at all?! It makes you move your pelvis kind of by accident and makes it really easy to move with the horses back...

sydney

Visit site

Watched a really interesting clip on YouTube from Heather Moffett demonstrating how to move with the trot on her Equisimulator demo horse.

Cannot for the life of me get my head round it though... tried reading her sitting trot theory too and still no idea. If you get chance have a look at the clip- think the theory sounds very interesting and if I could figure out what she means bet it would work (might just be being very thick...).

tinkerbell88

Visit site
One thing that I have heard said about sitting trot is not to try to actually be still. When doing sitting trot you are supposed to be moving with the horse but many people try too hard to actually sit still.
Also leesons on the lunge help too so you can concentrate on yourself and not have to worry that you are about to crash into something!

EllaBellaBoo

Visit site
the way i have been taught to do it is to soften the pelvis and open the hips to allow you to sit deep in the saddle, allow your shoulders blades to slide down your back, pull you tummy button towards your spine and make sure you are sat on your fork (2seat bones and pubic bone) equally, then you should have a straight line through your spine (having an arched back either way will give you chronic back ache and not allow you to move with the horse) then imagine tilting your pelvis forward as the inside hind leg comes through, this should allow you to absorb the movement. It is very important to keep your tummy pulled in though as this is what will keep your shoulders and arms stable so that you are not catching the horse in the mouth. Also very important to remember to breathe, you can't relax if you are holding your breath.

Hope this helps and that i haven't rambled to much!