Sizing a Micklem Bridle

Rollin

Visit site
I want to buy a Mickem bridle for our Shagya mare. I can find no information on sizing. Other than 'standard horse' and large horse. Although she is a Shagya Arab mots people think she is a TB. She does not have a tiny face. Currently in a full size Barnsby. Measurement bit to bit around behind her ears is 115cm.

Somewhere I read that someone had trouble with the bit clips. Very important to get it right. I assume for SJ a competition bridle?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Photo attached.

C7D21086_zpsr15ticsf.jpg

Britestar

Visit site
My 14.1 3/4tb is in a small horse.
16.2hh 3/4 tb is in a standard horse - this also fitted the 14.1hh on the highest settings.
15.1 cob is in a standard horse.

I don't use the bit clips as not legal for dressage. The big horse has the multi bridle, the others are competition ones. Only the small horse one was bought new, others were 2nd hand.

PorkChop

Visit site
We had a 15.3hh Connie x in a small horse.
A 15.3hh chunky Anglo x in a standard horse, the large also fits her.
A 15.3hh TB x in a standard horse.

I don't use the bit clips, and ours are the competition bridle.

Rollin

Visit site
Thank you both for your help. Stupid question now - I thought you needed bit clips to attach the bit? Not necessary?

I am hoping this mare will stop throwing her head. We and two pro riders have tried everything. It is a shame because she is a fantastic jumper.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Got a 16.2 tb with a dainty face in a small horse. He doesn't fit a standard bridle as he takes a full headpiece and browband and cob cheekpieces.

Mine is the competition rather than the multi and has straps not clips to attach the bit

ETA the reason mine is difficult to fit in standard bridles and why i ended up with a small horse, is that he is almost arab like in that he has a wide forehead and small muzzle but crucially his head is short.

Last edited:

McFluff

Visit site
I have my 14hh cob in a small horse size (competition bridle)

I used this guide to work out what one to get - seemed to work for me. https://www.horsefit.co.nz/pages/micklem-fitting-guide

I put a different brow band on as I felt the supplied one was a bit tight.

To attach the bit to the bridle you can either use the leather straps (very stiff at first, but they do soften) or clips. In addition you can clip the bit to the noseband to make it more stable (not sure I've described that well). This can be against competition rules (e.g. BD). It comes with four straps and four clips, so you can choose best set up. Hope this helps.

Tegan

Visit site
We have our 14.3hh Cob in a standard horse (normally takes a cob size bridle). The Micklem bridle plus happy mouth Straight bar eggbutt snaffle has helped immensely with head tossing.

albeg

Visit site
I found this while looking for the browband sizes a while back.

My 14.2 (broad forehead) is in the cob/small horse size, with a standard horse browband (or possibly large horse, I'm not sure without double checking the measurements). He's cob sized in a standard bridle.

Last edited: