SJ the Ex Racer........help needed

C&C

Visit site
Have started jumping new boy today but am having probs with him dropping his front legs, he isnt tucking his front legs up but he gives plenty of room with the backend....each fence (3ft ish, any smaller was pointless as he was falling over it) we knocked down quite dramatically, he kicks the poles right out infront of him. He is quite bold and always takes you in so he enjoys it but need to get him lifting infront. He has never done SJ before, only with me so its all new to him. Apparently his XC is awesome but then i guess he knows the fences dont exactly move if you hit them!! lol

Friend has said to do carrot stretches with him to soften him thru his back, she is going to give him a few Bowen treatments as well (she is training).

Is there anything else i can do to teach him to tuck up his front feet?

Im guessing this has stemmed from hurdling and chasing as a friend had the same prob when she started SJ her ex racer.

Any help, advice and tips appreciated.

Thanks

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Use cross poles instead of up right jumps.
Also pointy poles as my instructor calls them!
Poles made into a v shape to make him give the jump room in front and make.him tuck up in front.

C&C

Visit site
Cool. Thanks. Will give these a go. Thinking about it i was only jumping one upright fence. Maybe i should try a spread? I will have to bring in a double sometime to. Its getting a friend or the OH to come and help as its a pain when you have to keep getting off to put fence back up or change it :/

C&C

Visit site
Lovely thanks. Will defo give this a go. Alot of peeps have said about gridwork as well.

I am going to get out to some Rallies with my riding club soon (now got transport) so will look for poles and gridwork sessions :)

Visit site
This is going to sound really mean, but is he booted? I find that if my mare is booted she'll trash them, not booted, she knocks one is super careful after that! I second the V work as well, works great on a grid too as the second part of the double, first time I did that i was surprised my mare had the movement to tuck in that much! Good luck!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
What is his canter like? Both on the flat and on the way up to jumps?
Wilby (my ex-racer, although he never jump raced so I can't blame his problems on that :p) finds it impossible to pick up if he is fighting and so tight through his back and neck on approach - he then struggles to use his back and so just jumps higher but leaves his legs hanging. In fact, his record was 15 fences in a row, and that was with someone who's represented GB on top :eek: As soon as he stopped fighting he left them up...
So the canter and approach would now always be my first port of call, followed by high sided cross poles, bounce fences, placing poles and V-poles/A-frames :) Plus lots of jumping from trot, stopping and waiting inbetween fences etc if he is rushing.