Sitting trot

Mistyers

Visit site
Please if there is anyone out there who can give me tips on how to help my 7 year old with her sitting trot I would be grateful
Rising trot... Perfect
Sitting trot she is bobbling all over the place...
Thank you

CMcC

Visit site
I really wouldn’t be expecting your daughter to be doing sitting trot at this stage. She needs to develop her balance and confidence. Until then kinder on pony’s back and daughters confidence to stick with rising trot.
Does she have lessons? Instructor might do some exercises without stirrups.
I would leave it to an instructor to help her progress.

[153312]

Visit site
Some lessons with an instructor on the lunge without stirrups would help but she's a bit young..... No One expects anyone to be perfect at 7, the focus should be on keeping it fun and safe so they're confident and happy in the saddle. If they have that, the 'skill' of it will fall into place with time.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Most little legs on little ponies just can't offer the stability for sitting trot, in part because of wide, large ribcages compared to leg length. Most pony saddles aren't great for the rider either. I don't think there's any need for her to be doing sitting trot for a while yet, even if she's doing pure dressage it's not mandatory till higher levels and isn't really needed even for basic collection, even if it's very useful done well.

Mistyers

Visit site
I really wouldn’t be expecting your daughter to be doing sitting trot at this stage. She needs to develop her balance and confidence. Until then kinder on pony’s back and daughters confidence to stick with rising trot.
Does she have lessons? Instructor might do some exercises without stirrups.
I would leave it to an instructor to help her progress.
Thank you. She does have private lessons I will ask the teachers advice.
My daughter really wants to canter and she tries really hard but bobbles all over the place and loses control of her reins ? work in progress.... Thank you so much

Mistyers

Visit site
Most little legs on little ponies just can't offer the stability for sitting trot, in part because of wide, large ribcages compared to leg length. Most pony saddles aren't great for the rider either. I don't think there's any need for her to be doing sitting trot for a while yet, even if she's doing pure dressage it's not mandatory till higher levels and isn't really needed even for basic collection, even if it's very useful done well.
Brilliant! Thank you so much

Mistyers

Visit site
Some lessons with an instructor on the lunge without stirrups would help but she's a bit young..... No One expects anyone to be perfect at 7, the focus should be on keeping it fun and safe so they're confident and happy in the saddle. If they have that, the 'skill' of it will fall into place with time.
Excellent advice! Thanks a million

mini_b

Visit site
Thank you. She does have private lessons I will ask the teachers advice.
My daughter really wants to canter and she tries really hard but bobbles all over the place and loses control of her reins ? work in progress.... Thank you so much

At that age she will work out canter without having to learn to sit to trot beautifully. since she has private lessons she can learn to canter on the lunge to get a feel for the motion of the canter without worrying about dropping her knitting

kids do tend to bobble about. My child rides a bit to join in with me sometimes (no lessons)
They can’t really steer and just about manage a rising trot on a good day but can canter with saintly pony dutifully following the horse in front. So I’m sure your daughter is doing far better than you think!