SJ lesson with Andrew Downes

Pidgeon

Visit site
So been having a few lessons with Andrew as he comes down to teach for a full day at our yard. On a previous lesson I got a tad complacent with skinnies as Pidge is good with them, so ended up with egg on my face :rolleyes: lesson learnt don't get complacent!
So another lesson on Sat and concentrated on me paying more attention than normal and trying to make some scary fences/skinnies.
So a couple of the ginger beastie in action, excuse my position as not really jumped much SJ in a while.
Started off with wider fences but concentrating on jumping a particular block which went well
Jan2012lesson063.jpg

Jan2012lesson067.jpg

Then made them smaller and tried to vary them a bit so he didn't get too cocky and try to take charge!
Jan2012lesson086.jpg

Jan2012lesson088.jpg

Jan2012lesson102.jpg

He was getting a bit keen towards this hence my grimace :eek:
Jan2012lesson116.jpg

Jan2012lesson128.jpg

Was very pleased how he jumped as we put all 3 fences together and despite him getting a bit keen by the 3rd jump I was really pleased with how much more chilled out he was :D Still has the "I want to jump" attitude but much more willing to listen to me on the speed, most of the time although will admit to overshooting one of the turns once :eek:
So any ideas on what else we can do to make scary fences? And how do you think Pig is looking as this is his first winter living out 24/7?
Green seedless grapes on offer as am doing reasonably well on my NY resolution ;)

Pidgeon

Visit site
Thanks, can't believe he'll be 15 in April :eek:
really need to do some more work on my lower leg its gone awful :eek:
Jan2012lesson139.jpg

BombayMix

Visit site
For spooky fences you can try hanging a coat over a pole - I had the most sane/fantastic SJer who never looked at ANYTHING at it took him a long time to realise a coat was jumpable!

How big is Pidge? He makes them all look like a pole on the floor! :)

Pidgeon

Visit site
Tried that and he never even noticed it was there :rolleyes:
He's 17hh so even makes the last one at just over 3' look small :eek: Bit worried by how little effort he puts in to jump these, I know he wants to jump bigger but my limit is about 3'3" :eek:

kildalton

Visit site
Tried that and he never even noticed it was there :rolleyes:
He's 17hh so even makes the last one at just over 3' look small :eek: Bit worried by how little effort he puts in to jump these, I know he wants to jump bigger but my limit is about 3'3" :eek:

He looks fabulous, living out must suit him. He's got a lovely attitude, bless him XXX

Pidgeon

Visit site
Thanks L, he's so much happier living out, though mean mother has him in a sheet at the moment as he's a tough hot Irish boy ;):p

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
YAY Pidge photos! ;) :D

He looks great! Living out seems to suit him!
I'm impresed at your skinnies a great variety there and very straight over them! Only others you could maybe make are the ones Gamebird has - so 1/2 a blue drum on blocks (look for her last thread) they looked pretty scary! ;)

Oh and 3'3 my limit - pft! Who said they would never go above BE80? ;) :)

Pidgeon

Visit site
I know prompted by someone on here :rolleyes::D
Ah yes so I could use the poly blocks and pop the yellow tube on top, great idea thanks :)
Living out certainly does seem to suit him, both fitness and temprament wise. And "cough cough" did I really say that ages ago :eek::p

MandyMoo

Visit site
ahh i love pidge! :D and he looks fantastic, living out definitely suits him (all mine live out too!! just come in for a feed/exercise/rug change)

agree with BombayMix with hanging a coat over a pole on a fence, very scary!!! :eek: or maybe using some tarp type material underneath the fence like a water tray if he isn't used to those??

have fun jumping many scary things!! :D

Pidgeon

Visit site
Thanks, definately going to keep him out as long as I can I think!
Ooh so perhaps I could replicate a water tray with some tarp then? Will see what I can scrounge to make some scary jumps, thanks :D

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Blast! Have to wait 'till this evening to see Pidge pictures :eek::rolleyes:

Well done anyway :D

Re. scary jumps... We bought some planting trays from the local garden centre - they make great water jumps :D. Had the horses walking over them and standing on them (just watch they don't stand on the edge and flip them up! Dizz did that, but luckily she's surprisingly not bothered by such things - though show her a different cololured patch of tarmac on the ground and she's three counties away sidways :rolleyes::eek::D).

Pidgeon

Visit site
LOL at the Dizzy one! Pidge spooked at a tree trunk placed in a gateway :rolleyes: if I'd come at it head on and asked him to jump it he wouldn't have even looked at it :eek:

FRaNKjaCk

Visit site
I'm impresed at your skinnies a great variety there and very straight over them! Only others you could maybe make are the ones Gamebird has - so 1/2 a blue drum on blocks (look for her last thread) they looked pretty scary!

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Ah Pigde pics I have missed them:)

He is looking great S.

I have a variety of old rugs with straps and buckles cut off that we hang over poles, can be interesting if there is a bit of a breeze;)

Pidgeon

Visit site
Thanks I was concentrating hard to ride properly for a change ;)
H, I can't believe how well he's looking bearing in mind he's out full time :D Ooh that sounds like a good idea with the rugs will have to see what I can find thanks :)

Pidgeon

Visit site
Thanks, and yes a little though hard to tell with how many layers I was wearing it was sooooo cold!
I know I'm very lucky to have him, hope to see you at Eland later this year?